Why become a member? ×

Banjo so good

YouMa

After hearing some banjo music my friend and i took the the plunge i had heard earlybird by the eagles and the deliverance stuff,earl scruggs etc......After going for a walk and playing in some local caves and taking the newley aquired banjos with us i am totally hooked! The sound is just so earthy and natural. It must be one of the easiest instuments to get a good sound out of,any other pluckers here.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1452461302' post='2950191']
I fell in love with the 5 string many moons ago. Check out some of Bela Fleck's stuff.
[/quote]

Check out his Mrs too, Abigail Washburn. Top player, esp when she was in Uncle Earl. Great band!

My first paid gigs were in a Jazz band playing banjo.
I borrowed he banjo from the clarinettist.
Never have actually owned a banjo, but I am now getting tempted.
IF I can find one cheap enough.

Depends if I can still play, as I can buy kindling locally quite cheaply and of course I have the obligatory accordion for fanning the flames.

What is the best way to tune a banjo?
Tighten the top string until it snaps, repeat with the rest

What is the best sound you can get from a banjo?
Splash.

What is perfect pitch with a banjo?
Throwing it in the bin without it hitting the sides.

I adore banjo. Wish I knew more about it and will check out the suggestions. I had assumed it took decades to get a reasonable sound.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1452499878' post='2950399']

What is perfect pitch with a banjo?
Throwing it in the bin without it hitting the sides.

I adore banjo. Wish I knew more about it and will check out the suggestions. I had assumed it took decades to get a reasonable sound.
[/quote]

That would be "into a toilet without hitting the seat".

It's like anything else: any idiot can master the equivalent of root - 5th in a couple of days but to get to a reasonable level takes a bit of time and effort.

If you are anywhere near Suffolk you are welcome to drop by and I can show you the basics of old time frailing/clawhammer/drop thumb and Irish style tenor. Not bluegrass though, I found that way too difficult to master anything more than a basic 3 finger roll.

Edited by pete.young

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1452502077' post='2950420']
That would be "into a toilet without hitting the seat".
[/quote]

That is a much better version, now filed :)

And a very kind offer. I may well take you up on that!

I have an old Slingerland/Concertone short-scale open-backed tenor banjo which is setup for Irish GDAE tuning. It's a fun instrument, but I haven't quite bonded with it somehow. I haven't had it out very often in the last couple of years as I prefer to play mandolin or mandola when in folky mode. I keep thinking of selling it to fund some bass gear, but my wife likes it and won't let me!

I've got a banjo and love it. had various unplayable ones since being a young child.
Here's me rocking my first banjo.

[url="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/stulaws/media/IMG_3129_zpshg1fmdoj.jpg.html"][/url]

I'm not very good but enjoy playing every so often. I refuse to play in public and always quote back some Twain
[color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1]'A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the [/size][/font][/color][color=#6A6A6A][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1][b]banjo[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1] and doesn't.[/size][/font][/color]

I'm a fan of Phillip Roebuck, plays his banjo more like a lead guitar though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U37I3P2JBgE

Edited by Stu-khag

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1452468041' post='2950290']
My first paid gigs were in a Jazz band playing banjo.
I borrowed he banjo from the clarinettist.
Never have actually owned a banjo, but I am now getting tempted.
IF I can find one cheap enough.

Depends if I can still play, as I can buy kindling locally quite cheaply and of course I have the obligatory accordion for fanning the flames.
[/quote]
My Fender five string was only £200 new. I imagine you could get a secondhand one very cheaply.

I borrowed and loved a banjo for a week, but haven't picked one up in 3 years maybe. The 5 string open backer (I prefer frailing to finger rolls, based on my limited playing) on Thomann has jumped in and out of my basket more times than I can count. I've used and liked their basses; has anyone tried it and can comment on it's quality? 80 quid seems worth a punt...

Im a banjist, love it..... I always said it has similarities to the bass in playing sytle, bit like slap, very percusive....

I love it...
Had one years ago and sold it to buy a ticket to go see gilmour play.... Loved seeing dabid gilmour but regretted selling the banjo,deeply, but another soon after and never shall we part.

Cripple creek forever dudes !