Why become a member? ×

Soundcloud demise?

xgsjx

Most of us use soundcloud, but I just heard that it might be in financial trouble.

http://www.factmag.com/2016/02/11/soundcloud-financial-report-44m-losses/

Let's hope they can sort something out or we'll possibly be going back to MySpace.

I love soundcloud. People do look through it. I was approached by the national sound archive to supply them with some music. That was through soundcloud.

It's extremely useful to just send a link to it for someone wanting to hear what you do.

I found Reverbnation to be a total waste of time and absolute pain.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1455263880' post='2977521']
I'm using it more and more these days - I really hope it doesn't go 😕

I will subscribe if the cost is reasonable
[/quote]

I think I pay £4 a month for s pro plan. That just gives me more space on there.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1455282824' post='2977758']

I got a lot of spam, very little of actual use.
[/quote]

Spam from Soundcloud ?

I joined up to Reverbnation, they were constantly emailing me, despite me un-subscribing from their emails on a daily basis.

I've never had anything from Soundcloud, in the 2 years that I've used them.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1455265614' post='2977540']
18 million users most of whom will be using for free. Average salary of the employees of € 79,000. Hmm, wonder what has gone wrong?
[/quote]

They have other, bigger problems.

With a loss of €39.14m on turnover of €15.37m, they're still €21.2m in the red even if you strip out the wages costs of €17.9m entirely.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455264059' post='2977522']
I thought everyone just used it to host stuff for linking to from elsewhere online... kinda like photobucket.

Didn't really think there was much else to it.
[/quote]

That's their problem, everyone has been using it this way and not caring or looking to see what else they offer - and since they allow embedding clips into forum posts and such, they probably miss out on a lot of advertising revenue from people not even visiting the site.

Easy to use Dropbox or Box etc for hosting clips anyway, but if they do go down there will be a lot of forum threads hosting clips with missing content!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1455277973' post='2977687']
I love soundcloud. People do look through it. I was approached by the national sound archive to supply them with some music. That was through soundcloud... I found Reverbnation to be a total waste of time and absolute pain.[/quote]
[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1455283233' post='2977765']
I've never had anything from Soundcloud, in the 2 years that I've used them.[/quote]

^ Ditto, that's also been my experience of SoundCloud.

I love it. Zero advertising, zero spam and a [i]really[/i] good platform for collaborating with others. What other system allows you add detailed, time-specific comments to other people's tracks?

Nearly all of my collaborative and (limited) commercial work has happened through SoundCloud. I have something like 20,000 individual listens to date.

But... if you're a band wanting space for biographies, gig listings, video clips, moody photos of middle-aged guys in sunglasses stood against brick walls, then it's not for you. I'd say Bandcamp probably does that better than anyone - but that's the only other platform I'm familiar with.

It'll be a real shame if SoundCloud disappears. But it'll leave a gap in the market that something else will fill very quickly, I'm sure.

I'm now wondering whether to update my subscription or wait for a definite outcome. Trouble is, if everyone does the same it won't help matters! Damn :unsure:

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1455287201' post='2977836']
^ Ditto, that's also been my experience of SoundCloud.

But... if you're a band wanting space for biographies, gig listings, video clips, moody photos of middle-aged guys in sunglasses stood against brick walls, then it's not for you. I'd say Bandcamp probably does that better than anyone - but that's the only other platform I'm familiar with.

[/quote]

Love it !

:)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455264059' post='2977522']
I thought everyone just used it to host stuff for linking to from elsewhere online... kinda like photobucket.

Didn't really think there was much else to it.
[/quote]
that's pretty much what i use it for, it doesn't work as a one page for all band purposes sort of thing for me, so i host on there then link to facebook etc

Used in the way that it was originally intended as a showcase for new works it's a great idea.

We've used it in the past to host private links to review copies of our releases, which certainly saves on bandwidth from our own site.

However they didn't adequately police what people were unloading, and suddenly found themselves hit for royalty demands for hosting and streaming copyright works. I believe that they have recently come to some agreement with the PRS which may well be the root of the current financial troubles. From what I've read they have no-one but themselves to blame.

It fits my 'needs' very well; so much so that I recently took up a subscription, and now have the benefits over and above the 'free' version, and can therefore replace a file without having to lose the informations already garnered. I'm far from professional; it's purely for hobby, but, for me, well worth the very modest fee. I hope it can survive and thrive.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1455283233' post='2977765']
Spam from Soundcloud ?
[/quote]
Not email spam, message inbox spam.

Well, I call it inbox spam, "please come on my compilation it'll only cost you £50", "hey, I can get your music on spotify and itunes, blee".

I'm already working with a label, I don't need your rip off sh*te thankyou very much.

But I did love it, apart from the temptation to throw half finished crap up there.

Edited by keefbaker

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1455290331' post='2977882']...
Well, I call it inbox spam, "please come on my compilation it'll only cost you £50", "hey, I can get your music on spotify and itunes, blee"...
[/quote]

I've never had the slightest 'invitation' nor incitation coming from my Soundcloud presence. My stuff doesn't seem to attract solicitation of any sort; must be a reflection of its musical appeal, I suppose. :blush: Should I be pleased and proud or not..? :unsure:

It's odd that people seem to not like it.

You get some serious people using it to regularly upload new stuff. I follow Richard Barbieri, Olafur Arnalds, Steve Lawson, Eric Whitacre, William Basinski, Harold Budd, Richard Chartier.

So it's definitely a valid platform for music.

I think it's great , music production is very new to me , and soundcloud suits it .
It does surprise me that while originally I had a certain amount of 'time' to use , it does seem to have increased the allowance without asking for the subscription that it suggested was necessary

Yodaclub used to use it a lot but, as I understand it, Soundcloud stopped people from sharing something with a private group sometime back so it was a case of public or nothing...we didn't want to put all of our rehearsal ideas in public so we moved to dropbox instead.....I haven't used it since