Why become a member? ×

Performance Anxiety Questionnaire

Leeroyuk45

Hey guys, if any of you have the time, could you possibly answer dissertation questionnaire? Its about performance anxiety. Its completely anonymous and will only take a couple of minutes. Im trying to control the amount of different instruments at first so i don't get 100 guitar players and 2 vocalists taking it but need more bass player responses. My dissertation is about instrument-related anxiety and if theres a correlation between the instrument we choose and the types of symptoms we may or may not suffer.

If you'd like any more information, please send me a message!

Cheers

Leeroy

Yeah I understand where you're coming from. Its a complicated issue, as to peak in a performance we all need some form of anxiety/arousal. The heart rate isn't necessary stress related, its just a physiological effect from anxiety/arousal. A normal heart rate can indicate underperforming, whilst an overly high one can cause palpitations. Maybe i need to rephrase to the question...

I have just done your survey :)

I agree with other comments ie my increased heart rate is from physical exertion more than any kind of anxiety.
Being very active on stage I am out of breath after some songs.
Also, I ticked the bass box but I play doublebass, yes it's all bass but the anxiety/stresses are over different things.

[quote name='Leeroyuk45' timestamp='1447764724' post='2910082']
Yeah I understand where you're coming from. Its a complicated issue, as to peak in a performance we all need some form of anxiety/arousal. The heart rate isn't necessary stress related, its just a physiological effect from anxiety/arousal. A normal heart rate can indicate underperforming, whilst an overly high one can cause palpitations. Maybe i need to rephrase to the question...
[/quote]

I'm a drummer; a performance is a physical activity to which I am no longer adapted (I'm old...). Heart rate goes up because I'm a fat, sedentary old git whose only effort, ever, is drumming..! Yes, I sometimes wonder if I'll get through the gig, and always finish up stretched out on the floor trying hard to breath. I've been drumming for over 40 years, and have never had any stress or anxiety issues, only physical, other health-related ones. It could colour the replies a bit; not all the symptoms asked about come about through stress or anxiety.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1447764840' post='2910085']
Done.
I used to, erm, toilet a silly number of times before a gig, but not any more
[/quote]

I did the survey. I find this ^^ is my biggest indicator of stage nerves before gigs - it has taught me not to eat too much before the gig on the day.

I'm sure that is too much information for most!

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1447765257' post='2910097']
I'm a drummer; a performance is a physical activity to which I am no longer adapted (I'm old...). Heart rate goes up because I'm a fat, sedentary old git whose only effort, ever, is drumming..! Yes, I sometimes wonder if I'll get through the gig, and always finish up stretched out on the floor trying hard to breath. I've been drumming for over 40 years, and have never had any stress or anxiety issues, only physical, other health-related ones. It could colour the replies a bit; not all the symptoms asked about come about through stress or anxiety.
[/quote]

Ha ha! I shan't comment on those things! Yes drumming is absolutely more physical than a guitar/bass player hence you'll obviously experience stress/anxiety in other ways. Its quite hard as it would be nice to tailor a questionnaire towards each individual instrument. My questionnaire however is designed from pre existing MPA (music performance anxiety) questionnaires that are used. Some of the questions are even more ridiculous than mine!

As a drummer, what aspects would you be more concerned about in a performance? Obviously if you mess up it can potentially ruin a performance, whereas if i mess as a guitar player, it doesn't really matter that much!

Nicko, in response to your post, anxiety is anxiety regardless the situation-its more about the person. A pro may not feel anxious playing a pub gig but might shart himself playing the O2 or vice versa. Same as a an amateur may be fine playing in front of his friends but may crap himself playing a pub gig and again vice versa. The cognitive/behavioural/physiological symptoms are all the same. Its simply about performance and what makes you nervous. I know guys who've been playing 30 odd years who have played the albert hall and been fine, only to lose it when they've done a small acoustic duo gig. Crazy how it works

[quote name='Leeroyuk45' timestamp='1447766421' post='2910114']...
As a drummer, what aspects would you be more concerned about in a performance? Obviously if you mess up it can potentially ruin a performance, whereas if i mess as a guitar player, it doesn't really matter that much!...
[/quote]

Leeroy...

To best answer one would have to know the aims and objectives of the project. Is this from a medical point of view, or musical, or other..? For performance, for example, I'd be much more concerned with complacency, as I have always found that some eager anticipation, including nervosity, helps stimulate many creative instincts, and hone one's appreciation of the moment and event. Different for different people, it's true, and we've all known the player frozen like a rabbit in headlights once on stage. I'd suggest that these same folks would be just as unsettled giving a speech, or even in a crowded environment, not related with music. It's more a character thing; some folks are at ease, others less so. Too debonair is not better, I find, for getting the best performance. Too cool can 'kill' the ambience.
I would say that rehearsal is more stressful in general, the concentration is different, and one is often in uncharted territory with colleagues perhaps equally ill at ease. No big deal; it's part of the game, but once on stage, all that should be gone; everyone should know their role.
As a drummer, the name of the game is relaxation, and, when playing, I'm too busy concentrating on listening to the others and trying to breath properly to worry about anything at all. The old adage, paraphrased by 'Stuff happens', is all too true, but one just takes it as it comes. Dropped a stick..? I've others at hand. A cymbal stand has collapsed..? Play on another. The snare mic has slipped..? Find a spot in the beat to edge it back, or ignore it and adjust the strokes to compensate. No bass drum pedal..? Do the best on the low tom and smile. I'm not alone in this...

Hope this helps (but it's doubtful... :blush: )

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1447764840' post='2910085']
Done.
I used to, erm, toilet a silly number of times before a gig, but not any more
[/quote]

I always need to have a good No2 before I leave home for a gig.

Interesting survey.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1447765615' post='2910101']
Done.
Would have thought the level of performance should be included in the questions (Pre/Semi-pro/amateur) and size of the gigs. I guess my level of anxiety might increase if I was doing this as my main source of food.
[/quote]
[quote name='Leeroyuk45' timestamp='1447766421' post='2910114']

Nicko, in response to your post, anxiety is anxiety regardless the situation-its more about the person. A pro may not feel anxious playing a pub gig but might shart himself playing the O2 or vice versa. Same as a an amateur may be fine playing in front of his friends but may crap himself playing a pub gig and again vice versa. The cognitive/behavioural/physiological symptoms are all the same. Its simply about performance and what makes you nervous. I know guys who've been playing 30 odd years who have played the albert hall and been fine, only to lose it when they've done a small acoustic duo gig. Crazy how it works
[/quote]

First of all Leeroyuk45 thanks for getting involved in the conversation, not just posting the poll and running!

Nicko, I'd agree with Leeroy, that the opposite is probably more likely - the pro doing a pub gig could well feel more out of his comfort zone. I would have thought as you progress through bigger gigs your anxiety levels would stay about the same as you would be building confidence. Also, as the gigs get really big the become far less personal, no worries about being next to a punter at the urinals of the O2!!