Why become a member? ×

Where the Keyboard players at? - Any forums like this for Keyboards?

AinsleyWalker

So as I've mentioned elsewhere, I really want to get playing again.
I'd be really keen to get involved with a jazzy/hip-hop enthusiastic keyboard player (or pianist)... However I'm just not sure how to find any!
Anyone know good forums for keyboard players? Or better yet, know anyone who might fit this bill??

EDIT: think stuff like Submotion Orchestra or BadBadNotGood

Edited by AinsleyWalker

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1449821816' post='2927093']
I've never really found a keyboard forum I love, from what I gather there are a LOT of bad keys players out there though so good luck with your search!
[/quote]
A bit like guitar forums then. :yarr:

I play keyboards and bass and I'm better at bass but can definitely work my way around a tune on a keyboard.

Having been to a few auditions and worked for a couple of bands as a keyboardist, I actually think that a lot of the ire that keyboard players get is quite unfounded!

No-one is ever happy with the sounds that you select. Even if you're just using a grand piano sound, it'll be too tinny or too bassy or too much reverb or too jaunty or too bright or just generally wrong.

When being directed, people always use terms that no keyboard player would ever understand. "Maybe try some long stabs in that part", "can you kind of play less but we want loads of pads UNDERNEATH everything else", "don't you have any Skrillex sounds?", "could you sound more Elton John-y but not boogie woogie and more jazzy?" and people always mime to illustrate how they think a certain part should be played. Doesn't work!

It's constant! No-one is ever happy with how the keyboard player sounds because everyone has different ideas of how the keys should sound in a band context and I think we genuinely get less respect than other band members. Like, keyboards somehow aren't an integral part of a bands sound and apparently anyone can pick up in a few minutes.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1450087773' post='2929356']
I play keyboards and bass and I'm better at bass but can definitely work my way around a tune on a keyboard.

Having been to a few auditions and worked for a couple of bands as a keyboardist, I actually think that a lot of the ire that keyboard players get is quite unfounded!

No-one is ever happy with the sounds that you select. Even if you're just using a grand piano sound, it'll be too tinny or too bassy or too much reverb or too jaunty or too bright or just generally wrong.

When being directed, people always use terms that no keyboard player would ever understand. "Maybe try some long stabs in that part", "can you kind of play less but we want loads of pads UNDERNEATH everything else", "don't you have any Skrillex sounds?", "could you sound more Elton John-y but not boogie woogie and more jazzy?" and people always mime to illustrate how they think a certain part should be played. Doesn't work!

It's constant! No-one is ever happy with how the keyboard player sounds because everyone has different ideas of how the keys should sound in a band context and I think we genuinely get less respect than other band members. Like, keyboards somehow aren't an integral part of a bands sound and apparently anyone can pick up in a few minutes.
[/quote]

I'm quite lucky, in my current project I get quite a large say on the whole soundscape so I fundamentally avoid that :)

Here's a song in progress :)

https://soundcloud.com/made-in-madness/evolutionevolved

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1449821816' post='2927093']
I've never really found a keyboard forum I love, from what I gather there are a LOT of bad keys players out there though so good luck with your search!
[/quote]

I'm absolutely god-awful.

I'm still a guitar player at heart, then a basserer, finally lagging a long way behind that is keys!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1450087773' post='2929356']
No-one is ever happy with the sounds that you select.
[/quote]

Hahaha. So true!
But... IME this by large is a capacity of amateur bands. Not science, mind, but I've received loads of this stuff only in amateur pop/rock bands (I've never been in a pro one), and never in professional jazz bands and classical ensembles.
My knee jerk impression is that it may have a lot to do with the latter formations having single leaders.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449765227' post='2926661']
So as I've mentioned elsewhere, I really want to get playing again.
I'd be really keen to get involved with a jazzy/hip-hop enthusiastic keyboard player (or pianist)... However I'm just not sure how to find any!
Anyone know good forums for keyboard players? Or better yet, know anyone who might fit this bill??

EDIT: think stuff like Submotion Orchestra or BadBadNotGood
[/quote]

I've actually played with Taz from Submotion for a hot minute, he stood in on a gig I was doing when our regular guy couldn't make it. Monster jazz player; at one point we just let him and the upright player go for it for about 20 minutes and I stopped playing to sit in the audience and listen. Real nice dude and I didn't realise who he was until we were tearing down and he mentioned his day job.

Keys forums are a bit sparse on the ground, you tend to get either the forums like gearslutz where they're coming from a hardware perspective or the Keyboard Player Magazine forums where it's mostly heavy theory guys shitting on modern keys. I drift around the KPM forums but it's hard work sometimes. I posted a thread about advice for second-wave Ska keys/organ because I double for a band doing Specials and such, but ended up on the receiving end of a rant about whether it could be legitimately called 'Ska' from some guy heavy into the roots scene. There's some useful stuff on there but a lot of chaff...

[quote name='borntohang' timestamp='1450281146' post='2931326']
I've actually played with Taz from Submotion for a hot minute, he stood in on a gig I was doing when our regular guy couldn't make it. Monster jazz player; at one point we just let him and the upright player go for it for about 20 minutes and I stopped playing to sit in the audience and listen. Real nice dude and I didn't realise who he was until we were tearing down and he mentioned his day job.

Keys forums are a bit sparse on the ground, you tend to get either the forums like gearslutz where they're coming from a hardware perspective or the Keyboard Player Magazine forums where it's mostly heavy theory guys shitting on modern keys. I drift around the KPM forums but it's hard work sometimes. I posted a thread about advice for second-wave Ska keys/organ because I double for a band doing Specials and such, but ended up on the receiving end of a rant about whether it could be legitimately called 'Ska' from some guy heavy into the roots scene. There's some useful stuff on there but a lot of chaff...
[/quote]

Ah that's awesome! Really looking forward to their new album.
Ok cool, I'll check that out and hopefully might have some luck! Cheers for the info!