Why become a member? ×

Sick as a parrot!

OutToPlayJazz

Okay, so I'm doing a two week show (Singing in the rain) with an amazing pianist who mentioned the other evening that he'd recently bought this 'bargain' 5-string bass. He brought it tonight, saying that he thought it was a cheap catalogue bass because it had "Empire" on the headstock...

Nope, it was a bloody Fodera NYC Empire 5 in translucent blue with a stunning quilt maple top! And the worst part? He got it at Barnsley Cash Converters for £80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're $4100 US new!

AAARRRGGGHHH!

I'm surprised... cack converters are normally very up on the real value of a bass or guitar and will hide the really valuable ones away until the redemption (loan) period is over and they can move it on via eBay...

must be because it didn't have a "well known" name on the headstock like Fender/Rickenbacker/Gibson... and very likely because person getting a loan on it didn't know what the real value was either so didn't push it...

I have to agree, that the provenance of this instrument sounds somewhat dubious. I’m sure it would be possible to validate the instrument’s heritage.

But here’s a thought, would it be a workable idea to establish a thread on the forum where members could list stolen items – limiting content to musical instruments? I know it’s real needles in haystacks thinking, but having had much-loved instruments liberated from my domestic premises in years past I’d have found it something of a consolation.

If this story is true, it's blatantly a stolen bass. No matter how destitute you are, there's no way you'd sell your $4000 bass to crack converters for a tenner. He should try and find the owner, I know if I was the owner I'd buy the bass back off him for a damn sight more than £80!

On the subject of Crack Convertors knowing the price of things...I pop into my local one 2 or 3 times a week, often on a Monday for obvious reasons.
However, today noticed a pair of marked s/h Mackie C300 z PA speakers and enquired as to the price as they were unticketed.
"£399 mate" was the answer, "Does that include the stands?", "No", was the reply.
Just had a look on ebay, a pair of new ones, BIN £319!!!!
Someone is having a laugh....

[quote name='Waldo' post='281010' date='Sep 10 2008, 11:51 AM']If this story is true, it's blatantly a stolen bass. No matter how destitute you are, there's no way you'd sell your $4000 bass to crack converters for a tenner. He should try and find the owner, I know if I was the owner I'd buy the bass back off him for a damn sight more than £80![/quote]

The 'owner' wouldn't have to pay anything...a stolen bass is a stolen bass even if you've bought it in good faith...it still belongs to the original owner...or the insurance company if they paid out.

Yes, it is true. My pianist friend has the receipt to prove it. I think it probably got through the net because the Fodera badge is tiny on the headstock. It looks as if it could be a cheap brand bass until you look at the detailing.

As for checking whether or not the bass was stolen, that's down to the current owner to decide if it's worth pursuing.

Unless smack convertors have a very honest interested bass player working at this particular branch i would say the bass is nicked.It would be easy for a high end bass like this to slip through the net as they do look plastic. In my opinion,natural wood always seems to look more expensive.Saying that! I dont know a lot about furniture but im sure id know quality if i was holding a chippindale compared to an Ikea lazy boy!

Mein gott! It makes me feel ill to think of one of my basses ending up in one of those places. The place I work in is very closely located by two of these types of shop, and while there is plenty of legitimate stuff in them, there is no doubt in my mind that a substantial quantity of the stock is of dubious origin. You see the same dodgy-looking dudes waiting outside for the doors to open most mornings.

Having said that I've picked up a couple of bargains there myself, but nothing I felt was dodgy - and in one instance the original sales receipt was supplied (bicycle!).

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='281056' date='Sep 10 2008, 01:01 PM']On the subject of Crack Convertors knowing the price of things...I pop into my local one 2 or 3 times a week, often on a Monday for obvious reasons.
However, today noticed a pair of marked s/h Mackie C300 z PA speakers and enquired as to the price as they were unticketed.
"£399 mate" was the answer, "Does that include the stands?", "No", was the reply.
Someone is having a laugh....[/quote]

This is why I can never believe stories like this, everytime I go into crack converters they have nothing but stupidly overpriced, often unbranded tat.

Unless the original owner had some sort of mental disease that made him go and sell his bass to them, it's been stolen.

The honest thing would be to talk with Fodera to find out who originally own that bass. I mean, for £80, you could be saving a life! (I might go near suicidal if I got my A.C.G. nicked :)), and to look around to see if anyone is looking for it.

Seriously, this needs to be sorted the proper way. I'd feel ashamed if I got a Fodera or a Wal for 100 nickels and planning on keeping it, knowing full well there is a good chance it's been inappropriately appropriated. Of course he wasn't to know, but now he knows...

If nobody registered or is looking for the bass, or by some miracle, was really sold legally (relative's death, or whatever), then it can be is and he will have a free conscience and a stunning bass (that you can buy of him for £100 :huh:).

Come on, good Karma and all that... That's what separates us, the regular good guys from the crackheads.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='281056' date='Sep 10 2008, 01:01 PM']On the subject of Crack Convertors knowing the price of things...I pop into my local one 2 or 3 times a week, often on a Monday for obvious reasons.
Someone is having a laugh....[/quote]

I bought a C300z pair recently and did some research on prices. Depending where you look they can be vastly different, up to £799. Got mine from Thomann for £399, which at the time was the best deal, there was nothing on eBay. So CC are just hoping for someone who's only seen the list price.