Why become a member? ×

Scott Devine has some really good advice regarding GAS

miles'tone

Trying stuff is the way to go. How do you know what you like otherwise? I didn't marry my first girlfriend or second or third but after some experimenting had a much better idea of what to look for.

Most of us know that buying new gear isn't going to transform our playing but with a sense of perspective it can be fun and as most of the second hand stuff holds its price quite well it needn't be expensive. The message is correct in Scotts video which, i think, must be aimed at the lower end of the common denominator spectrum.

Edited by BottomE

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1450530301' post='2933667']
Did no-one notice the unintentional comedy of - "So I went in to this shop to buy a lead, and ended up spending $1000 on a new P-bass................................so guys GAS is bad Mkay, it's all in the fingaz so go practice"
[/quote]

So this! :D

A lecture on the perils of GAS... from a guy who just bought a P bass on a whim whilst shopping for a lead.

Beautiful irony.

PS: I do like Scott though; thoroughly nice chap.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1450688962' post='2934806']
True, but you need to remember Scott is generally talking to a load of folk who are new to the world of bass.
[/quote]
[quote name='tobiewharton' timestamp='1450703999' post='2934979']
There's some serious cheese-sniffing going on in that jam!
[/quote]
[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1450719874' post='2935214']
That was a great jam. Scott, I apologise.
[/quote]

That 'jam' could only be improved if Joss Stone dropped by to lay down some vocals, but the main lesson that Scott can present here is that a novice bass player will never get that much space when a guitarist is present

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1450719874' post='2935214']
Fetser was sick on the pots.
[/quote]

Poor fella - was it a dodgy pint?

On topic though, I like Scott but I'm glad there was a jam towards the end. Otherwise he'd have spent half an hour saying 'buy what feels good'.

Is anyone watching the prices of used Mendels?

Edited by planer

My theory on GAS and hopefully I'll be more succinct than Scotty D...

My handwriting is ok. It's legible and some people think it's pretty i.e. I get asked to write stuff when I'm in groups at work, on the white board, on big sheets of paper. Gimme a bic pen and my writing can be understood but given the choice I'd buy myself some Papermate 'Atlantis' pens as they're a bit more expensive but still very affordable, they feel good to me (and I can easily identify one if my colleagues nick it). :) If I'm feeling flush I might buy a Lamy pen, their Scribble and Dialog are personal favourites, as I quite like their style and design.

My point....
I've played Squires, Epiphones, USA Fenders, Musician basses etc and I'm fortunate to own a really nice bass at the minute. Do I sound any better or worse on those different basses? Perhaps? Yeah some feel better, are better made and will inherently be 'better'..... but I still sound like me on them.

In the same way a pen might have a moderate influence on my hand writing it's always gonna be my handwriting, the same way a bass will dictate some small changes to how I play/sound. Gimme a crayon and my writing will look clumsy for sure but once we hit a certain standard its calligraphy lessons that will make the difference not a quill and pot of ink or a Mont Blanc. Same with bass, concentrate on what you play and becoming a better player and the other stuff will come.

Disagree if you like but those are some fine pens :P

Edited by krispn

I agree with that bit I don't think that is the part of the video that should be focused on.

People reacted to that jam not by saying "what do I need to learn or practice to play like that" but by saying "what can I buy to sound like that".

It's not GAS it is laziness, the musical equivalent of a get rich quick scheme.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1450836198' post='2936367']
My theory on GAS and hopefully I'll be more succinct than Scotty D...

My handwriting is ok. It's legible and some people think it's pretty i.e. I get asked to write stuff when I'm in groups at work, on the white board, on big sheets of paper. Gimme a bic pen and my writing can be understood but given the choice I'd buy myself some Papermate 'Atlantis' pens as they're a bit more expensive but still very affordable, they feel good to me (and I can easily identify one if my colleagues nick it). :) If I'm feeling flush I might buy a Lamy pen, their Scribble and Dialog are personal favourites, as I quite like their style and design.

My point....
I've played Squires, Epiphones, USA Fenders, Musician basses etc and I'm fortunate to own a really nice bass at the minute. Do I sound any better or worse on those different basses? Perhaps? Yeah some feel better, are better made and will inherently be 'better'..... but I still sound like me on them.

In the same way a pen might have a moderate influence on my hand writing it's always gonna be my handwriting, the same way a bass will dictate some small changes to how I play/sound. Gimme a crayon and my writing will look clumsy for sure but once we hit a certain standard its calligraphy lessons that will make the difference not a quill and pot of ink or a Mont Blanc. Same with bass, concentrate on what you play and becoming a better player and the other stuff will come.

Disagree if you like but those are some fine pens :P
[/quote]

Is your name really Pauline? https://youtu.be/aus3szpa8nU

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

The takeaway message I heard wasn't that price doesn't matter, but that beyond a certain price point the marginal increase in benefit isn't a huge deal. He definitely doesn't advocate cheap basses. This was in the context of lots of questions about gear when he released a video about blues improvisation but had few questions about blues improvisation. That result might inspire even the most reserved among us to make a similar point.

