Why become a member? ×

"Classic" songs that are used for adverts

TheGreek

I'm sure I heard a thrash cover of 'Shake & Vac' in the late 80s/early 90s. I thought it was by someone like Xentrix or maybe Lawn Mower Deth,though it could have been Nuclear Assault, but I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything.

People need to realize this stuff isn't sacrilege. First time I heard Imagine Dragons knowing them as a band I thought, "oh, the bank advert band".

This has been going on since before I was a kid and to be honest, you could argue the same stuff for sampling in songs. How many people thing of the bassline to "good times" by Chic as "the classic hip hop loop"?

Music is music is music is music. Complaining about it changes nothing but your own blood pressure.

Apparently Van Morrison signed away most of his early songs and gets virtually nothing if they are used in films etc. He's been re recording most of the popular ones so that when asked if his stuff can be used he makes them use the newly recorded versions. That way he gets some money out of the use of his songs.

There were some very clever copies done in the past, when bands hadn't woken up to the revenue potential of their songs. This version Levi's recorded of Heard It Through The Grapevine is a classic in its own right.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4DR_ae_4o"]https://www.youtube....h?v=wT4DR_ae_4o[/url]

edit - spelling!

Edited by chris_b

[i]the red car and the blue car had a race
all that red could do was stuff his face
he eats everything he sees
from trucks to prickly trees
but smart old blue he took the milky way

he's looking for a chocolate treat
fluffy and light
cos he knows it won't spoil his app-e-tite

mm mm MMMM!

oh no! the bridge has gone, poor old red just can't carry on
but smart old blue, he took the milky way[/i]

[i]-------[/i]
Ah the old classic... With the timeless message that fat people are losers.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1456937128' post='2993791']
No. There's one more
[/quote]

Dear old Bill had a point but if it's done with humour the results can be entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxELSzay2lc

Or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gib916jJW1o

"LUNG NEARLY GAVE!"

Edited by upside downer

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1456779577' post='2992264']
Watching TV and the adverts come on - they're using "Changes" by David Bowie for the Toyota RAV4 advert.

How do others feel about classic pieces of music that become know (mostly by the younger generation) as "[i]isn't that the song from the **** adverts?[/i]"
[/quote]

Despise all TV ads, so it doesn't matter all that much to me what form of perversion they take.

Edited by Passinwind

the way it's going TV ads will be the only way bands make money from recordings, at least the ad is worth watching with a decent backing track, which I is the idea, when the band are discussing new songs to cover, one will get the thumbs up because "Yeah Joe Public will know that one it was used in and advert".Anything that exposes the public to different music is good isn't it? I can do Blitzkrieg Bop at open mic now :)

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1465411660' post='3068055']
Yup, drives me round the bend too. Unfortunately, they do know about squeezing info into short time frames, so an 'empty' bar or beat gets lopped out for the sake of brevity. It's actually a fairly clever way to pack your ad with just the strongest hooks of the song.

Incidentally, the first place I heard All Right Now was on a chewing gum advert...
[/quote]

I appreciate that they're making it as short as possible but the extra half beat or beat could easily be fitted in and not extend the advert at all.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1456920453' post='2993498']
[i]oh no! the bridge has gone, poor old red just can't carry on
but smart old blue, he took the milky way[/i]

[i]-------[/i]
Ah the old classic... With the timeless message that fat people are losers.
[/quote]

So red couldn't take it to the bridge after all. There's a lesson in that for all of us, I think you will agree.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1465413744' post='3068073']
the way it's going TV ads will be the only way bands make money from recordings, at least the ad is worth watching with a decent backing track, which I is the idea, when the band are discussing new songs to cover, one will get the thumbs up because "Yeah Joe Public will know that one it was used in and advert".Anything that exposes the public to different music is good isn't it? I can do Blitzkrieg Bop at open mic now :)
[/quote]

Except that most songs for ads are re-recordings with sound-alike musicians so the only ones benefiting are the song writers.

More reason than ever to concentrate on your songwriting skills.