Why become a member? ×

Jamerson... a bit of a one trick donkey?

NickD

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1449688994' post='2926031']
Ha. If so, it was one hell of a trick. :)
[/quote]

Certainly was!

A one finger trick too. Still can't get my head around that bit. I find it hard enough with two.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1449692000' post='2926082']
You could have gone for the one I would have - Entwistle, does he overplay or what?
[/quote]

Next up is 'Anthony Jackson - Is it just me or is he a bit chubby?'... Followed by 'Tal Wilkenfield - My God, a woman... with a bass... what's all that about?' :)

Edited by NickD

It seems Jamerson was even having trouble finding work at Motown. According to one of the engineers Bob Babbitt was doing more sessions than Jamerson, "By 1970 Bob Babbitt was doing more than half of the sessions simply because he was more willing to leave his ego at the door."

http://bobolhsson.com/bob-says/on-motown/

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1449693723' post='2926114']
Didn't Jamerson have difficulty finding work later on as producers felt his sound hadn't moved with the times? With hindsight his work comes across as classic rather than dated, but I guess there was a time when it didn't seem that way to everyone.
[/quote]

Yep,it's all in the Motown Standin In The Shadows book if you can find it, and what a fascinating read it is. But yes apparently on a session in the early 70's in LA a stand in bassist brought a pack of rounds into the studio but he refused to fit them on his bass....and it appears from that point onwards the work gradually dried up.

His very last No 1 hit....was "You Don't Have To Be A Star" by Billy Davies and Marilyn McCoo. Very sad.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1449694937' post='2926123']
It seems Jamerson was even having trouble finding work at Motown. According to one of the engineers Bob Babbitt was doing more sessions than Jamerson, "By 1970 Bob Babbitt was doing more than half of the sessions simply because he was more willing to leave his ego at the door."

[url="http://bobolhsson.com/bob-says/on-motown/"]http://bobolhsson.co...says/on-motown/[/url]
[/quote]
Bob Olhsson seems to be suggesting that Bob Babbitt was a better bass player than Jamerson!

I've got a gig at the weekend - am I still OK to do it??

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1449697537' post='2926158']

Bob Olhsson seems to be suggesting that Bob Babbitt was a better bass player than Jamerson!

I've got a gig at the weekend - am I still OK to do it??
[/quote]
I think by 1970 his drinking and depression was taking a heavy toll and Babbitt was new, could sight read on the spot and was reliable..u can see why he got the calls.

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1449699325' post='2926176']
I think by 1970 his drinking and depression was taking a heavy toll and Babbitt was new, could sight read on the spot and was reliable..u can see why he got the calls.
[/quote]
In the link Olhsson seems to suggest that Babbitt was actually more influential and that he "quickly became the next step in the evolution of funk bass as we know it” …
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1449693723' post='2926114']
Didn't Jamerson have difficulty finding work later on as producers felt his sound hadn't moved with the times? With hindsight his work comes across as classic rather than dated, but I guess there was a time when it didn't seem that way to everyone.
[/quote]
That's what the book says