Why become a member? ×

Open Mic Nights – Huh? – What Are They Good For?

anaxcrosswords

Do you get tempted to attend? I shouldn’t be as nervous as I am about the one I’m doing tonight (last one I went to just didn’t happen – NOBODY turned up!) but tonight I’ll be running through at least 4 songs – with an equally nervous guitarist – for which I only managed to rehearse bass for about 2 hours, plus I’m expected to sing lead; that’s a new one for me, plus I already know that at least 2 of the songs are painfully high-pitched.
But are OMNs just about getting out and thrashing along, or (if you attend them) is it more about networking with local musicians?

Yup, they are particularly useful for newbs. You get stage time in a relatively friendly atmosphere, you get to play with a variety of different musicians, you get exposed to a much wider range of music than perhaps you expect.

Above all, you learn to pay attention to what other musicians are doing and playing so that you don't get left behind by an unexpected change or repeat, so that you can spot when the guitarist has decided to take a second solo, etc.

And you learn to wing it, to busk a tune you've never played before, to vamp on a chord while the singer tries to remember the next verse, to recover from mistakes (yours, and those of others). I've never once regretted learning these things.

Yes, you can make useful connections too. Not always, but sometimes. My main band (Junkyard Dogs) still has as its core me plus two guys who met at a regular jam session, while another band (Sapphire Grooves) has as its core me plus two other guys who met at a regular jam session.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1441290283' post='2857615']They are great for folk who are starting out and want to 'have a go' but for, people who are experienced pros, there are better ways to spend your time and to make connections.[/quote]

Maybe, but we've picked up quite a few proper, paid gigs off the back of our appearances at open mike events and it's a low-pressure space to try out new material in front of an audience.

And you can have a couple of beers and not worry too much about it :)

I'm a regular at open mics, playing acoustic guitar and singing, my singing has improved no end since I started doing them, then my partner joined me on drums (just a snare, hi hat and crash) gives us a common interest (playing music at a pub :) ) we actually played our first festival at the weekend ( a very small unpaid festival) but neither of us would have got anywhere if it wasn't for open mics. The band I play bass in also got a gig after one we did, someone came up afterwards and asked if we did gigs, no I said but my band does. :)
I don't really understand the hostility to open mics, they're good fun if you enjoy playing live and your playing is bound to improve.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1441292954' post='2857667']
Yup, they are particularly useful for newbs. You get stage time in a relatively friendly atmosphere, you get to play with a variety of different musicians, you get exposed to a much wider range of music than perhaps you expect.

Above all, you learn to pay attention to what other musicians are doing and playing so that you don't get left behind by an unexpected change or repeat, so that you can spot when the guitarist has decided to take a second solo, etc.

And you learn to wing it, to busk a tune you've never played before, to vamp on a chord while the singer tries to remember the next verse, to recover from mistakes (yours, and those of others). I've never once regretted learning these things.

Yes, you can make useful connections too. Not always, but sometimes. My main band (Junkyard Dogs) still has as its core me plus two guys who met at a regular jam session, while another band (Sapphire Grooves) has as its core me plus two other guys who met at a regular jam session.
[/quote]

This, I started out performing at open mics and all of this rings true.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1441302565' post='2857792']
This, I started out performing at open mics and all of this rings true.
[/quote]

Plus two.

I started out just attending Open Mics and Jams when I moved down to Broadchurchshire and now run my own Blues Night Jam and had a weekly Open Mic too at one stage. Met loads of useful Musicians and we all now seem to go to each other's events.

Equally I've sat in the audience silently seething whist some crappy singer-songster hacks their way through "Aint No Sunshine" knowing I'm probably not going to get another chance to play that evening and the only tune I got invited onto the stage for was the dismembered corpse of "All Right Now" and no, it wasn't.....

Ironically, the guy I regard as my mentor down here and I learnt loads of new Jazz repertoire from, turned up last night at my Blues Night. After inviting him up to back a noted local singer /songstress which he did on slide guitar, he asked if he could do the tunes he had prepared for ensemble ( as he'd been "waiting all night"). I laughed and said "Welcome to my world" but then we all played along on his two numbers! The boot is now on the other foot but he gave me a good education and he knows I appreciate it.

I'm doing a lot of them at the moment. They can be pretty scary and I've had some disastrous moments, but I have also learned a HUGE amount (all the stuff Happy Jack mentions above)
I've also met loads of people, which is fun socially. But more importantly, I've been asked to guest with various local bands and groups of musicians at music events here and there. So I think I'm building up a reputation of sorts.
Of course at a lot of these open mics hale the audience are other musos straining at the leash to get up and have a go. But I was quite pleasantly surprised by the number of regular punters who come along as they genuinely enjoy the music. I've had some nice comments, which is very gratifying.

So all in all, they've been good to me so far.

the best open mics are where you get a given time slot and a predetermined length of time beforehand, not many about but worth looking for, there's nothing worse than sitting there wondering when you'll get your turn and then some mate of the guy whose running walks in and gets straight on.
BTW don't confuse jam nights with open mics they're usually not the same thing

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1441304088' post='2857813']
the best open mics are where you get a given time slot and a predetermined length of time beforehand, not many about but worth looking for, there's nothing worse than sitting there wondering when you'll get your turn and then some mate of the guy whose running walks in and gets straight on.
[b]BTW don't confuse jam nights with open mics they're usually not the same thing[/b]
[/quote]

We don't see the Open Mic/Jam Police down here very often but there was a true Open Mic near here that stuck to a rigid timetable that was popular with many until the Landlord stopped the complementary food.....

