Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote]I also don't get having more than four strings. The lower B just gives you five extra notes that most people never have a need for at the expense of a reasonable-sized neck[/quote]

You miss the point. It doesn't give you just the lower notes. As just one example, it gives you access to notes (granted you may have them elsewhere on the neck) further up the neck... this means you can play in different positions with less movement.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='656578' date='Nov 16 2009, 11:55 PM']I suppose I'll be bucking some trends here, but honestly in my opinion anything other than a Fender Jazz or P-Bass is a waste of time.

I also don't get having more than four strings. The lower B just gives you five extra notes that most people never have a need for at the expense of a reasonable-sized neck, and the higher strings on those gigantic six or sevens just sound piddly and weak. Again, just my opinion, but whenever I see a bass player with more than four strings on his bass I expect either some seriously boring overindulgent widdling, or just a shoddy performance by someone who hopes that people will assume he's really good because he has extra strings.

I really, really dislike the look of these overdesigned luthier basses that are made of sixteen different types of contrasting wood, all of which would be better suited to veneering a French dresser, and they all have fourteen strings and fanned frets and weird body shapes and pickups at funny angles and generally look a bit like someone nailed a ladder to a goldfish. And you never actually see anyone playing them live, presumably because there aren't many bands out there where the guitarists have twelve-neck guitars and the drummers have a 400-piece kit.

After having spent some serious time in studios recently, I don't actually see the need for bass amp heads. Speakers, sure. But every time we tracked bass, we'd go through the gear we had to find a match, and every time without fail we passed over Ampeg, Markbass, Peavey and Mesa bass heads in favour of an old Marshall guitar head. And you tend to pay a little bit more for bass amps ayway, and they're usually overdesigned to the point where if something goes wrong it's out of commission for ten weeks.

I don't get bass effects, either. Put it this way: A bass player with a load of effects on the floor is either doing something radically new and different, or he's just forgotten what the bass is for in music. Usually it's the latter.[/quote]

I appreciate you have a point of view, but have you ever played anything other than a Fender? Seriously dude, there are instruments selling for more money for a reason......

And just because someone has 5 extra notes you expect them to widdle or be crap?

Just seen this thread and managed 14 or so pages then jumped to the end.

I like Fender Jazz's, I play in a church and the tones fit in with the rest of the band, (keyboards, drums & a couple of electro acoustics)
Also like my stingrays, just the 2eq's
I have 2 Corts, a GB74 and a GB94. Really nice to play and I love slim necks.

Don't like:

Warwick, chunky neck. Bit phallic looking.
Octavers, don't seem to work properly on the E.
Marshall bass combo's suck big time.
multi effects.

All imo :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='656677' date='Nov 17 2009, 09:06 AM']You miss the point. It doesn't give you just the lower notes. As just one example, it gives you access to notes (granted you may have them elsewhere on the neck) further up the neck... this means you can play in different positions with less movement.[/quote]

I understand that, but honestly, I don't see the advantage in a trade-off where you get a little bit of extra note access some of the time in exchange for a neck that's huge all the time. It's the reason I don't play a seven-string guitar. Sure, I'd be able to get to a low F if I'm playing around the 6th fret, but if that means having to play a neck the size of a cricket bat I'd rather just reach for it. In fact usually reaching for it adds a bit of extra character to what you're playing.

[quote name='Veils' post='656681' date='Nov 17 2009, 09:12 AM']I appreciate you have a point of view, but have you ever played anything other than a Fender? Seriously dude, there are instruments selling for more money for a reason......

And just because someone has 5 extra notes you expect them to widdle or be crap?[/quote]

Yeah, I've played all sorts. When I started playing bass it was incredibly unfashionable to own a Fender. Everyone had Ibanezes and Peaveys and MusicMans and Yamahas and Jacksons and whatever else. My personal conclusion was that all of those basses were more flattering [i]for the player[/i], but didn't actually do anything more for the music. It's like with guitars - Ibanez have gotten player comfort almost down to a science, with ultra-fast 24-fret necks, incredibly versatile pickups and switching, super-lightweight bodies, fancy finishes, trems that never drop out of tune... But what do the greats play? Big old Fenders and Gibsons, because they sound better.

To be fair 5-strings are now so ubiquitous that I don't automatically expect someone with a 5 to be a widdler or crap - although you don't often see someone who actually uses the low B to any particular effect. Most of the time the guys I see with 5s barely touch the fat string. But every time I've seen someone get out a six or a seven (or more), what has followed is a set where the dude has basically made damn sure to get his money's worth out of every single extra available note - more often than not at the expense of the music.

I hasten to add that all of this, again, is just my humble opinion.

I don't have an axe to grind against any particular brand of bass or equipment as in my time I've toured with an SVT and two four bangers for years that I played with a pick at the end of a long strap but I also enjoy twiddling with six string basses, double basses and the like in the right context... It's all about what you're playing and to say a four string passive wins out over a six string active bass obviously depends on who you're playing with.

For instance, I would have been laughed offstage playing a Six String bass with my old indie band and my Stingray sounded like a total, utter, heap of sh*t in a jazz trio...

I do have an antipathy for Warwicks but I would class it as mild on the hate scale. They were just so celebrated but I really didn't like them at all, which brings me onto two things I really, really hate. Not brands etc but 'features' would be more accurate....

1) neck dive
2) heavy basses

Either feature present in a bass stops you from enjoying the pure simple joy of playing the bass guitar standing up. I don't want to sit in a chair and play the bass, I want to stand up, move, and not be restricted by the bass.

