Why become a member? ×

NAMM 2016

NancyJohnson

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1453548178' post='2960410']
Are you there?
[/quote]

Yep. Didn't you get my message about coming with me? In reality, no, I'm sitting in my little study room at home in leafy Berkshire, catching up on NAMM via various feeds.

To concur, the Tech21 stuff looks good, but then it always does. I spoke to Dug's tech and a guy from Tech21 in New York last May and saw the Dug head up close. It was a pant-wettingly beautiful thing:

OK, Question time. What is this bass:

That's right! It's a Fender Postmodern Journeyman Relic [i]Jazz [/i]bass. Yep, a Jazz bass. More reasons why the Fender team are probably on crack and trying to sell stuff that it isn't what it purports to be.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1453551156' post='2960448']

Yep. Didn't you get my message about coming with me? In reality, no, I'm sitting in my little study room at home in leafy Berkshire, catching up on NAMM via various feeds.

To concur, the Tech21 stuff looks good, but then it always does. I spoke to Dug's tech and a guy from Tech21 in New York last May and saw the Dug head up close. It was a pant-wettingly beautiful thing:

That's right! It's a Fender Postmodern Journeyman Relic [i]Jazz [/i]bass. Yep, a Jazz bass. More reasons why the Fender team are probably on crack and trying to sell stuff that it isn't what it purports to be.

P
[/quote]

In Fender's defence, they have never named or referred to this bass as a 'jazz bass'... They have fitted a 'jazz' neck (with the 'jazz' profile, nut width and decal etc) but the model is simply referred to as a 'journeyman relic'. I'm assuming they left the 'jazz' decal on the neck to make it obvious that the neck has 'jazz' bass specs and that it's not just a precision bass spec'd custom shop model in a different finish.

This is the listing for it. Not a mention of it being 'a jazz bass'...
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/xn0753.php?CategoryID=229&n=4#

Edited by skej21

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1453570782' post='2960690']
Love Dug Pinnick! ( and all of Kings X!)
[/quote]

Saw him at The Cutting Room in New York last May. Turned up mid-afternoon to pick up tickets (as we'd done them online from the UK) and they were loading in. (Corey Glover was the headliner.) Had a very long chat with dUg's tech guy and a guy from Tech21. I was expressing my love for Tech21 stuff and the dUg head came into the venue at which point I nearly jizzed. The guy from T21 was saying how expensive it was to configure heads for Europe and they just needed a minimum order before they'd even try and do it. Much as I'd love one, I believe I could probably emulate the tone for a lot less than £2,000! Shame!

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1453574931' post='2960741']

Saw him at The Cutting Room in New York last May. Turned up mid-afternoon to pick up tickets (as we'd done them online from the UK) and they were loading in. (Corey Glover was the headliner.) Had a very long chat with dUg's tech guy and a guy from Tech21. I was expressing my love for Tech21 stuff and the dUg head came into the venue at which point I nearly jizzed. The guy from T21 was saying how expensive it was to configure heads for Europe and they just needed a minimum order before they'd even try and do it. Much as I'd love one, I believe I could probably emulate the tone for a lot less than £2,000! Shame!
[/quote]
Cool story!!! To be honest, as much as I love Dougs tone in Kings X I'm not sure it'd work for me, it's kind of his signature and although I muck about with a bddi which gets close, I don't use that sound in a band environment. Maybe if I were still a bit younger and in my originals band I'd sneak in a bit more of that vibe!!

Pedals seem to be the thing. GK has a preamp pedal out, the EBS Sheehan deluxe sig and the Tech21 Fly Rig.

Google Fender Tele Offset (I can't bring myself to post a picture of it ). It perfectly sums up Fender at the moment. They really need a new senior management team.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1453551156' post='2960448']

P
[/quote]

Being custom shop it'll cost a fortune for the look of a modded bass ( someone stuck a jazz neck on a p bass, wow!).

They really have to sort out their product lines regards instruments. Amps don't seem too bad, but guitars and basses are a mess and they'll really suffer if something isn't done.

Its listed on the Fender webiste at £2700.Which actually seems to be at the cheaper end of the scale for the current custom shop models. Compred to the Pino or the Dusty Hill its an absolute snip.

There is an actual jazz shaped Journeyman Jazz as well. Aparently 'journeyman' refers to a light reliced finish.

I don't think there is much that fender can do really, they produce anything other than a pretty bog standard P or J in a range of colours and noone is interested. There are only so many reissues of reissues you can do.

Having said that, I am still waiting for my flipflop purple / green J Bass!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1453634981' post='2961178']
I don't think there is much that fender can do really, they produce anything other than a pretty bog standard P or J in a range of colours and noone is interested. There are only so many reissues of reissues you can do.

Having said that, I am still waiting for my flipflop purple / green J Bass!
[/quote]
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1453574931' post='2960741']

[/quote]

For that money Tech21 can shove it. The clean tone on it is ropey. Had it been a preamp with midi savable pot settings I'd be in there, but it doesn't and to me it's vastly overpriced.

Really loving the relic'd Ibanez hollowbodies & SR Singlecut.

The Orange O bass was the single biggest 'wtf' moment for me.....like.....really? You waited for winter NAMM to announce this thing?! Blurgh

The TC Ditto X4 looks very impressive too!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1453655728' post='2961463']

The Orange O bass was the single biggest 'wtf' moment for me.....like.....really? You waited for winter NAMM to announce this thing?! Blurgh

Si
[/quote]

Not having heard of this, inquiring minds needed to know.

[IMG]http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/vinnybassist/fry_zpsumzt8blz.jpg[/IMG]