Why become a member? ×

Whats your showoff piece

charic

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='288646' date='Sep 21 2008, 06:15 PM']Despite a current roster of about 50 songs that I gig regularly, I always forget every bassline I know when anyone says "play something".[/quote]

Ha ha yea I know what you mean

I've started doing "The Princess Royal" which is a diddly / Morris dance tune ... That's not usually on the "don't play these tunes" list in music shops :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='288646' date='Sep 21 2008, 06:15 PM']Despite a current roster of about 50 songs that I gig regularly, I always forget every bassline I know when anyone says "play something".[/quote]
Me too.

Can never remember anything that might sound remotely interesting to a non musician/bassist.

Always end up playing something really simple.

I'm partial to Rush instrumentals, except when there are fiddly fills involved. Which basically rules out YYZ, then, but I find their more recent instrumentals more tasteful, anyway. Previous faves are [i]Where's My Thing?[/i] and [i]Leave That Thing Alone![/i], but these days I'm very into [i]The Main Monkey Business[/i].

[quote name='noelk27' post='288671' date='Sep 21 2008, 06:37 PM']Fretless, Bach's cello suite No 3 in C Major - I used to be a cellist - or The Police, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.

Fretted, a mash-up of Queen, Another One Bites The Dust and Chic, Le Freak / Good Times.[/quote]

I usually find myselt noodling thru a Bach piece in G, one of the preludes I think :) I like it cos it means I can use my low C legitimately :huh:

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='288684' date='Sep 21 2008, 06:57 PM']Chameleon by Herbie

:)[/quote]

Strangely enough, I was learning that this morning and decided it was going to be my new showoff piece. Of course, if anyone asks me to play it I'll immediately forget how it goes