Why become a member? ×

Is Keef right, Sgt Peppers is a load of tosh?

PaulWarning

Came out years before I was born but I really love it. I like a lot of Beatles stuff and dislike plenty too but I've always loved Sgt Pepper. I don't have the benefit of the context of a lot of the early Beatles stuff as I wasn't there but respect where it's due they clearly captured peoples attention with what they did. I like plenty of Stones stuff too and naturally dislike certain stuff. Funny that the Beatles have never felt the need to criticise the stones as far as I'm aware.

Edited by mrtcat

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1438883928' post='2838428']
Came out years before I was born but I really love it. I like a lot of Beatles stuff and dislike plenty too but I've always loved Sgt Pepper. I don't have the benefit of the context of a lot of the early Beatles stuff as I wasn't there but respect where it's due they clearly captured peoples attention with what they did. I like plenty of Stones stuff too and naturally dislike certain stuff. Funny that the Beatles have never felt the need to criticise the stones as far as I'm aware.
[/quote]

There was always a Beatles OR Stones thing back then, a bit like mods n rockers.

Both to a certain extent benefited from being in the right place at the right time. People my parents age ( born in the 1910s) had grown up hard up. lived through austerity that we cant even imagine, two world wars, the depression, rationing etc. People my age (born in the early 50s) grew up hearing about it. The Beatles and Stones generation, born during the war were between the two.

Older people when things changed in the 60s, were reluctant to spend for a few years, just from habit, or fear of bad times coming back. The 60s were in colour, before that everythig was in black and white, but Beatles fans will tell you that Lennon & McCartney changed the world, which is not really true. Hippy ideals and younger people changed the world, The Beatles were part of it, but they didnt cause it nor lead it. They were just a band, like any other, but with three great songwriters.

Thats how I see/remember it anyway. Sgt Peppers was good, very different at the time, but that's all.

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1438889218' post='2838494']
I've always seen the Beatles, just like Harry Potter and The Wire, as one of those things that are evidently extremely good but which I still find tedious and irritating.
[/quote]

There is so much wrong with mentioning [i]Harry Potter[/i] and [i]The Wire[/i] in the same sentence as [i]The Beatles[/i] that I can't even begin to consider it - in fact I'm going to have to go and lie down in a darkened room and chant 'calm, blue ocean' over and over again for about an hour. :blink:

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1438883583' post='2838425']
Cream apparently didn't think they were very good either...they didn't think the Stones were any good at all though :)
[/quote]

Depends which one they asked - Clapton and Bruce might have given you a carefully considered response. Baker, on the other hand hates EVERYTHING!!!

Probably, but I still like it because of what it meant to me at that stage of my life and the happy memories it represents . Pop music, as dear old Frank Zappa said, is music to dress up to. It doesn't matter if it's high art or not.

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1438851885' post='2837916']
Pretty much, I just don't 'get' Sgt Pepper at all. Heresy I know, but I find a lot of the Beatles, except the really early stuff, self indulgent twaddle... But I don't like the Rolling Stones either.
[/quote]

I'm curious if you don't like either of the world's most famous bands that have had impact an influence on every successful band since, what do you like?

Blue

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1438856123' post='2837992']
Always be wary of using sales figures as an argument for quality, especially as Spice Girls and Shania Twain both have albums that have sold more!
[/quote]

Was I using sales figures as an argument for quality? I thought it was a reference to how many people thought it was good enough to buy at the time. Unless of course you're suggesting that they all got home, played it and thought "well that was a waste of money" :rolleyes:

Edited by leschirons

Well Keef's blown it, because as a result of this thread I have today ordered three Beatles albums.

Beatles albums ordered today = 3
Stones albums ordered today = 0

Mind you, that's probably because I already have all the Stones' albums.
And I doubt my record-buying habits are going to bother Keef, much...

This just in: I've decided to call Keef 'Queef' from now on. So there you have it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1438951418' post='2838931']
Was I using sales figures as an argument for quality? I thought it was a reference to how many people thought it was good enough to buy at the time. Unless of course you're suggesting that they all got home, played it and thought "well that was a waste of money" :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Sles figures at the time dont really prove anything, Beatles recrds were guaranteed to sell, they could have recorded their farts and fans would have called it brilliant. Only a few years later McCartney proved it by releasing Mary Had a Little Lamb.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438951749' post='2838935']
Beatles albums ordered today = 3
Stones albums ordered today = 0
[/quote]

That's OK. On Sept 15 I shall be buying Mr Richard's new solo album and re-purchasing its two predecessors, my vinyl copies being sufficiently worn as to be able to read a newspaper through them.

Thus is cosmic balance restored.

Anyway, I was just watching the vid for the single and noticed Keef's gnarled fingers and knuckles; the arthritis is getting worse. My dad's hands looked like that and he was in horrible pain most of the time. Maybe falling out of a palm tree helps assuage the symptoms.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1438951418' post='2838931']
[/quote]

Sorry if you weren't Keith, but it seemed that, albeit obliquely, you were.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1438905829' post='2838657']
Both of those songs are part of the Englishness of The Beatles. They are essential to the perfection of Revolver.
[/quote]
[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1438950093' post='2838911']
That and For No One are the best songs on the album!
[/quote]
[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1438977180' post='2839201']
Agreed..

For me it's [i]the[/i] Beatles album.
[/quote]I was expressing a personnel opinion, I didn't expect everybody, or perhaps anybody to agree with me, for the record I think Yellow Submarine is a joke/comedy/childrens song, and Rigby is a Macca/Martin classical recording and to paraphrase Mr Richard(s) makes it a mish mash of an Album, IMO

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1438983307' post='2839263']

I was expressing a personnel opinion, I didn't expect everybody, or perhaps anybody to agree with me, for the record I think Yellow Submarine is a joke/comedy/childrens song, and Rigby is a Macca/Martin classical recording and to paraphrase Mr Richard(s) makes it a mish mash of an Album, IMO
[/quote]

I agree with what you say there except I do not see it as a bad thing.

For example, Yellow Submarine is exactly a joke/comedy/children's song and that is good and in a long English tradition of nonsense verse and children's rhymes. I like that.

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1438957940' post='2838985']
Sles figures at the time dont really prove anything, Beatles recrds were guaranteed to sell, they could have recorded their farts and fans would have called it brilliant. Only a few years later McCartney proved it by releasing Mary Had a Little Lamb.
[/quote]

Really? Surely by definition, sales figures at the time prove how many people bought the record at the time, which was my point, irrespective of quality, which is really only a matter of opinion.