Why become a member? ×

Later With Jools - with bass

spectoremg

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1442586484' post='2868027']
It's about time they had some Prog act on it. The genre has seen a real resurgence over the last 10-15 years but it's never really been represented on the show. Spock's Beard will be touring whilst the current series is running, it would be refreshing to see them get a slot. But we'll get some pretty female rapper. Again. Probably.
[/quote]+1. Now you've said it I've realised how 'safe' the acts are. And of course the ones who work cheap.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1442596789' post='2868152']
by having established acts on it boosts viewing figures achieving 2 things, it keeps the programme from being cancelled and the up and coming acts get more exposure ;)
[/quote]

Fair enough. Now get thee hence to the Greyhound and get sound checking :lol: Good to meet up mate.

Not really.

A few years ago I got £80 for 3 numbers on the Paul Jones R2 show. Then that was the standard rate, and I guess it was negotiated with the MU. I don't know if TV has a different rate, but I guess that with the coverage that the Beeb provides most bands would agree that the exposure is worth it.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1442592934' post='2868102']
I fast forwarded through it, I though Squeeze were brilliant. Wanted to watch R L Jones, but couldn't stomach it.
[/quote]

I like squeeze too. I'm all for seeing music on TV but at least with OGWT you didnt have to listen to the BS. Sadly, I find Jools a struggle to watch. All those chats with musos that are desperately trying to be 'cool' and cultured but are pretentious just make me cringe. And sorry but Danny Baker makes me vomit

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1442661988' post='2868571']
I like squeeze too. I'm all for seeing music on TV but at least with OGWT you didnt have to listen to the BS. Sadly, I find Jools a struggle to watch. All those chats with musos that are desperately trying to be 'cool' and cultured but are pretentious just make me cringe. And sorry but Danny Baker makes me vomit
[/quote]which is why I record it and fast forward through the crap, it's the same with Match of the Day

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1442596789' post='2868152']
by having established acts on it boosts viewing figures achieving 2 things, it keeps the programme from being cancelled and the up and coming acts get more exposure ;)
[/quote]Well, it would if people didn't fast forward through it lol!

Edited by stevebasshead

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1442661988' post='2868571']
[/quote]Didn't even see Danny Baker - was he on Friday's show? Was he plugging that dreadful sitcom about his teenage years. Squeeze did the equally dreadful theme tune on the Tuesday show.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1442768803' post='2869327']
Yes D Baker was on Friday, a bit pissed. I like the comedy and the theme, best tune Squeeze have done for ages (though they haven't formally released an album under that name for ages anyway ;) )
[/quote]

Their original drummer Gibson Lavis? Is now Jools own drummer. The new drummer is good though, although I must think it must have been quite a frosty show.

Edited by Hobbayne

The drummer in Squeeze is Simon Hanson. Originally from Lincolnshire, he and I played in a band together in 1979? called Delusion. He was 16 and I was 18. Since then he has gone on to make his living from session work etc. I on the the other hand haven't!! Paddy.

Edited by Paddy515

[quote name='Paddy515' timestamp='1445205763' post='2889670']
The drummer in Squeeze is Simon Hanson. Originally from Lincolnshire, he and I played in a band together in 1979? called Delusion. He was 16 and I was 18. Since then he has gone on to make his living from session work etc. I on the the other hand haven't!! Paddy.
[/quote]
Crikey! Theres a claim to fame, Thanks mate.

Hi guys, I have loads of Jules's progs recorded, but the one I keep re - playing is from about 12 to 18 months ago subtitled "legends". It goes back years but has the quality of acts that your talking about, Steve Miller band, Macca, The Who, some of Pink Floyd, to name but a few across the board good players. Worth a watch with about a dozen acts on, maybe just my opinion.

[quote name='MWH' timestamp='1445625873' post='2892998']
Hi guys, I have loads of Jules's progs recorded, but the one I keep re - playing is from about 12 to 18 months ago subtitled "legends". It goes back years but has the quality of acts that your talking about, Steve Miller band, Macca, The Who, some of Pink Floyd, to name but a few across the board good players. Worth a watch with about a dozen acts on, maybe just my opinion. ��
[/quote]

Also there was a show JH co hosted with David Sanborn in the late 80's, called 'Night Music'.
It ran for two seasons, I am not sure how JH blagged his way onto it...Lol..
The quality of artists was top draw, drawn from various styles.
Great house band that had Marcus Miller as MD.
Defiantly worth checking out.
On the right hand side of the YouTube page, there is a run down of all the episodes.
Some stonking music from all genres.

http://youtu.be/Vw3ZDAhSreA

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='MWH' timestamp='1445625873' post='2892998']
Hi guys, I have loads of Jules's progs recorded, but the one I keep re - playing is from about 12 to 18 months ago subtitled "legends". It goes back years but has the quality of acts that your talking about, Steve Miller band, Macca, The Who, some of Pink Floyd, to name but a few across the board good players. Worth a watch with about a dozen acts on, maybe just my opinion. ��
[/quote]Is that the one with The Specials doing Gangsters? Never was so much fun had by a band!