Why become a member? ×

Robert Trujillo

yorick

[quote name='yorick' post='285531' date='Sep 17 2008, 07:37 AM']Saw Metallica on Jools Holland last night. Did anyone notice that he was using a Tobias 5-string? Or were my eyes deceiving me? :huh:[/quote]

Wasn't taking 'that' much notice as I was struggling to hear that much definition in his tone... probably my AV system not coping well with the Metallica sound :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='285538' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:00 AM']Here he is at O2 with Tobias [url="http://www.gigwise.com/article?id=46088&image=24#gallery"]http://www.gigwise.com/article?id=46088&image=24#gallery[/url][/quote]

I thought the bass mix was very poor, surprisingly the drums were coming through loud and clear! :)

[quote name='yorick' post='285562' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:54 AM']So, how long has he been using a Tobias?[/quote]
Dunno but, as I mentioned in write-up of O2 gig thread, he used a mix of Fernandes 4/5-ers, the Tobias and a Warwick Streamer (LX I think) 4-string on Monday

[quote name='yorick' post='285562' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:54 AM']So, how long has he been using a Tobias?[/quote]

He has been using Tobias for years as far as i am aware. He used them back when he was playing with suicidal tendancies. I remember seing him in an old bass player mag around 1999 and he was using tobias then. Also in an early bass guitar magazine interview he was also pictured with a tobias.

useless info there but hey ho!

on the Ozzy Osbourne Budokan live DVD he used a couple of Tobias 5's -inc. the red one with soapbar routs but with J pickups in them.

I think his tone (not really to my liking) comes from having a very low action so he can play lightly and fast, which doesn't give much definition to each note. (although that approach seems to work for Steve Harris- maybe a P pickup (and heavy strings) works better in this context)

[quote name='yorick' post='285531' date='Sep 17 2008, 07:37 AM']Saw Metallica on Jools Holland last night. Did anyone notice that he was using a Tobias 5-string? Or were my eyes deceiving me? :huh:[/quote]
His nirvana black oiled finish Warwick Streamer (LX?) 4 at the O2 looked really, really nice.

I'm not normally a fan of Warwicks but I may have an attack of GAS coming ... oh no :)

Yeah he's been playing Tobys for years, most of which have been modded with EMGs and diferent bridges - he has threatened to retire the though!)). He's also played Fernandes for years. Apparently a few of the guys from Tobias went on to work in the Fernandes custom shop and he had them build him a few basses. He's also used imported MTD stuff (during his Ozzy days - used to be called Grendels but can't remember the new model name), Fenders with Black Label Society, had a signature Zon 5 and played Musicman 5 strings when he moved to Metallica. His most recent addition is his custom shop Warwick 5. It's based on a Stage 1 streamer but has a Gotoh roler bridge and jazz pickups in non-Warwick positions. There's probably many more. It's quite refreshing to see a guy of Robs stature playing whatever he feels like... pity he's not getting to really show off his chops with 'tallica, although anybody who can play 'Battery' with fingers as well as he does deserves mucho respect!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Clarky' post='285642' date='Sep 17 2008, 12:31 PM']His nirvana black oiled finish Warwick Streamer (LX?) 4 at the O2 looked really, really nice.

I'm not normally a fan of Warwicks but I may have an attack of GAS coming ... oh no :)[/quote]

Dunno, where were you lookin' at during the gig, mate, but this Warwie ain't no 4er :huh:

[url="http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=warvie2kg7.png"][/url]

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='285751' date='Sep 17 2008, 12:21 PM']Dunno, where were you lookin' at during the gig, mate, but this Warwie ain't no 4er :huh:

[url="http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=warvie2kg7.png"][/url][/quote]
I was stood 10-15 feet from him when he played it - I suppose I could have been mistaken :)

Plus that photo is dated June 7, not October 15, maybe he has got a 4-stringer to match since then (he said trying to dig himself out of hole)

Anyway, counting is not all its cracked up to be

Either way, attractive bass

Edited by Clarky

Considering he's got a signature Zon, you never see him use it. 95% of the time you see him with the blue flamed Fernandes. He's also apparently been seen recently with a Yamaha TRB. Maybe he's shopping for a new endorsement deal?