Why become a member? ×

Fake Festivals

JellyKnees

is it any worse than Fender or Rickenbacker copies or whatever, you're getting an inferior product cheaper than the real thing, you pays your money you take your choice, and occasionally you'll get a bargain, nearly as good as the real thing for less money

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1452866718' post='2954241']
They could also - and I appreciate this is a radical concept - arrange their own festival, only featuring bands that play original material.
[/quote]chances are that not as many people would turn up though, festivals are organised to make money, we're slaves to the paying public

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1452865851' post='2954226']
So how does it feel to be a -- what was it -- "middle aged unimaginative muso"? (Does this description apply to all of us who play covers, by the way?)
[/quote]

Covers can be good and entertaining, depending on the band and their approach. Tribute bands are basically panto...

Cue cries of 'Oh no they're not etc...'

Edited by JellyKnees

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1452866606' post='2954237']
[color=#000000]Hey I've just come up with a brilliant idea for people who don't like the idea of 'fake festivals' or tribute bands in general. It's a fairly extreme idea and might appear to be pretty left-field, but I'll try it anyway and you can see what you think.[/color]

[color=#000000]OK, here goes.[/color]

[color=#000000][size=5]If you don't like the idea of a 'fake festival' or a tribute band gig...[/size][/color]

[color=#000000](and here comes the clever bit)[/color]
[color=#000000] [/color]
[color=#000000][i][size=5]...don't go to one.[/size][/i][/color]

[color=#000000]Pretty radical stuff I know, but I reckon it could work.[/color]
[/quote]

Wow, you're right, that was clever, not to mention highly original... have a bun.

They've started having an annual fake festival near us, people seem to love it. Day out in the sun, drinking beer and listening to music, why not! My good friend was the 'Angus' in a very popular AC/DC tribute band, he did very well out of it. Played to some huge crowds all over Europe and got paid handsomely for it too. Also, given the amount of AC/DC tribute bands around, he's never short of offers for very well paid deps now.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1452872127' post='2954325']
So what totally original band are you in then, and where can we come and see you play?
[/quote]

I'm not at the moment, but I'm busy writing tunes all the time and I'm hoping to get something together this year. Does this help?

I went to one last year in Bolton called 'Boltfest'. Not a lot happens in Bolton so it was well attended. The facilities were good with plenty of portaloos which were cleaned regularly, beer stands, sweets & cakes (for the kids and wives) and a playground (for the kids and wives). The main stage were tribute bands but they also had a large marquee where local original (and covers) bands were playing. You had to get tickets from T*cketmaster which were free - you just pay the booking fee which I think was around £2.50 or so. The whole event site was policed by errrr.... the Police and private security. Overall, I was extremely impressed with the organisation of the whole event. The PA was good. Lovely afternoon spent in the sun, drank beer and listened to some great music performed by some excellent musicians. By 7:00pm I was pissed and struggling with the tribute bands dressing up to look like their heroes (which I can personally do without) so I went home. Will I go again this year - possibly if a few mates are going but if their not, then I won't. I prefer covers bands who put their own take on things, not tribute bands who are good impersonators (the Mike Yarwoods of the music world). But that's just me, I know a lot of people who really enjoy them so who am I to judge.

I never knew things like "Fake Festivals" existed, wouldn't be my cup of tea but I don't see how it's any worse than covers band nights & there are plenty of people on here that are happy with those. Although, do tribute acts always perform in fancy dress? Could be a bit awkward with clashing fashion decades.

Pulp could moon the MJ tribute, Blur & Oasis could restart the brit-pop battles - lot's of fun.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452870879' post='2954312']
What?... you only think you don't like them because you weren't there when buns first hit the scene, you couldn't possibly understand... :mellow:
[/quote]

...well of course up to then, we'd only had bread rolls - often as not stale. You got the odd shop here and there that would try to fancy them up with a bit of dried fruit, but when the buns came in, well it just blew our minds. You cannot imagine the impact that had on a youth starved of innovative baked goods. I remember it was someone's older brother who first got some sent down from up north. We'd all go over to his place and just breathe in the smell. It was intoxicating. Then, of course you got the bun-bars opening up. All the hip kids used to hang out there. My mum was terrified of me going and getting mixed up with the wrong crowd - I mean there was a certain level of violence associated with that scene - the famous "bun fights" and what have you, but to be honest the papers blew it up out of all proportion. We'll not see the like of that again, though. I mean, I hear kids today going on about how buns are "boring" and old-hat, and how they'd rather have a full-butter croissant or a danish pastry, but they just don't realize that without the buns, well, none of that stuff would ever have existed. It's just ignorance really, and lack of respect. You can't tell them, though..they just don't get it.

Well, one of the biggest musical events of all time will be taking place in a couple of months. It involves the greatest musicians in the world at the moment, and is being put together my Paul Mcartney, Mick Jagger, Elton John and one or two others along the way. It will rival anything else that has been staged in music history, and will generate millions in revenue on the day of, and in the aftermath of the event. It will be a 'tribute' to one of, if not the greatest musical genius of the last 50 years. All those fortunate enough to be a part of this event will not play any of there own material, yet this ' tribute ' event could rival some of the biggest televised events of all time. To get a ticket for this show, will be little short of a miracle, and you will undoubtedly be in the company of a cast of superstars, just grateful to be audience members....

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1452875173' post='2954362']
Well, one of the biggest musical events of all time will be taking place in a couple of months. It involves the greatest musicians in the world at the moment, and is being put together my Paul Mcartney, Mick Jagger, Elton John and one or two others along the way. It will rival anything else that has been staged in music history, and will generate millions in revenue on the day of, and in the aftermath of the event. It will be a 'tribute' to one of, if not the greatest musical genius of the last 50 years. All those fortunate enough to be a part of this event will not play any of there own material, yet this ' tribute ' event could rival some of the biggest televised events of all time. To get a ticket for this show, will be little short of a miracle, and you will undoubtedly be in the company of a cast of superstars, just grateful to be audience members....
[/quote]

I don't have a problem with tribute bands in general (though I'd never go to see one myself), but I have to say, that does sound utterly ghastly. :lol:

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1452875173' post='2954362']
[/quote]

How fabulous...

I have never sought out a tribute band, but somehow seem to have seen a few. I seen an awful EC tribute, a brilliant Pink Floyd one, an average Spice Girls one, a very good Stones one and a few others along the way. I would never set out to be in one, but I suppose if I got offered the gig in an established one I'd probably take it.

I can't imagine ever wanting to go to a festival of tribute bands, but it's whatever floats your boat.

My kind of festival is free, in the local park and full of local signed and unsigned bands playing their own stuff. While many are likely to be terrible, that to me is what art is about. It's not about set recipe's for success, it's about throwing your ideas into a pot and seeing what comes out at the other end. Some will like it, some will hate it and some will be indifferent.