Why become a member? ×

A 500W head with valve preamp for £249!!!!!

Clarky

[quote name='alexclaber' post='380265' date='Jan 14 2009, 02:13 PM']Don't forget y'all that flat is 2,10,2 on the EQ, not 5,5,5. If you have the treble pot much above 0 then you're likely to be boosting the highs which will accentuate any noise.

Effectively bass is boost only, mid is cut only and treble is boost only.

Alex[/quote]

i didn't know that, but now you mention it. it certainly makes sense! :P

[quote name='Merton' post='380278' date='Jan 14 2009, 02:23 PM']Indeedy. We just used 5-5-5 as a starting point for our tests ;) My LH500 looks more like 7-5-2 normally...[/quote]

i think 7-5-2 is around the area that mine has found most comfortable so far too

Yes, it turns and lifts off

What I meant to say was you need to take off the top cover, 10 or so screws then there is a bright shiny cover at the front of the amp which turns and springs off, below that is the valve. I did not take it out but just shone a torch at it.
Needless to say I did not touch anything else as I believe this type of amp can retain a charge long after switched off?

Edited by yorks5stringer

Well, I tried an EH valve tonight ...........not sure what I was supposed to be listening out for. While setting up, my sound seemed near enough the same as before, set my amp up to the usual settings and thought no more about it. Into the first number of the gig and I found myself backing off the bass and taking the volume down a little.....now, I'm not at all sure if this was the room??? or the valve??? I've played at the venue a few times, with the same band, same settings etc, etc. There seemed to be something extra there. I'll try again on Sunday.

Replacement LH500 turned up Friday.

Major hassle getting it - Coda music struggled to get a replacement since apparently the distributor changed (Korg now?) or someone was pulling my leg. To be fair Coda's communication was excellent throughout, and they tried their best to offer a whole host of solutions before I got a refund and bought the last one from Absolute.

Plugged in turned on, first diff was start up time - knackered one took 15 seconds, new one about 3 to click into life. Sweets. EQ pots are now noise free (result). Tone is also better (bit fuller I think). This thing is really really loud too!

Its a real beast thru the ae410, wow! Not as refined as the MB sa450, have to be very careful to tame the highs, but that seems to be my lack of experience wiuth this tone stack - I agree its a very very musical thing though. Easily the best amp I've heard to date for that money (not that I've looked at that price range for years so that probably doesnt mean a lot). Struggle to know if it has a 'built-in' tone really sonce the tone stack is from another world to me, really weird idea that one.

Son number one really likes it - he's well and truly made up. His Ibanez BTB sounds great through it - very nice indeed. Now he's really on the look out for a cab to run with it - so Alex when can we have a listen to your compact 15 then mate!!!

[quote name='johnnylager' post='384095' date='Jan 18 2009, 03:56 PM']Stock Sovtek out - Ruby in [ta Mert]. We'll se how it compares at the weekend.

The inside story - LH-1000 [top] with man-size transformer vs LH-500 [bottom] with ladies transformer.

Thanks GreeneKing :P[/quote]
John, does your amp have the valve shield like the LH500? Doesn't look like it, weird that they've missed that out ;)

Like the double power amps, have you tried it bridged yet? Bet it's a fookin beast!

[quote name='Merton' post='387381' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:18 PM']John, does your amp have the valve shield like the LH500? Doesn't look like it, weird that they've missed that out ;)[/quote]
It's Merton with moveable Eagle eyes! I was mid valve change!

[quote name='Merton' post='387381' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:18 PM']Like the double power amps, have you tried it bridged yet? Bet it's a fookin beast![/quote]
Me too, yes and oh yes - used it bridged into a Carlsboro 15'er & Nik's 15'er but using the poweramps individually and panning was better with 2 unmatched cabs.

Can't wait to try it with a Big One and [s]give it some proper f***ing welly[/s] undertake a thoroughly scientific & objective aural assessment of both the amplifier unit and the bespoke loudspeaker cabinets [s]abilty to causing hearing damage[/s] merits.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='387608' date='Jan 21 2009, 03:19 PM']It's Merton with moveable Eagle eyes! I was mid valve change![/quote]
See, I'm just a pedant ;)

[quote name='johnnylager' post='387608' date='Jan 21 2009, 03:19 PM']Me too, yes and oh yes - used it bridged into a Carlsboro 15'er & Nik's 15'er but using the poweramps individually and panning was better with 2 unmatched cabs.

Can't wait to try it with a Big One and [s]give it some proper f***ing welly[/s] undertake a thoroughly scientific & objective aural assessment of both the amplifier unit and the bespoke loudspeaker cabinets [s]abilty to causing hearing damage[/s] merits.[/quote]
It will sound immense, trust me!!

[quote name='johnnylager' post='387608' date='Jan 21 2009, 03:19 PM']Can't wait to try it with a Big One and [s]give it some proper f***ing welly[/s] undertake a thoroughly scientific & objective aural assessment of both the amplifier unit and the bespoke loudspeaker cabinets [s]abilty to causing hearing damage[/s] merits.[/quote]

;)

Good to see Dr Lager maintaining the quality of scientific research at the highest level..

[quote name='Merton' post='391090' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:51 PM']Here is my LH500 atop my latest acquisition/trade:

[attachment=19201:DSC00244.JPG][/quote]

Sheesh, that was quick mate. How's it sounding?

Had a quick (very low volume) fiddle with the V Type.....I think it's going to be amazing. ;)

[quote name='johnnylager' post='391097' date='Jan 25 2009, 06:06 PM']Nice. More crunchy sound with that limiter off though![/quote]

But I like the blue LED!! :)

[quote name='Tinman' post='391102' date='Jan 25 2009, 06:16 PM']Sheesh, that was quick mate. How's it sounding?

Had a quick (very low volume) fiddle with the V Type.....I think it's going to be amazing. ;)[/quote]

It sounds great. So much more bottom end than the old style 1518s, it's going to be brilliant when I get to crank it at a gig. It's a really smooth sound in comparison to the V-Type combo's cab so will take a while to get used to the lack of 100Hz but it will sit really really nicely in the mix either on its own or with the 4x8 cab (hehe, cheers for the advice on that one!)

Glad you're liking the first impressions of the V-Type :P

• 2 months later...