Why become a member? ×

electro acoustic bass

geordiemick

I want to buy an acoustic bass, not too expensive. I have a Swift, but its really bad. Any advice. What about the Gear For Music bass?

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Electro-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-by-Gear4music/BLX?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=15045d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=94913499919&gclid=CjwKEAiAjfq2BRDpmdHmssaW5xsSJABToP4lE1mJMC0Ek2df122qm2V6c9zMeUr9IHqz9IDrRhzweBoCa3jw_wcB"]http://www.gear4musi...hzweBoCa3jw_wcB[/url]

What is your budget. Can't help that a £90 acoustic bass may be a bit cheap and nasty (pure presumption- it may be brilliant) but may be fine for home noodling.

When I needed an electro acoustic bass for home and on stage use I plumped for a Faith Titan Neptune acoustic bass. Really nice and with a great sound but 5 times the price of the G4M model. It was about £500 when I bought it a couple of yearsw ago but seems to have had a price hike since then. Other I looked at uin the £500 mark included Tanglewoods, Sigmas and Takamines. The Faith was head and shoulders above the others with a simple but really great sounding preamp and a hard case includd in the price.

However, it will all come down to thje price point you are able to run to and what that provides... better woods and build, solid top, case thrown in, quality of pickup and electronics...

Your typical ABG will keep up with nylon stringed guitars, but as soon as someone starts strumming a steel stringed guitar, you will not be heard.

You will need an amp, so have you checked whether the places you plan to play will allow you to use one?

Assuming that you can use an amp your options look much better - an ABG that sounds like a cardboard box acoustically can still provide a good sound through an amp. Check out the Youtube clips of the Thomann Harley Benton acoustic basses.

David

The Harley Benton ones I've seen were awful, serious neck and hardware issues. The best cheap(ish) ones I've seen are Tanglewood or Brunswick, but they are not as cheap as the Harley Benton.

Edited by EmmettC

I've had a Stagg electro-acoustic and construction wise it feels great, really nice to sit around and learn songs with. Its not great when you actually intend to engage the electro part though! If you can get away without the electric bit you can pick some nice things without spending too much money.

Edited by bassix

[quote name='geordiemick' timestamp='1457516241' post='2999174']
I use a Laney RB1 15W amp (sometimes if the place is very small, just use a little closed back practice guitar amp). The Swift bass I have sounds ok thru amp; but its seriously bad action and intonation. So I'm after something a bit better.
[/quote]
They all have saddle bridges so I'm unsure how you'd fix intonation. You can fix action fairly easily by sanding the saddle

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Thanks for all the tips so far. I use a Laney 15W amp and the swift sounds pretty good, just the tuning is terrible .[/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I saw reviews for the [i]gear for music[/i] acoustic bass saying its good for the price; but can you believe the reviews?[/font][/color]
Reviews for Harley Bentons dont seem too good. The Sigmas seem to be £350+

What are Crafters like?

Edited by geordiemick

15w is a bit low t b h .
Maybe good for bass whisperer impressions ;)
Depends on crowd size/ acoustic etc.

I would imagine you'd be better going for something in the£200 bracket , if you're not in a hurry to upgrade .
You may get a bargain on here. Eastwood, jack Cassidy used , epiphone and another popular one that has escaped my mind at the moment.

You could do a you pube search under Hollowbody bass ?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1457527481' post='2999345']
15w is a bit low t b h .
Maybe good for bass whisperer impressions ;)
Depends on crowd size/ acoustic etc.

I would imagine you'd be better going for something in the£200 bracket , if you're not in a hurry to upgrade .
You may get a bargain on here. Eastwood, jack Cassidy used , epiphone and another popular one that has escaped my mind at the moment.

You could do a you pube search under Hollowbody bass ?
[/quote]
A pube search ?

I had a Crafter which looked the part but was actually just about useless. It's only use really was for working tunes out at virtually no volume - only a little louder than playing a solid bass unplugged. I wouldn't buy another EAB.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1457517038' post='2999188']
Look or the Sigma basses - cheaper versions of Martins (GuitarGuitar stock them)
[/quote]

They used to be, they are now a separate company (I bought my daughter a Sigma guitar which is excellent).

I'm going to tell you to to try and find one of the Old Aria AMB50's on ebay if you can , sadly not been made for a few years so ebay will be your only hope.
this type of instrument [url="https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usedphotosna/47576885_614.jpg"]https://s3-us-west-2...7576885_614.jpg[/url]

I really like mine ... its a rip off of the ovation type guitar with a solid top and a moulded back. Sadly I dropped it a few years ago and split the headstock... ( its stable but ugly now) .. The ABS back really helps with projection and the onboard pre amp is great when you want to plug in to a Venue's desk , get one of the jack to XLR cables and plug it into a HI Z channel. Just make sure you set the volumes as low as possible set on desk / board and have the preamp volume at around 50% then raise channel volume on the PA until your happy with the sound.

Or i guess theres always the REAL thing

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ovation-4-string-Electro-Accoustic-Bass-/201537006987?hash=item2eec8aad8b:g:2V4AAOSw-zxWpmzi"]http://www.ebay.co.u...V4AAOSw-zxWpmzi[/url]

Edited by synthaside

I have a Harley Benton 5 string which I bought as an "deko only" from Thomann. Cost around 50 notes with the shipping. I did have to do a little truss rod action.

It came with really clanky bright strings, which I swapped for a set of black nylon Rototsound 88's (cost almost the same as the bass).

I had to bore the bridge a bit to get the B string to fit, but it sorted the bass for me. I have done a couple of house jams with it un-amplified and it is fine. When I have tried the electrics (I don't really gig it) they seem fine. I mainly use it for playing along to the telly when something good comes on or working out riffs for new setlist songs.

Good luck finding a standard gig bag for one though - they are quite deep.