Why become a member? ×

We'd like to book your band...but...(song requests)

AndyTravis

Have been approached for a wedding gig in February, all good.

But then a list of requests (not songs, but artists - do you know any...) has come through, all really different, some similar to our existing set, some we already do and some we'll be able to pick up quickly.

But the odd bit isn't the songs or artists' -

We've been asked to reinterpret them in a funk style.

While it's not hard to do, I see it as sort of re writing 25-30 songs (some of which we'll have to learn anyway)

All for our standard wedding gig fee.

Am I being unreasonable feeling like we should say normal set, normal price, reworked set - reworked price.

Or, should I slap everything in octaves and make the guitarist play everything with a wah on it - cheeky way out.

Probably best not to be too precious about it. It's a wedding function so you should be expecting special requests. Granted it's a bit more extensive than you'd normally get ( :huh: ), but I'm kind of thinking that it comes with the territory - and it's all good experience that'll serve you well down the line. Unless you've specified that it's an additional cost, bite the bullet and get on with it. :)

This is what I hate about weddings. We play in a folk rock band, (think Pogues, Flogging Molly, etc) and people will come see us, love it, and book us for their wedding. Out of nowhere, they will then ask us as part of the set, to play (real individual examples);

A Bryan Adams song
A Stereophonics song
A Guns and Roses song
Sweet Home Alabama
An Adele song
The Final Countdown
A Will Young song

Plus many more songs that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Edited by cameltoe

I agreed to arrange some Take That tunes for a particular wedding gig but said it would cost the organiser the cost to the band for the arrangements, which IIRC was around £30 per chart. That said, if it's 25 tunes that's a fair old whack to pay extra!

I think it's totally unreasonable - unless you're getting ten grand, or something. Presumably you've already worked out your overheads and time and calculated how much profit you make per gig - this is a [i]lot [/i]of extra work. Either I'd tell them to stuff it, or up your original quote to make it worth your while.

The 'octaves and wah' idea is worth considering, though - most people genuinely have no clue as to what 'funk' really is, and wouldn't recognise it if dressed up as Batman and buggered them with a marrow.

asking for individual songs would be expected for a wedding, but to reinterpret them into a funk style.... surely you'd be asking for a funk band to play your wedding?
i suppose you would be within your rights to ask for additional fee's as you are going over and above your standard service... if i asked a company to paint a bass or car a colour that wasn't standard i'd expect to be charged extra, don't think a functions band should be expected to act any differently.

if you are desperate for the gig suck it up, but if you can take or leave it i'd ask for a fee adjustment

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1441563395' post='2859866']
most people genuinely have no clue as to what 'funk' really is, and wouldn't recognise it if dressed up as Batman and buggered them with a marrow.
[/quote]

To be fair, if I was suddenly buggered with a marrow by something dressed as Batman my first thought wouldn't be 'ooh that's funky'

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1441560404' post='2859837']
Depends on how busy you are and how badly you need the gig IMO
[/quote]

Plenty busy, and I'd hate to be in a position where we badly needed a gig...

I'm trying to decipher the email, it was forwarded on (with replies) from a mate who's put our name forward.

The different formats it's been sent in make it a pain to read.

But it's not a £10k gig, put it that way.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1441567043' post='2859922']
Our drummer carries a fruit and vegetable selection - for situations such.
[/quote]

Now I know where I have been going wrong all these years! :P

I have been in a similar position. I play in an ac/dc covers band and at a recent gig was asked if we would do a guys party as he said we were "fantastic!"

What kind of music does he want at his party? All the popular ac/dc stuff, Angels, Summer of 69, Dakota etc. :rolleyes:

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1441568852' post='2859942']
I would politely decline. I know it would be a complete chore and that's not why I play.
[/quote]

Yeah, I might exchange emails with the punters, explain our current set (quite soul/funk/Motown oriented) and see what they want to do.

Hate bending over backwards for gigs to get the same outlay we could do at another booking doing what we always do.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1441566890' post='2859919']
Well, I could...

Or I could throw a load of wah and slap octaves on it and take the cash...
[/quote]

Precisely! ;) All depends how you interpret the term 'rewrite'. If the songs weren't funk tunes in the first place who's going to know the diff?

I'll take a few requests within reason for wedding/corporate bookings. Some bands I've been with have charged for anything more than a couple of extra songs. If they see your standard repertoire and still want to change most of it then they're probably booking the wrong band!

Of course, in these situations it's usually the bride and groom indulging their own tastes and a standard function set would probably go down better with the rest of the guests anyway!

It's perfectly acceptable for a bride / groom to request a small handful of tunes but if you are going to do weddings you really need to have a band policy on such things. Most of the bands I've done function work with will use a booking agreement. It states that the band does what it does and will learn x many tunes for you but ultimately the band decides the bulk of what is played on the night as the customer is paying the band for their experience and ability to entertain them and their friends and family.
With my main band we would politely but firmly refer them to our booking agreement. We would flex within reason but if they insisted on us learning heaps and rewriting stuff we would calculate the cost and give them the option of accepting our revised price or looking elsewhere.

Edited by mrtcat