Why become a member? ×

Any "low" wattage giggers

Twincam

Was just thinking how amps are getting higher powered. And there were days when 100 or so watts or even smaller was used for gigging. With I imagine varying degrees of success however they must of worked?

But of course power is relatively cheap these days and it's always better to have head room etc etc.
I'm just curious if anyone is using lower wattage for gigs?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1452468346' post='2950295']
Was just thinking how amps are getting higher powered. And there were days when 100 or so watts or even smaller was used for gigging. With I imagine varying degrees of success however they must of worked?
[/quote]

A 100-watt all-valve bass amp is bloody loud. Easily enough to gig with and at least as loud as a 500W SS amp, in my opinion. A 300W Ampeg SVT sounds great, but it's generally overkill unless you're doing big rooms without a PA. But why would you? And a 30W Vox AC30 for guitar will easily fill a big venue.

Guest bassman7755

I suspect a lot of people, especially those using multiple high grade cabs, are only actually using 100-150 watts of power in reality a lot of the time despite having much higher rated amps, I cant imagine for example it takes more than this to drive my 2 compacts to gigging volume.

Edited by bassman7755

The amp faintly visible behind a younger 'me' is a Fender Bassman 50w. The gig was outdoors, in front of a local café-bar. Our repertoire is/was pop-rock covers, including RHCP, the Floyd, Noir Désir, Soundgarden, ACDC and many more... Plenty loud enough. We now use a Hiwatt 200w, which never gets past half-up. We didn't, and still don't, go for, nor need, ear-splitting volumes to do convincing, authentic rock.

It's best to think in terms of acoustic watts, not electrical watts. To put things simply, the more cone area and enclosure volume you have, the more efficiently your system turns electrical energy into sound energy. This is a 5W bass rig:

https://www.facebook.com/electromusic.doncaster/photos/a.500640740065205.1073741827.500050530124226/773583696104240/?type=3

But it'll generate about 110dB of sound!

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1452509946' post='2950513']
It's best to think in terms of acoustic watts, not electrical watts. To put things simply, the more cone area and enclosure volume you have, the more efficiently your system turns electrical energy into sound energy. This is a 5W bass rig:

https://www.facebook.com/electromusic.doncaster/photos/a.500640740065205.1073741827.500050530124226/773583696104240/?type=3

But it'll generate about 110dB of sound!
[/quote]

Was reading alot of info on the barefaced site last night funny enough.

And haha at the little 5w amp very cool if a bit surreal.

It depends if you want the sound to be there..or 'there'.

A low rumble that sits underneath is easy to achieve..
a distinct and clean sound is something different.

There is a whole lot more to sound than whatever
stat you care to quote and measure by, IMO.

I remember gigging with a 100watt Laney Linebacker in the day. I had to have a trebly sound so that I could be heard. I`ve used a few 1x15 combos in the last couple of years as provided rigs - mostly with going through FOH as well - and they`ve been plenty enough for on-stage volume. In smaller venues without FOH they`ve still been enough. have to say though, although they can be heard plenty well enough there`s not the same depth to the sound.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1452526187' post='2950803']
I used a Trace Elliot 150W head and a Peavey 4x10 for years, never even approaching half volume and a nice, defined sound it was too.
[/quote]

That's because those 4x10 Peavey's were awesome! I kind of wish I hadn't sold mine but then I remember it weighed more than my car.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1452470399' post='2950313']
Carlsbro TC60 ?
[/quote]
[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1452472232' post='2950321']
Isn't that a guitar amp?
Doesn't count in this case. Unless your playing bass through it.
[/quote]

Dunno, it's an amp that I play bass through. But not the guitar combo that you probably have in mind. It's a head, like the one at

http://media2.benesser.se/2013/10/IMG_2075.jpg

Hooked up to my BF Compact it sounds rather lush, and it's plenty loud enough for all but the largest of pubs. IMO, YMMV etc.

I used an Acoustic model 120 for years (until it caught fire, literally...) Which was rated 125W IIRC, and it was always plenty loud enough for the gigs I was doing at the time.

FWIW I think an awful lot of bands, even full on rock outfits, play far too loud.

Edited by barkin

I've been using my Fender Rumble100 (1x12 combo) for all gigs for the last 8/9 months. Loud enough to keep up with a decent powered drummer and retains clarity of sound too. 100w.

Previous to the Rumble, I used an SWR Workingmans10 (1x10 80w combo) for two years at all gigs. Plenty loud enough and tiny! Wish I hadn't sold it actually because it had more character than the Rumble.

Gigs are pubs and small clubs, larger shows required PA support anyway. Genuinely terrifies me when people say they need 500w and a 4x10 to be heard. That's an insane amount of power and volume and you just don't need it!

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1452468346' post='2950295']
I'm just curious if anyone is using lower wattage for gigs?
[/quote]

I play an Echolette BS40 (40W valve amp) into a Music Man 212RH cab with EV speakers. Plenty of volume for my needs.

Edited by Tweedledum

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1452553088' post='2951195']Genuinely terrifies me when people say they need 500w and a 4x10 to be heard. That's an insane amount of power and volume and you just don't need it![/quote]

A player with a more dynamic plucking style could easily require that much power to sound as loud as you do with a 100W 1x12" combo, without suffering poor tone due to lack of headroom. And you yourself could require that much power or more if playing with a drummer whose average loudness is no more than your current drummer but who likes to play with more dynamics during crescendos. It isn't even twice as loud.