Why become a member? ×

"Classic" songs that are used for adverts

TheGreek

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1465418362' post='3068124']
she may care more about the spelling of Janis though
[/quote]

I blame the autocorrect, I certainly know how to spell Ms Joplin's name! We used to do a cracking version of 'Move Over' with Jenny Haan on vocals, really made my toes curl.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1465419119' post='3068138']
Except that most songs for ads are re-recordings with sound-alike musicians so the only ones benefiting are the song writers.

More reason than ever to concentrate on your songwriting skills.
[/quote]working on a new CD as we speak, we like to have a foot in both camps :)

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1465418762' post='3068130']
I appreciate that they're making it as short as possible but the extra half beat or beat could easily be fitted in and not extend the advert at all.
[/quote]

Advertisers are subject to fashions, too. Having a 'glitch' in a well-known tune is quite likely a 'subtle' way of attracting attention to the ad. There was a fashion, a few years ago, to have tunes which would change pitch slightly, just at the 'right' moment for heads to turn to the screen and see what was 'wrong'.
How many of these little tricks incite folks to buy the products is anyone's guess, but for the advert agencies, it's all 'fair game'. I wonder what next week's trend will be..?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1456904659' post='2993290']
Yeah, it was Snuff, who also covered the Branflakes "Tasty Tasty very very tasty" song
[/quote]
[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1456874152' post='2993215']
I'm sure I heard a thrash cover of 'Shake & Vac' in the late 80s/early 90s. I thought it was by someone like Xentrix or maybe Lawn Mower Deth,though it could have been Nuclear Assault, but I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything.
[/quote]

[url="https://youtu.be/xOlk_3kyY9g"]https://youtu.be/xOlk_3kyY9g[/url]

It's an advert!! Who cares what they do to mangle the soundtrack.

I believe that rerecording the ads with session guys happened years ago before the owners realised the financial opportunities they were sniffily passing up. I know a drummer who rerecorded a lot of Van Morrison's hits with the man himself. VM get a very poor percentage of his early hits due to signing bad contracts, so anyone who asks to use one of his songs only gets permission to use one of these versions. At least he gets paid for the use of these ones.

I haven't seen an advert in years. I record all TV programs of interest on my hard drive then FF through the adverts when I watch it back.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1457040645' post='2994816']
BASTARDS!!! Janice Joplin -"Another little piece of my heart" - perfume ad..
[/quote]

She loved to drink that stuff... she'd probably approve! :)

My old band was offered something like 10 grand about 12 years ago for a song of ours to be used in some Eastern European mobile phone ads. I said no as it was selling out- very much influenced by bill hicks. things are a bit different now- as long as company is something I don't agree with then I'd sell all my songs. And we could have had a chance playing gigs out there! The super furry animals turned down a 6 figure sum from Coca Cola for hello sunshine. Instead they went to Columbia and campaigned for Coca Cola workers rights.