Why become a member? ×

What cheap(-ish) Bass?

Harryburke14

ive just got back into playing bass guitar (I say just, it's been about 3 months of spending 4+ straight hours a day). I'm still rocking the admittedly bad EB-O I had as my first bass. As a first bass it did the job a few years back but I'm looking for something a bit more fantastic.

That being said, at the age of 18 and at college only earning £70 a week at my part time job, I haven't exactly got much in the way of funds. I've been looking at the Squier VMJ 70s and the Epi Thunderbird, as well as some of Thomanns Harley Bentons (with the idea of putting in new pickups and bridge and still having a fairly cheap and good looking bass).

If anyone knows of any good value (sub £350) bass guitars, I'd like to hear their thoughts.

ive just got back into playing bass guitar (I say just, it's been about 3 months of spending 4+ straight hours a day). I'm still rocking the admittedly bad EB-O I had as my first bass. As a first bass it did the job a few years back but I'm looking for something a bit more fantastic.

That being said, at the age of 18 and at college only earning £70 a week at my part time job, I haven't exactly got much in the way of funds. I've been looking at the Squier VMJ 70s and the Epi Thunderbird, as well as some of Thomanns Harley Bentons (with the idea of putting in new pickups and bridge and still having a fairly cheap and good looking bass).

If anyone knows of any good value (sub £350) bass guitars, I'd like to hear their thoughts.

Yamaha BB424!!

Around £200 second hand and really good basses. I've had mine for coming up 3 years, I haven't bought anything else since and it's done nearly 200 gigs and countless rehearsals with no signs of knackering out.

Even cheaper still are the BB414's. Slight lower quality build construction but sound and behave the same.

Don't really see how the BBOT bridge on the Squier VM J 70 will be any better than the BBOT on the Harley Benton but that's besides the point.
I like Harley Benton but if you've £350 budget won't suggest a HB, those Sire V7's get a good rep.

Used well the world's your oyster.

One of these - http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jack-and-danny-yc-jb-4-string-bass-guitar-3-tone-sunburst--200786

I have a surf green one and my son has one in black. Mine has been modded a bit (more just because I fancied it than it being necessary) but his is completely standard.

Both play brilliantly and sound good too. A few little issues (slightly sharp fret ends and buzz from the D string due to the low break angle) but easy fixes and not worth complaining about at this price point.

I have gigged and recorded with mine and it is my go-to bass at the moment. Thoroughly recommended!

If you've never played a Thunderbird before then it's worth trying one before you buy, especially playing standing up, not everyone gets on with them.(although I suppose that's true of any bass).

I've got a VM 70s Jazz and they're great basses, but you should definitely read up about the Sire V7, they've got a pretty much unrivalled reputation in that price bracket at the moment.

I would just go for a used Fender the lower mim standards or the modern player series if you have £350.
Or if it has to be used any Yamaha, ibanez any squire any guitar made by those will be spot on.

As for changing pickups you won't need to.

The eb0 has a very slim neck so if you like it go for something with a slim neck, anything with a sub 40mm nut width should be ok.

For really cheap the Harley Benton basses are good the ones with wilkinson pick ups are very useable. However the fret work isn't that good.

If you're looking for something new, I can't recommend the Squier VM products highly enough. I just got myself a VM 70's Jazz around October and I love it. I can't walk past without picking it up, and the quality is amazing.

If you're willing to go second hand you could get something pretty special for <£200 - there are some great Yamaha basses going for less than that and they're worth a punt, if you can try one first!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1452093396' post='2946317']
Yamaha BB424!!

Around £200 second hand and really good basses. I've had mine for coming up 3 years, I haven't bought anything else since and it's done nearly 200 gigs and countless rehearsals with no signs of knackering out.

Even cheaper still are the BB414's. Slight lower quality build construction but sound and behave the same.
[/quote]

There is one in the classifieds here at the moment for £200.

Squier Classic Vibes, Fender Mex - 2008 oneards but especially 2012 onwards, the Yamaha that Truckstop mentioned, all will be plenty good enough. That said, that Squier VMJ 70s looks a nice bass - got to be worth a try. There`s also a Squier Matt Freeman Sig Precision on here at presnt for £250 - I`ve never played one but have a heard a good few bassists gigging them and they sound fantastic.