Why become a member? ×

2015 New Years Eve Gigs, What's Happenjng?

blue

We do every other year and this year is our year off. I should be looking forward to it but the wife dosent like going out so I will be at home.
Think i may pretend i have a gig where all backline and bass is provided so i get a pass out. Just need to think of a way of getting £200 in my back pocket for when i get home :)

Edited by bonzodog

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1449137576' post='2920974']
I much prefer gigging on New Years Eve than going out as a punter myself. Inevitably, the most comfortable place in a manic bar or club is on the stage. That, plus the fees are usually 1.5x or 2x the standard! Looking forward to it.
[/quote]

Agreed, it's not a night I would be out an about if it weren't for work.

Blue

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1449168060' post='2921293']
Getting 2.5x the normal fee at our most regular pub. Is a definite "working" night but for probably the first time ever, my hourly rate as a musician, will out perform my hourly rate from my day job
[/quote]

That must be a good feeling. Enjoy that gig!

Blue

Playing probably the best live music pub in town with the rock band. Getting a fair bit on top of our normal fee and free beer, which along with the fact that it should be bouncing (we always get a good crowd there) hopefully means that it should be a great night...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1449181727' post='2921438']
Playing probably the best live music pub in town with the rock band. Getting a fair bit on top of our normal fee and free beer, which along with the fact that it should be bouncing (we always get a good crowd there) hopefully means that it should be a great night...
[/quote]

Nice Pete,

Our NYE gigs are both at venues where we have always been well liked and draw a good crowd too.

Blue

Local hotel dinner dance, scratch band made up of 4 good mates so an easy and hopefully fun gig.
Expect to be playing all the usual function band stuff, but infinitely preferable to other options.
Home by 1.30am to watch recorded Jools with a beer too......

Playing our favourite biker bar on NYE. It's always "lively" and I imagine NYE is going to be more so. Last gig there a very drunk lady punter fell on to the "stage" area and in to me. Knocked my bass out of tune, mic crashing to the floor, lady flat on her back and helped up by friends, drinks everywhere. I completed the song although in different key now :)

NYE - Pedal board will be shrink wrapped... probably me too.

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1449226494' post='2921680']
Playing our favourite biker bar on NYE. It's always "lively" and I imagine NYE is going to be more so. Last gig there a very drunk lady punter fell on to the "stage" area and in to me. Knocked my bass out of tune, mic crashing to the floor, lady flat on her back and helped up by friends, drinks everywhere. I completed the song although in different key now :)

NYE - Pedal board will be shrink wrapped... probably me too.
[/quote]

My board is shrink wrapped for every bar gig whether there's a stage or not.

I can't believe when a punter so drunk he/she can't stand comes up to talk to you with a o pitcher of beer in their hand tetering over your board.

Blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1449181727' post='2921438']
[/quote]

NICE!

Blue

Depends what you want to earn.

I work backwards, decide how much I'd want and then see if the gig will stand it.
That makes a pub gig around £1000-1250 which is not feasible unless a special event.

And for that sort of money, I think there are other gigs throughout the year anyway.... so
NYE is no longer THE gig from a money point of view.

December parties are as good paywise so NYE is just another date now

We got asked back to the place we did last year - a posh yacht club in Lymington. They laid on a 3 course meal - provided a nice band room with soft and alchoholic drinks and paid in cash! It is very good money.

If i wasn't gigging i wouldn't go out - much prefer to "work" NYE.

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1449137576' post='2920974']
I much prefer gigging on New Years Eve than going out as a punter myself. Inevitably, the most comfortable place in a manic bar or club is on the stage. That, plus the fees are usually 1.5x or 2x the standard! Looking forward to it.
[/quote]

Either you're getting underpaid for NYE or we're getting underpaid the rest of the year.

I prefer playing to punting too. Copper Pot at Leamington Spa for us this year, following a successful Halloween there.

Mixed feelings about this years NYE gig, the venue is the Draymans Arms Spalding, a pub we have played before and gone down well, the hosts are lovely and we are receiving our usual fee x3.

However this will be the last ever gig for "Commercial Break" as two members are retiring, which is sad as we all get on really well and go down a storm wherever we play. After gigs every weekend, I will miss playing with them terribly. (Or playing terribly with them if you like! ).

I would like to continue gigging but will probably have to concentrate on business this year, unless I have an exceptional offer of course.

We're getting to the end of our first year together and were lucky enough to get a function gig at a hotel about half an hour away. It's not as much as we would normally go out for on hogmanay but it's still good wedding money and I would rather be out gigging than sitting in the house listening to the bloody Proclaimers and Paolo Nutini.

last year was the first time in 20 years that I didn't have a hogmanay gig. I enjoyed spending the time with my wife but the telly is rank and we'll have the full weekend after NYE together

The Rock 'n' Roll Outlaws folded last Christmas, but such is the fanbase, we have a one-off NYE reunion at The Wharf in Tavy. Two 90-minute sets (our idea). If it sells out, which is very likely, we'll end up with a minimum of £500 each, and it will be a bonkers night, guaranteed!

:D

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1449410592' post='2923252']
The Rock 'n' Roll Outlaws folded last Christmas, but such is the fanbase, we have a one-off NYE reunion at The Wharf in Tavy. Two 90-minute sets (our idea). If it sells out, which is very likely, we'll end up with a minimum of £500 each, and it will be a bonkers night, guaranteed!

[/quote]

Awesome, best of luck :D

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1449410592' post='2923252']

[/quote]

I hope you guys all walk away with $600.00
each.

Nice!

Blue