Why become a member? ×

Your music aspirations and goals for 2016

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1451388606' post='2940015']
Amen to Gary Mac. I'll be 75 in Feb and I just hope my constitution will be up to another year of gigs. I won't be travelling such crazy distances tho. I'll try to knuckle down to some more sustained practice to improve my technique. Oh, and not to buy any more gear - although ten minutes ago I ordered a new preamp at an eye-watering price. But that was still in 2015.
[/quote]

Simply awesome post. Very cool.

I'm 62 and can only hope to maintain my gig schedule and enthusiasm for gigging at 75.

Blue

2015 was a bit of a surprise year, all things considered. I had given up on bands and gigging and was quite content just recording music at home. To end the year in a band, gigging on guitar has shifted the goalposts somewhat.

For 2016 I have a few goals, primary among them is to write some new material for the band and get recoding with them. I have about 50 non-band related songs in various stages of composition and recording. I want to finish a lot of them. My work ethic for the last couple of years has been, frankly, shameful. I started recording some of them seven or eight years ago and then drift onto something else, never completing a lot of them. To that end, I want to participate in every month's composition challenge, get back into the habit of writing and completing sings. Other thsn that, the goal is to have a good time all of the time.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1451388006' post='2940011']
Just hoping that my body doesn't continue to fall to bits too rapidly and that I'm able to keep gigging for another year. :)
[/quote]

Me too. I talk a good game but the sciatica in my left leg is messed up.

Blue

The band i started 2015 have disbanded in november but im rehearsing with an all new band at the moment so hopefully i`ll be going out entertaining people and enjoying myself again early next year, also the possibilty of an AC/DC tribute band with the same lads with a fat Angus provisionally called KFC/DC (my name suggestion) :D I just enjoy playing and i dont mind taking the micky out of myself one bit, its all about smiles on faces at the end of the night.

(1) Play a load more gigs - a dozen or so during the year would be ideal
(2) Record our first EP and get it up on Spotify/Band-Camp etc.
(3) Keep up the pace with learning - try to take my Grade-5 Rockschool exam by the end of the year
(4) Attend the South-East Bass Bash 2016 and meet some of you folks face to face

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1451466534' post='2940615']
(4) Attend the South-East Bass Bash 2016 and meet some of you folks face to face
[/quote]

Yes, I'll add that one to the list too, been here about four and a half years and yet to make it to bass bash.

Had a small mid-life crisis in 2015, which took the comparatively benign form of taking up a new instrument and starting to learn a new foreign language. My number one musical aspiration for 2016 is therefore to get my nyckelharpa playing to a point where I feel comfortable performing with it in public. Number two is to find or form an ensemble in which I can play it. I've had an initial jam with a friend who has recently acquired a set of German smallpipes (he already plays the big noisy Scottish ones - we're not going there!), and have another friend lined up to play hand-drum(s) / percussion. Not sure how that will pan out, but if we can get together often enough to get some momentum going, it could be fun. Repertoire will likely be a mixture of medieval music and English and Nordic folk tunes,

My band's future is uncertain due to drummer moving away so it could either dissolve or have a new lease of life.

I'm also hoping to team up with a DJ and play some seriously squelchy synthy bass over his 'ghetto funk' tunes, both in the studio and live.

If I'm honest though, I think that bass playing has been overtaken by mountain biking in the enjoyment stakes in the last year - that may bankrupt me,so gotta keep the gas under control!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451424036' post='2940422']

Is the band in an area where 60 gigs is realistic?

Blue
[/quote]
The band was killed off at its peak. We spent nearly 8 years doing 60+ gigs a year, and could probably have made it 80 with a little effort. As an indication of what we could do, we've reformed for a New Year's bash tonight and sold out a 400-seater at nearly $20 a ticket.
The past year since this happened cost me at least 50% of my income. At least tonight's pay packet will be good!

2015 was a good year. Many gigs and some nice deps. For 2016:
[list]
[*]trim the herd - too many basses. Like to reduce this from 7 basses to 3
[*]experiment with my pedals - have (as in the sig) a Sadowsky PreAmp and EBSMulticomp that are never used due to me being too lazy to plug the leads in at a gig
[*]do some more jam nights - just to meet other musos
[*]be a nicer person (ok thats not bass related)
[/list]
Happy new year to you all
x

2016 is looking to be a landmark year....

We played a total of 2 gigs in 2015, both in Italy - next year will be different.

Playing 2 gigs in Portugal for the first time in February.
London (The Garage) first Saturday in March
A tour of the west coast of USA (8 gigs and a radio session) in March (visa dependent - crikey it's a daunting process getting visa'd to play USA)...
So 11 gigs in the first 3 months

Then i suspect we won't be doing much more after that as Tony will be totally tied up with the A&B acoustic tour and a summer of DJing although the offers for SL&G gigs are flooding in.

2015 was a dreadful year musically, 3 failed attempts to get something off the ground. Hopefully I'll be able to find or put something together this year, I've got the nicest gear I've ever had and want to get out gigging...and maybe earning some pennies to pay for maybe a little GAS ;)

To get the new drummer up to speed.
To develop the set list.
To get more gigs like the second to last one of the year (big room, big stage, better pay).

To record more with a house artist I did a single with last year.

To record with a local folk singer using exclusively fretless.

To play more and buy less.