Why become a member? ×

which pre-amp?

ebenezer

Well, i have just got a bass collection jz, a very nice mid 90s jazz clone, at the moment, the bass is sporting
bartolini jazz pickups and wired passive (bass was active when new)
I have bought some nordstrand NJ4 SV pickups....split coil hum cancelling.

I am not bothered about sweepable mids, just bass and treble will do!

looking at the sadowsky pre, but expensive......any ideas?

If you are up for some DIY the pre EB Music Man Pte amp is hard to beat and the batteries go on forever,

A lot of the two bands sold by the pick up manufacturers are based on or are direct copies of that Music Man design.

David at Retrovibe sells them for £40 at http://www.retrovibe.co.uk/stinger.html fully assembled.

The only problem is that the stingray pre was designed for a single pup so you can either connect it after your current passive wiring or fit an M law blend pot, then feed the preamp.

Edited by Chienmortbb

The Aguilar obp-1 (just like the Sadowsky preamp a design by Alex Aguilar) is supposed to sound a bit warmer than the Sadowsky which is considered a bit more hi-fi-ish. Both the Sadowsky and the Aguilar are boost-only (bass @ 40Hz, treble @ 4000Hz). I still have my Aguilar DB924, great preamp (in essence an obp-1 in a box). Look into the John East preamps too! Very good sounding stuff, I have a DJ-Retro in my Lakland. That mid-sweep is sweet!

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1455647862' post='2981137']
The Aguilar obp-1 (just like the Sadowsky preamp a design by Alex Aguilar) is supposed to sound a bit warmer than the Sadowsky which is considered a bit more hi-fi-ish. Both the Sadowsky and the Aguilar are boost-only (bass @ 40Hz, treble @ 4000Hz). I still have my Aguilar DB924, great preamp (in essence an obp-1 in a box). Look into the John East preamps too! Very good sounding stuff, I have a DJ-Retro in my Lakland. That mid-sweep is sweet!
[/quote]

I use the Aguilar DB924 with my Jazz Basses too, and love it! Discontinued now, and the Tone Hammer just doesn't sound as good...They pop up on Ebay and Gumtree now and then, and can be had for a bargain!

Just to note, I compared the DB924 with the on-board OBP1 that was on my old Spector, and I didn't notice any signal or power degradation by using a cable, or for the fact that it's an external unit.