Why become a member? ×

GAS Free 1 Year On

luckman67

On this very day last year I started a thread entitled New Bass & Amp Day, were I had just bought a brand new American Standard Precision bass, & a Fender Rumble 200 watt Combo and had them delivered to were I worked it was a great day. I said that I was going to be GAS free and save my money for other things in life. Well 1 year on and I have managed to keep my promise and surprised myself into the process (didn't think that would happen).
Anyway 1 year on and I am still more than happy with both of my purchases and the only upgrades I did was, add a set of flatwounds (which have been on almost a year) and a set of Fender straplocks. And. I am still content with my 1 bass 1 amp stance that I took. back last year.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1452793656' post='2953591']
This is a very tragic story of what can happen or indeed could happen to any of us.

Nevertheless I guess congratulations are in order.
[/quote]

Thank you I have owned multiple basses at various times, and I'm happy with just the Precision now.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1452807337' post='2953773']
Congratulations, a great achievement, but a word to the wise...do not expect much support or praise as this site is occupied by rampant GAS addicts!
[/quote]

I know but after 27 years of various degrees of GAS, I wanted a break now it's nicer just to look at other peoples bass collections,

Well done! I sometimes get caught up in an urgent need to buy stuff, and when it subsides, i realise i could probably survive with half the amount of stuff I've got.

Still, its fun buying and trying out new things.

But fair play to you. I bet its quite liberating doing the opposite and scaling down to just the essentials.

[quote name='cana.dan' timestamp='1452857256' post='2954099']
I think if I were to get my grubby hands on a Precision that would be the end of my GAS as I'd have all my basses covered. A Jazz, a Ric, a Musicman and a P.
[/quote]

but then you'd need 1 of each strung with flats and rounds and 1 of each without any frets....

Before I joined basschat I had lived for decades (yes decades-plural) with just 1 bass and 1 hard case......and for much of that time no amp (rehearsals used house gear/gigs hired backline)

but basschat has induced me to spend hundreds if not thousands of pounds.....I now have 4 and a half basses, 2 guitars, 2 amp heads, 2 cabinets, several pedals, 2 pedal boards, 4 hard cases, 2 gig bags.....and I've still got GAS.

basschat can damage your bank balance.

I should be on the same page as the OP, my main gigging gear has been with me for several years and i haven't found anything that would change my mind... but i keep searching because buying, trying and selling gear is fun though expensive some times. I've found my gear and my sound but the GAS hasn't gone away yet...

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1452856811' post='2954092']
This man is single handedly trying to destroy the musical instrument industry by suggesting people can be happy with what they have and not buy any more.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE LIES.

BUY MORE BASSES.
[/quote]
I know it sounds that but after all these years of chasing and owning over 30 basses, since 1987 I want to save my money now :lol:

[quote name='cana.dan' timestamp='1452857256' post='2954099']
I think if I were to get my grubby hands on a Precision that would be the end of my GAS as I'd have all my basses covered. A Jazz, a Ric, a Musicman and a P.
[/quote]
I had 3 out of those 4 at 1 time. Ric 4003, US Musicman S.U.B & a Squier Precision :D

Edited by luckman67

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452872867' post='2954337']
Before I joined basschat I had lived for decades (yes decades-plural) with just 1 bass and 1 hard case......and for much of that time no amp (rehearsals used house gear/gigs hired backline)

but basschat has induced me to spend hundreds if not thousands of pounds.....I now have 4 and a half basses, 2 guitars, 2 amp heads, 2 cabinets, several pedals, 2 pedal boards, 4 hard cases, 2 gig bags.....and I've still got GAS.

[/quote]

This^^^

It's all you guys' fault. I had simple tastes before I discovered you lot!

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452872867' post='2954337']

[/quote]

Pretty much the same for me too. I must have spent thousands on here - selling too mind - but it`s been great fun, and much better for my health than drinking it all which is what I used to do. Re the OP, congrats, great to get something you`re 100% happy with. I`m pretty much there, looking at different speakers at present, but that`s more for portability and vanity than sound wise, perfectly happy with the sound, just think I can make life a bit easier for myself.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1452904498' post='2954728']
I must have spent thousands on here - selling too mind - but it`s been great fun, and much better for my health than drinking it all which is what I used to do. I'm pretty much there, looking at different speakers at present, but that`s more for portability and vanity than sound wise, perfectly happy with the sound, just think I can make life a bit easier for myself.
[/quote]

Same here... the joke is that after five years of chopping and changing basses my go-to bass is the one I'd had for decades before I joined Basschat. :rolleyes: But it's been an interesting journey and I've learnt more about basses, bass gear and bass playing in those five years than I did in the previous thirty-five. So it was worth spending all that money, wasn't it. :)

Wasn't it? :blink:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452906027' post='2954731']
I've learnt more about basses, bass gear and bass playing in those five years than I did in the previous thirty-five. So it was worth spending all that money, wasn't it. :)

Wasn't it? :blink:
[/quote]

I'm trying to convince myself of exactly that too

It was nice owning 5 basses at any one time (selling one's to buy others), but quite a few times I sold at a loss :unsure: . And with a family to support & a job that for a while now looks shaky, was one of the main factors for going with 1 bass & 1 amp :) . But I am 50 next year (feels weird writing that) so you never know, maybe my wife and kids will buy me a bass :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I have no recent pictures but will take one tomorrow I promise. Here is a picture I took back in August :) .
[URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/luckman67/media/unnamed_zpseihg5ecq.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t406/luckman67/unnamed_zpseihg5ecq.jpg[/IMG][/URL]