Why become a member? ×

Jaco... Is he really all that?

AinsleyWalker

No one has mentioned an album that Jaco played on by Pat Metheny called Bright Size Life, it sounds like the two are sitting opposite each other taking live takes track by track, playing clean lines that interact with each over of the band backing tracks.

It is one of the clearest and highest point in Jaco's career and probably Pat's too, the album concludes with one of the best tracks called Round Trip/Broadway Blues which once you hear it you will never forget it.

Jaco's other great moment is his collaboration with Brian Melvin with whom he recorded two or three? albums that show a much different Jaco, not the show off drunken high on drugs Jaco but a real great bass player.

I agree on what has already been mentioned i,e. his studio work with Joni Mitchell, but otherwise do check the other 2 sources I indicated.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1449588329' post='2924903']
Some say he's a guitar god, others think a lot of his work borders on unlistenable.
[/quote]Like many here, I'm a guitarist turned bass player and my opinion on Hendrix that he was a mix of both extremes presented above. I wasn't a fan at the time (I was a Clapton devotee) but I know who I'd prefer to listen to now; well at least the listenable stuff :) . If you're not a rock fan, Hendrix' contribution might not be evident, in the same way as Jaco if you're not into that genre of jazz (a genre within a genre?). But, as I've said before, the general consensus among the great and the good is that these two were revolutionary and 'changed everything' (for a value of everything), therefore they must have something. The key thing is, you don't have like that something. I'm not a Jaco fan, but I do like players who cite him as a huge influence (Pino and Norman Watt-Roy) so I maybe I like Jaco secondhand.

The thing here is to listen and make your own mind up. Not liking someone who is regarded as genius does not make you a bad player or person. Maybe that difference will make that person into the 'next big thing', I wouldn't betting JH and JP disliked some of their era's heroes, which inspired them to be different. And there is the key word - different. No one would ever say that weren't different.

Now returning to the squabbling that seems to be prevalent in some threads.....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIyr5TXqe8Y[/media]

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1449589813' post='2924927']
No one has mentioned an album that Jaco played on by Pat Metheny called Bright Size Life, it sounds like the two are sitting opposite each other taking live takes track by track, playing clean lines that interact with each over of the band backing tracks.

It is one of the clearest and highest point in Jaco's career and probably Pat's too, the album concludes with one of the best tracks called Round Trip/Broadway Blues which once you hear it you will never forget it.

[/quote]

I tried to check this out on YouTube but it's blocked for copyright reasons in the UK.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449497864' post='2924029']
I'm staying out of this... but yes...HE was light years on from the standard of the day.

Maybe Stanley Clarke was there in the front line too, from a technical point of view but Jaco
is still ripped today..less so, Stanley.
[/quote]

This. Jaco is a Marmite subject on BC as this has been discussed on numerous occasions. He certainly wasn't a mediocre musician or personality that's for sure...

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1449560294' post='2924559']

Referencing the OP, not you - I totally agree with everything you say. But i reckon this thread was started either by someone who's trolling, or just very proud of their own ignorance.. either way, not worth the effort!
[/quote]

Cool, now that I think about it does seem like trolling.

Blue

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449587311' post='2924894']

Well firstly, I didn't say 'he's NOT all that', I asked 'IS he all that', which is a question rather than a statement like you're suggesting. It was intended as a means for people to either come and say 'yes, he is *insert explanation*' or 'no, he isn't *insert explanation*'. The best headlines/first sentences are meant to spark debate, for those who are capable of articulating their opinions without the use of insults.

Yes, my opinion is that the tracks I've heard reminded me noodling you hear in a guitar shop. I've not listened to every track of his, nor am I saying that everything he's done sounds this way. If you read through this thread, there are others who agree with this opinion of mine, would you go as far as to call us all ignorant trolls or simply people with opinions? I often go to galleries and I almost always hear people criticise classics or pieces I like*/appreciate, and that's perfectly normal in my mind because I'm capable of processing opposing opinions without employing insults or put downs.

Finally, at no point did I claim he didn't have talent or ability.

Overall I think you're over-exaggerating what I said massively whilst you've misinterpreted a question and an opinion for statements... Which simply is not the case.
[/quote]

It's trolling, no back pedaling.

Blue

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449579742' post='2924790']
Thanks to everyone who gave genuine helpful responses/suggestions, I plan to check all of it out at some stage!

As to [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/3700-project-c/"]project_c[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/34882-blue/"]blue[/url] it's a shame you feel the need to respond in the aggressive and self-righteous manner that you have, it's people like you that tarnish forums for others.
Before I even said anything I stated that music is subjective, ergo, this is purely my opinion. I've been completely honest about my opinion and then as you can see, I've asked for suggestions that might change my mind because I'm always open to a fresh perspective.
I figured this was the best platform to express my current point of view in the hopes that it might be changed, not for people like you to say I shouldn't be playing bass or that I'm deeply ignorant because I'm not currently a fan of one specific player.

This is a place for friendly discussion and exploration, not for people like you to climb onto your pedestal in an attempt to put others down. Perhaps you both need to learn how to maturely disagree with others.
[/quote]

You drop a torpedo like "aimless noodling" on Jaco and didn't expect it to tick some of us off?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449602714' post='2925112']
You drop a torpedo like "aimless noodling" on Jaco and didn't expect it to tick some of us off?

Blue
[/quote]

To be fair, you're the only one who seems to have taken it personally.

Maybe he was trolling, maybe he didn't understand the high regard in which JP is held and
wanted to educate himself. Either way telling him to give up bass is a bit much.

Edited by Subbeh

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1449588329' post='2924903']

Quite. I've often heard it called [i]far[/i] worse than that. :lol:
Hendrix's playing polarises a lot of opinion. Some say he's a guitar god, others think a lot of his work borders on unlistenable. It doesn't mean that the dislikers should give up playing guitar though, all it means is that Hendrix's style and genre of playing is not for them. EXACTLY the same is true of Jaco. He and Hendrix are two peas from slightly different pods -- like them or love them, you can't deny the fact that they've been incredibly influential on generations of players -- but it doesn't mean that liking their music or style is mandatory.
[/quote]

First time in 40 years that I've ever heard Jaco's playing refered to as aimless noodling.

Justify it anyway you want. I still find the comment ignorant and offensive.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1449602894' post='2925113']

To be fair, you're the only one who seems to have taken it personally.

Maybe he was trolling, maybe he didn't understand the high regard in which JP is held and
wanted to educate himself. Either way telling him to give up bass is a bit much.
[/quote]

So was the comment "aimless noodling".

Blue

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1449589813' post='2924927']
No one has mentioned an album that Jaco played on by Pat Metheny called Bright Size Life....
[/quote]

Visog mentioned it in post #47 actually.

I'd agree that Bright Size Life is up there with his very best work, superb album.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1449602894' post='2925113']

To be fair, you're the only one who seems to have taken it personally.[/quote]

I've read all the replies Maybe not as blatant as mine, but my sentiment is shared by others here on this topic.

Blue

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1449604215' post='2925141']

I agree, it's not worth 'fretting' about is it?
[/quote]

😂😂😂😂 Haha, fretting. Do you see what he did there? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1449604607' post='2925151']
Fret...don't fret...just stay away from the headbands.

Ethnic beanie, tea cosy or jazz beret if you must.....even a pork-pie hat, but for the love of God....no headbands.
[/quote]

Are we just talking the elasticated toweling things here?