Edited by yorks5stringer

I go to a local one reasonably often to play drums. I'm a relative newb behind the kit and its good fun. I play probably 50% of the night and a real drummer does the rest. Never played bass at one tho as I have plenty of work on bass already.
It generally depends on the regulars tho. Some are really welcoming but I've experienced another that was a really closed shop where only the house band and their mates seemed welcome.

I occasionally go with my 'ol dad to back him on a few tunes, and anyone else who wants bass (usually everyone).

Even less occasionally I'll go with my originals band to give new tunes a run out during lean periods.

Despite that, I've got mixed feelings about them. I partly blame them for knacking up the live scene a bit. It's an easy option for pubs.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1441320824' post='2858005']
Well, that was interesting in the weirdest way possible. The guy I’d agreed a few songs with was supposed to meet me at 7:30. As I needed an ATM I set off slightly early so got to our rendezvous about 5 minutes early, just in time to watch him being arrested. I kid you not.
Still, had a great night!
[/quote]

Blimey! :-0
How very rock n Roll :D

Well, that was interesting in the weirdest way possible. The guy I’d agreed a few songs with was supposed to meet me at 7:30. As I needed an ATM I set off slightly early so got to our rendezvous about 5 minutes early, just in time to watch him being arrested. I kid you not.
Still, had a great night!
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1441322439' post='2858016']
Didn't he come up to the required standard then.
[/quote]

Brilliant :)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1441302046' post='2857785']
I'm a regular at open mics, playing acoustic guitar and singing, my singing has improved no end since I started doing them, then my partner joined me on drums (just a snare, hi hat and crash) gives us a common interest (playing music at a pub :) ) we actually played our first festival at the weekend ( a very small unpaid festival) but neither of us would have got anywhere if it wasn't for open mics. The band I play bass in also got a gig after one we did, someone came up afterwards and asked if we did gigs, no I said but my band does. :)
I don't really understand the hostility to open mics, they're good fun if you enjoy playing live and your playing is bound to improve.
[/quote]

This, I've been invited to play with other bands at open mics and got gigs for every band I've played with. One of my bands was 'grown' at an open mic. We learned three songs a week and played them at a local open mic until we had a full set, then played our first gig at the pub that ran the open mics. With other friends I've been invited to play at other longer more controlled sessions and even to play on a local radio station. It's also a chance to play stuff the band don't like and to play with people I wouldn't get to play with any other way. If you go with other band members it's a chance to talk without the pressures of a gig or rehearsal. It's all good for me.

I've a real desire to perform and a high tolerance of the less able musician so I guess it was always going to be my sort of thing, I understand that if you are a professional musician gigging several times a week it wouldn't be for you but I've never understood the sneering you sometimes hear,

As I needed an ATM I set off slightly early so got to our rendezvous about 5 minutes early
[/quote]

What is this ATM of which you speak?

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/268121-atm-or-cash-point/

;)

Actually I'm keen to start doing an Open Mic (not one of those acoustic ones though) as I'd like to use my Taurus 3 bass pedals and RC-300 looper for some fun. Just need to actually write the music now, I like to be completely rehearsed before I venture out.

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1441350481' post='2858087']

... as I'd like to use my Taurus 3 bass pedals and RC-300 looper for some fun.
[/quote]

It's all good, but do be aware that few open mic sessions will be keen to grind to a halt for 20 minutes while you set up your toys!

The ideal jammer walks on stage as soon as his name is called, his bass already tuned, plugs the lead into his bass and starts playing.

I've seen any number of guitarists infuriate the entire room by spending ages kneeling down, plugging and re-plugging various pedals, looking for power supplies, asking if the PA has a parallel output busbar with its own aux and slider, and does anyone have a spare patch cable? Damn! Forgot to bring the tuner.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1441351777' post='2858098']

It's all good, but do be aware that few open mic sessions will be keen to grind to a halt for 20 minutes while you set up your toys!

The ideal jammer walks on stage as soon as his name is called, his bass already tuned, plugs the lead into his bass and starts playing.

I've seen any number of guitarists infuriate the entire room by spending ages kneeling down, plugging and re-plugging various pedals, looking for power supplies, asking if the PA has a parallel output busbar with its own aux and slider, and does anyone have a spare patch cable? Damn! Forgot to bring the tuner.
[/quote]

Oh God yes.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1441351777' post='2858098']

[/quote]

As I say I like to be rehearsed, which includes rigging and derigging. I intend to lay everything out at home as I would need it, building from scratch, and minimising what I take (I could take loads of effects etc.).

I'll probably need a small mixer so everything will be plugged into that, all levels preset and straight to PA, all pre-labelled, cables labelled/colour-coded etc. I want to be self-contained. Plus I would try and be first on so that I could already have the pedals on stage. Derigging is always quick anyway, I'm an old hand at that side.

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1441358068' post='2858175']

I'll probably need a small mixer ...
[/quote]

Jam Organiser: "[i]OK Mr. Arkadin, you're next up[/i]."

Mr. Arkadin: "[i]Great. I have a bass, two pedals and my own mixer, all of which will need to be plugged through whatever PA you're using tonight, and I'll need a spare 13A socket to plug this 4-way extension into[/i]."

Jam Organiser: "[i]Next bass player please[/i]."

If nothing else, I admire your ambition. :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1441358068' post='2858175']

I would try and be first on so that I could already have the pedals on stage.
[/quote]

I think you'll find that the house band are first on ...

Seriously, if you want to go this route then you need to square it [i][b]in advance[/b][/i] with the jam organiser.

Go along the first time with just your bass, join in, have fun, buy him a beer and ask if you can do something a bit special next time.

Chances are he'll be perfectly happy about it, so long as he knows about it [i][b]in advance[/b][/i].