Why become a member? ×

Haven't played the bass for months ..

..I am putting this down to myasthenia gravis , which I still have . It just makes you tired/lazy/lethargic.
Looking at the amount of basses I have , the fact I'm not gigging anymore , and looking at some of the posts on here remind us that ' bass is not a solo instrument ' I feel that maybe I could try a different angle musically .( enjoying playing something again ). Even with the various effects I have , the enthusiasm isn't there .
For example , I completed a collection of boss mini rack effects from the '80s , as yet I have not bothered with them . Same with the bass whammy o got on here .
I have a couple of USB keyboards ( akai mpk mini and a full size radium oxygen something or other).
What does appeal to me , is a sampler as such that can record my bass in a pad format , so I can play some key sounds with it .
I know I complain about GarageBand ( and computer recording in general ), but when I get more financially comfortable I will get a new iMac / laptop and get logic and get the apple genius people show me how to use it . When I bought my Mac mini , I never knew that you get free lessons .
I like the look of the moog keyboard that's like a Taurus .( can't remember name ) .
I don't wanna play guitar as it doesn't feel
Right in my hands.
So , question is ; should I reduce my bass collection to one ? Any other instruments I could use in a flat ?
Cheers

I've had periods where my interest waned but fortunately I was re-inspired (is that a word?) by something - a video/conversation/tune - which sent my interest back into overdrive and I got back into playing bass - my tuppence worth?? - don't burn all your bridges - I'd keep at least one bass. Maybe a break is all you need and following that you'll come back re-invigorated...

I used to play every hour I possibly could, always have done, since I was a kid. But have been in a bit of a bass malaise over the passed couple of years. I tend to only play at band practice and my skills are noticeably not what they were. I bought a synth piano thing and have learned to play a bit. I play that now almost everyday. I get way more enjoyment from playing a tune badly on the piano than playing my bass. If the band goes south then I doubt I'll pursue bass playing other than for nostalgia - and I doubted I would ever say that!

I feel for you. I had to give up playing for a bit last year because of health problems. Now we have moved from the Isle of Man back to England. I do miss playing but I could not go back to long evening gigs. I'm not going to give up practising though in the hope that something will turn up.

Edited by DBerriff

I have just come back to playing had 6-7 weeks off. Was a big mistake for me my playing was starting to get somewhere and coming back I'm nowhere near the level I was at. I was feeling over bassed though, hand pain etc.
I know it will come back in a few weeks or so but would not advise completely stopping. Mind you my hand pain did go.
I think bass can be a solo instrument and I have fun making up little tunes and riffs.

Maybe keep an electro acoustic bass around, much easier to just pick up and have a little play on, especially with inbuilt tuner. Might be good if you ain't feeling it plugging in things setting up an amp etc. I've just got a nice Takamine acoustic and it really is just nice to pick it up without any fuss.

I haven't played a bass for most of the year. I've even started selling off my other music gear as I'm not using that much either - my keyboard has gone & I'm probably going to get rid of all my electric guitars too & just hang onto my acoustic. My interest in playing & listening to music has pretty much disappeared completely this year, don't even enjoy going to gigs much anymore.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1448472934' post='2915743']
Cheers . I'm not one for jam nights . There's only so much blooze I can take ;) mind you , if I play my records backwards I may get my car/ house / baby back . The dog might even recognise me
[/quote]

:angry: That's Country ya'll talkin' bout there!

Seriously though, yes, you've had a torrid time of late so perhaps the change will do you good. Get over to the recording section - some great, very supportive folk over there - start a topic up with them for loads of great advice.

I was also in a position about 12 or 13 years ago when i didn't play bass at all for two years, following quite a bitter break-up of my band which left wanting to get away from music for a bit.

I considered selling various bits of my gear, but I ended up moving away and joining another band, which I'm still with happily.

It's not nice to get rid of gear you like unless you need the money or are sure you're never going to need it again. Sorry to hear about your health problems, and hope you get something fun sorted soon.

Some great advice here , as always .
The worst year of my life is almost over . I feel very mellow tbh. I may make a big decision next year . Put on loads of weight due to steroids, I keep waking up around 2.30 am ( steroids?)
Apart from that , and a change of life needed, I'm fine ;) Thanks for your kind words . I'll probably start playing the bass again around Xmas time , when I be got time to assess

Just a heads up Ray, you mentioned you were looking into finding a sampler: Amazon are doing a Black Friday deal on the Korg Volca Sampler which by all accounts is a rather nice little unit even at full price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Korg-Volca-Sample-Digital-Sample-Synthesizer/dp/B00NKD1PUI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1448551596&sr=8-4&keywords=Korg+Volca

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1448551676' post='2916398']
Just a heads up Ray, you mentioned you were looking into finding a sampler: Amazon are doing a Black Friday deal on the Korg Volca Sampler which by all accounts is a rather nice little unit even at full price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Korg-Volca-Sample-Digital-Sample-Synthesizer/dp/B00NKD1PUI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1448551596&sr=8-4&keywords=Korg+Volca
[/quote]
I'll look into this in the morning , cheers ;)

I am lucky to have a group of like minded players to get together every now and again to rehearse and gig. But, like this evening, after a tough week and chronic back pain, just 15 mins playing on my "own" to the cat and the g/f and I felt better about myself, my life, and the rest. I feel blessed to have music as part of me. It is like a good friend. It can disappear for a while but return like you'd never been apart.

Edited by bootleg