Why become a member? ×

Whatever happened to the cronos bass?

It was a standard active Fender Jazz apart from the upper octave being fretless. It also had a 12th inlay LED and a laser LED on the headstock IIRC.
Pretty sure it was a custom job for Cronos, not released for the public.

There was a company doing a similar thing that advertised heavily in Bass Player a few years later but the name escapes me.

[i]"When Charvel first started, I went out there and saw a bunch of nice alder bodies, and I hung them on wires and tapped them until I found the one that really resonated. So I took that body to John and we made a bass out of it. It's kind of my Frankenstein.[/i]

[i]"I've got first-generation EMG pickups on it. Also, I have two sets of Precision pickups, and I have them where Jazz pickups would've normally gone. But I reversed their position, which totally evens things out. In redoing the neck, we had to strip the frets off, and we ended up replacing them with mandolin wire, which is very small fret wire. We didn't know if it would work, but it turned out great. So that's been my main bass since about 1983."[/i]

I've often wondered how Lee Sklar's Frankenstein Bass apporach would work... replacing the standard fret wide with the thinnest gauge mandolin wire you could find...

I seem to recall Wilkes doing a half fretted/half fretless back in the 80's, where the E & A strings were fretted & the D & G were fretless?
I imagine the 'Cronos' idea being a bit 'clankey' to play if your playing style isn't clean, besides the intonation issues, probably why I don't like soloing much on fretless basses..

Edited by Bassman68

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1454095500' post='2966476']
Isn't there a 6-string with four fretted strings and the D and G strings repeated as fretless? So it's E A D G D G with the bottom four fretted.
[/quote]

Yes, that's the Ashula. I should have explained its layout earlier.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1454074923' post='2966154']
Are we talking about Cronos from Venom?

[attachment=210933:download.jpg]
[/quote]

I wouldn't want to play one of his basses in case he hadn't been wearing underpants. Puts a whole new twist on buckle rash.

I had that Jazz Deluxe customised for Cronos when I was working for the Arbiter Group, Fender's distributor. The defret was done in our workshop and SimS LED fitted a pair of red eyes at the 12th position, and a rifle sight laser in the headstock.
The headstock was finished in black with a Cronos logo.
I was and am a big Venom fan and it was great to work with Cronos. We did a photo shoot at the London Dungeon....
Great days!

Edited by 66Dave

• 7 months later...

I recall seeing this bass in 'Bassist' magazine when he had it done I guess. For some reason it stuck in my head and my memory was telling me they were available to the public and over the years I've had the odd (obviously)fruitless search. After reading 66Dave's post I can see why now ( duh :-/ )
He uses the fretless part for nothing more than slides down the neck. They were a 'kin crazy outfit, non musicians with real anarchy appeal. It's a shame Fender never released that Jazz bass, it would be quite a bit of fun.

Check this out mwah ha ha ha ha

https://youtu.be/4bmBF17jBEs