I have expensive instruments because I love them and am willing to save for them. But I don't sound that much better on them than on a midrange instrument. Yeah I sound a bit better, but if I want to get a substantially better sound there's no shortcut except hard work.

I joined Scottbass a year and half ago and like what Scott is doing there but otherwise have no affiliation or automatic desire to protect him. Just wanted to chime up to focus on what he said, which is about the relative benefits of cost beyond a certain quality level.

Cheers,

Joe

We still hear a lot of what's the best bass or amp for this or for that. As if the bass can change your playing or make you a better player. Only dedication, focus and study can do that.

Scott delivered the message in real nice "matter of fact" style.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452510872' post='2950527']
As if the bass can change your playing or make you a better player. Only dedication, focus and study can do that.
[/quote]

Not sure if I agree on the "change your playing" bit.

A hollow body bass with flatwounds, makes me play very different to how I'd play an uber modern slap monster. Some instruments simply command that you play it differently.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452512302' post='2950554']

Not sure if I agree on the "change your playing" bit.

A hollow body bass with flatwounds, makes me play very different to how I'd play an uber modern slap monster. Some instruments simply command that you play it differently.
[/quote]

I guess I get that. If I'm playing one of my Ps,I'm not going switch to my Gold Top Les Paul for no reason. It's is like you say,plays differently.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452538957' post='2950994']
I guess I get that. If I'm playing one of my Ps,I'm not going switch to my Gold Top Les Paul for no reason. It's is like you say,plays differently.

Blue
[/quote]

I think what Scott's really getting at is the folk who buy and sell a series of almost identical P-bass/Jazz bass as if a change of colour or pickup maker will have a serious effect on making it all come together..... as you already knew.. So why am I posting this?

I guess a lot of it is to do with the fact that a lot of people get a lot of joy out of buying different instruments, even if the latest j bass is just a take on the same old bass we all know.

This bass thing we do, is not all about the playing for some people. I've met countless players who can't play for toffee but have the most immense collection of instruments... and you know what, I'm not one of these guys that subscribes to the thoughts of "nice basses deserved to be played by great players" because these basses can bring a lot of joy to some who just like them hanging on the wall. There's enough people that buy super cars that can't drive the cars to anywhere near their potential - or desire to - but like to have something in their garage which represents the pinnacle of engineering and is something nice to own.

In reality, people do get caught up in pickups and their positioning, preamps, neck profiles etc etc... but hey, people get different pleasures out of the bass. Some by playing, some the social aspect of being in a band for example... and I guess having a fleet of super basses is achievable for more than a garage full of super cars.

I think Scott is targeting the people who think that buying the latest bass will somehow lead to improving your playing. Hey, it may do, or may not... but you have to have a reason for getting a purchase past your other half right? I don't really think anybody really subscribes to the thinking that a bass can replace practice... but there's so many different reasons for buying a bass... and the playing of it may actually be pretty low down on the list of reasons.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452543814' post='2951072']
I guess a lot of it is to do with the fact that a lot of people get a lot of joy out of buying different instruments, even if the latest j bass is just a take on the same old bass we all know.

This bass thing we do, is not all about the playing for some people. I've met countless players who can't play for toffee but have the most immense collection of instruments... and you know what, I'm not one of these guys that subscribes to the thoughts of "nice basses deserved to be played by great players" because these basses can bring a lot of joy to some who just like them hanging on the wall. There's enough people that buy super cars that can't drive the cars to anywhere near their potential - or desire to - but like to have something in their garage which represents the pinnacle of engineering and is something nice to own.

In reality, people do get caught up in pickups and their positioning, preamps, neck profiles etc etc... but hey, people get different pleasures out of the bass. Some by playing, some the social aspect of being in a band for example... and I guess having a fleet of super basses is achievable for more than a garage full of super cars.

I think Scott is targeting the people who think that buying the latest bass will somehow lead to improving your playing. Hey, it may do, or may not... but you have to have a reason for getting a purchase past your other half right? I don't really think anybody really subscribes to the thinking that a bass can replace practice... but there's so many different reasons for buying a bass... and the playing of it may actually be pretty low down on the list of reasons.
[/quote]

Excellent post :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1452604781' post='2951494']
Excellent post :)
[/quote]

Looking at your signature has made me think of another aspect.

Status for example - sell a lot of basses due to the strong ties with Mark King. Buying a King Bass certainly won't make you play like Mark King... it won't necessarily make you sound like Mark King... but if Mark King is your hero, having a bass, or a collection of basses as used by your bass hero has got to be reason enough to buy one for some...

In fact, Mark King is one of the few endorsees that I can think of that can actually sell gear. I'm not convinced there's another player that can shift gear like Mark King can. I think that's partly down to his notoriety in the bass world and the fact that the majority of fans are now of the age where they can spend generous quantities of money on basses.

In fact, this has made me think of a new topic....