Why become a member? ×

RIP Sir Terry Wogan

rubis

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1454236457' post='2967657'].......... I feel like I've lost a favorite uncle. Funny, silly, kind and sincere; loved him. So sad he has gone.
[/quote]

That is a great way of putting it , I think the world is a better place for him being here .

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1454241202' post='2967726']
Who doesn't like him?
You'd have to be a sad, bitter **** of a person to not like him.
[/quote]

I didn't.
He demanded payment for Children In Need when all others gave their time for free. He shamelessly plugged artists and bands he had an interest in on his radio show.
Sorry for any offence taken.

[quote name='Bikenbass' timestamp='1454247653' post='2967801']

I didn't.
He demanded payment for Children In Need when all others gave their time for free. He shamelessly plugged artists and bands he had an interest in on his radio show.
[/quote]

A bit out of order I would say.
How many bands would not have made it if John Peel had not "shamelessly plugged artists and bands he had an interest in" ?

I didn't.
[/quote]I guess that his fee would have been worth it as he was one of the few presenters that was high profile and seemingly universally liked, and could get you to part with your money. You could also say that the people who did it for free were shamelessly plugging themselves on such a high profile show, which I would imagine the free publicity would outweigh the potential future earnings. I wouldn`t hold that against them though.

I didn't.
[/quote]
[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1454264582' post='2968032']
I guess that his fee would have been worth it as he was one of the few presenters that was high profile and seemingly universally liked, and could get you to part with your money. You could also say that the people who did it for free were shamelessly plugging themselves on such a high profile show, which I would imagine the free publicity would outweigh the potential future earnings. I wouldn`t hold that against them though.
[/quote]
Also, it was the BBC's discretion to give him a fee. He didn't ask, the put it in his salary as an honorarium payment. They give it him for the first one and never stopped. they said they weren't ashamed of it, saw no reason to hide it and wouldn't stop. It came out of the Beebs money not Children in Needs. He didn't demand it. Plus if those two things are the only things that make him an horrible person then most people are Hitler!