Why become a member? ×

Surprisingly amazing gig.

Maude

Aha - Marillion.
At the end of the 1990s we had an amazing Scottish drummer in the blues band I was playing in.
He was a brilliant drummer and we couldn't understand for the life of us why he was playing with us around the pubs and clubs of East Anglia although he was having fun and his lady friend lived locally - his reasons, apparently.
One night we asked him the question "Why aren't you playing with a better band than us lot".
His answer? "I got offered the job with Marillion but I told 'em to bu88ger off cos they wisnae gonna be famous and I wasnae gonna waste my time". :blush:
He was a great guy and I believe he is still rockin' with bands around Glasgow.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1448136019' post='2913300']
... (the sh!t drummer on their first album having been replaced by the rather more capable Ian Moseley) ...

Jon.
[/quote]

I was getting a bit worried until I read that sentence. Mr M is a drum monster and I couldn't believe it was him you were classifying!

Tom Robinson's Sector 27 at Hull Uni Student Union 1980 with Jo Burt on fretless - way better than anything from TRB

oh and Steve Hillage Band at Hammy O on the Open tour - blinding hot band

and how could i forget ... i knew they be good but they were fanf***ingtastic... Be Bop Deluxe on the Drastic Plastic Tour at Hammy O

Edited by steve-bbb

In terms of sheer jaw-dropping delight, for me it has to the Peter Hammill concert at the Queen Elizabeth Hall which turned into an surprise Van der Graaf Generator reunion. It was just a regular Peter Hammill gig B) until the encore, when PH introduced VdGG keyboardist Hugh Banton to play piano on the VdGG song Still Life. Wonderful! Then, in the fast section, out onto the stage walks VdGG sax player David Jackson honking away on double saxes! Even more wonderful! Then I was thinking, it can't get any better than this, as there's no drum kit for Guy Evans to play if he were here. But then it [b]did[/b] get better, as Guy walked out rattling a tambourine. It didn't matter that they were playing a song describing a dystopian future, the QEH was full of glee!

I go to a lot of gigs to see bands I've never heard before, usually at the recommendation of a friend. More often than not I'm pleasantly surprised by what I see. This year we went to see Mike Watt's Cuz who were very good, but the support, Bilge Pump, were fantastic. Particularly the drummer who was right up there.

This year I've also been blown away by Deerhoof, again having never heard them before. The drummer (again) is phenomenal.

Probably the best gig by a band I knew nothing about was The Low Anthem - totally different to anything I usually see but I became a firm fan and saw them 3 or 4 times after that.

Can't believe I'm actually going to say this but... Paul Carrack... twice.

Now we're breeders the bulk of our live music consumption is at the family friendly end of the festival spectrum. The aforementioned chap headlined a night at two of those festivals this year. On both occasions he was bang on. Slick without being bland (despite the middle of the road material), polished and passionate. OK, I'm not old enough to buy any of his stuff for home consumption... yet, but as a live act he was much more engaging than I'd expected. A cracking band helped!

Coldplay, at the Afan Lido Leisure Centre, in Aberavon, Port Talbot, South Wales in 2002 (it was just at the release of their second album). The venue was a small seaside sports centre, where basically they'd taken down the badminton net and put a stage up. I've no idea hope they ended up being booked to play there.

The whole place stank of weed, and had a few hundred people wedged into it. My missus and I went to review it for the local paper, but didn't know much about the band or their material (and are still not exactly massive fans really).

It was amazing tho - so much energy, great light show, proper 'swaying euphorically' stuff. Tickets cost just £18 apparently!

Edited by bassbiscuits

For me it was the Corrs, I was asked to go along with some friends when at uni- it was at the height of their fame about a year after the 2nd album. It was unashamedly brilliant. All of them are good musicians and sing brilliantly together. I'd only heard the stuff that was on the radio and that had entered my consciousness via my housemates music collections but I loved every second. Support were an irish band called picture house and they were rather good too

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1448234888' post='2913901']
Can't believe I'm actually going to say this but... Paul Carrack... twice.

Now we're breeders the bulk of our live music consumption is at the family friendly end of the festival spectrum. The aforementioned chap headlined a night at two of those festivals this year. On both occasions he was bang on. Slick without being bland (despite the middle of the road material), polished and passionate. OK, I'm not old enough to buy any of his stuff for home consumption... yet, but as a live act he was much more engaging than I'd expected. A cracking band helped!
[/quote]

Knew Paul back in the early days when Ace were just starting to make waves. A lovely chap and soooo talented. Listen to the five a side album. Delightful and "Tex" Comers' bass parts are pretty damn good too.

Recently it would almost certainly be Vintage Trouble at a small venue in Preston. I think they had just done Jools Holland (which I had missed) and were an emerging act. Fantastic live performance to maybe 150 to 200 people.

Relish playing Galway, Ireland in 2003. At this time they were really well known in Ireland, had a very successful debut album and were about to launch their follow up. They completely blew me away. Till this day I reckon it is the best gig I have had the pleasure of attending.
Have a taste of Relish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj69Yt_L7bk