In addition, if a bass is expensive, can't the luthiers ensure a consistently acceptable weight? Who the f**k wants to buy a Fodera for x thousand pounds if the bastard is going to compress your vertebrae and give you palpitations?

Oh, I almost forgot - scale length. Does it really give you a bigger B string? Ever notice the boutique basses that come up for sale on Talkbass etc time and time again that don't mention the 35 or 36 inch scale length? 34 is enough ...as Zon and Smith ERBs demonstrate...it's less and less fun the longer the scale length...

Oh and crappy plasticky fenders...

That's my hates...

Nick

Edited by Cairobill

[quote name='maxrossell' post='656578' date='Nov 16 2009, 11:55 PM']I suppose I'll be bucking some trends here, but honestly in my opinion anything other than a Fender Jazz or P-Bass is a waste of time.

I also don't get having more than four strings. The lower B just gives you five extra notes that most people never have a need for at the expense of a reasonable-sized neck, and the higher strings on those gigantic six or sevens just sound piddly and weak. Again, just my opinion, but whenever I see a bass player with more than four strings on his bass I expect either some seriously boring overindulgent widdling, or just a shoddy performance by someone who hopes that people will assume he's really good because he has extra strings.

I really, really dislike the look of these overdesigned luthier basses that are made of sixteen different types of contrasting wood, all of which would be better suited to veneering a French dresser, and they all have fourteen strings and fanned frets and weird body shapes and pickups at funny angles and generally look a bit like someone nailed a ladder to a goldfish. And you never actually see anyone playing them live, presumably because there aren't many bands out there where the guitarists have twelve-neck guitars and the drummers have a 400-piece kit.

After having spent some serious time in studios recently, I don't actually see the need for bass amp heads. Speakers, sure. But every time we tracked bass, we'd go through the gear we had to find a match, and every time without fail we passed over Ampeg, Markbass, Peavey and Mesa bass heads in favour of an old Marshall guitar head. And you tend to pay a little bit more for bass amps ayway, and they're usually overdesigned to the point where if something goes wrong it's out of commission for ten weeks.

I don't get bass effects, either. Put it this way: A bass player with a load of effects on the floor is either doing something radically new and different, or he's just forgotten what the bass is for in music. Usually it's the latter.[/quote]

Spot on that post

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='656677' date='Nov 17 2009, 09:06 AM'][quote name='maxrossell' date='Nov 16 2009, 11:55 PM']I also don't get having more than four strings. The lower B just gives you five extra notes that most people never have a need for at the expense of a reasonable-sized neck[/quote]

You miss the point. It doesn't give you just the lower notes. As just one example, it gives you access to notes (granted you may have them elsewhere on the neck) further up the neck... this means you can play in different positions with less movement.
[/quote]
+1
When I got mine, it didn't take long before it dawned on me that what you get is a extra half a neck not just 5 notes.

[b]edit : [/b]Oh yeah, my vote for most overrated bit of bass kit -> VT bass.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='maxrossell' post='656578' date='Nov 16 2009, 11:55 PM']I suppose I'll be bucking some trends here, but honestly in my opinion anything other than a Fender Jazz or P-Bass is a waste of time.[/quote]

Given the quality of many cheaper basses (see the Budget Basses that do a Pro Job thread, or OutToPlayJazz's recent review of Squier CV vs Fender MIA), there's a strong case for saying that a (real) Fender Jazz or P-Bass is a waste of money!

[quote name='Earbrass' post='656901' date='Nov 17 2009, 12:47 PM']Given the quality of many cheaper basses (see the Budget Basses that do a Pro Job thread, or OutToPlayJazz's recent review of Squier CV vs Fender MIA), there's a strong case for saying that a (real) Fender Jazz or P-Bass is a waste of money![/quote]

Agreed. But then I am one of those morons who will pay a little bit extra to get a classy label on the headstock - although considering we're still only talking a few hundred for a new Mex it's not exactly luxury snobbery. I just like having a Fender and a Gibson and a Marshall. They're what I've wanted since I was a kid. And let's face it, if we were all really pragmatic and reasonable about what we spend on gear, none of us would have any gear at all. For most of us music is a fantasy hobby that costs us a bunch of cash, so we might as well embrace that and indulge ourselves where we can.

That, plus I think there's a lot of bizarre generalisations going around. Sure, you'll find a Squier model or two that plays better than a Fender Mex that would cost you maybe a hundred quid more, but on balance most Squiers are still pieces of s***, and most Fenders are still pretty good instruments. That said I do think that MIA Fender prices take the p***. £900 for a Precision?

Anyway, thread back on track.

Line6 bass POD, or any Line6 product for that matter. Absolute tone-killers.

There's little truth in any of that.

I'd second most of that, though I would also say that, I have just bought a Warwick and I love it almost as much as my Fender P. But I doubt it is any better than, or does anything a Jazz doesn't do.

Also, you should try an Acoustic bass head!

Reference above comment about Squier's being s***...............

I've got a Squier Affinity series Jazz. It's very well built, came very well set up straight out the box. I've fitted a better bridge, upgraded it with the EMG J set, and it is now the main bass I use for practice sessions, and my main back up bass. I have several basses that cost £1K PLUS.

I still have change out of the price of a Mex Jazz, and in terms of sounds, and build quality, it just makes the USA models look a complete rip off :)

Being a "real" Fender is only a headstock decal away........ :rolleyes:

[quote name='retroman' post='657643' date='Nov 17 2009, 11:24 PM']Reference above comment about Squier's being s***...............

I've got a Squier Affinity series Jazz. It's very well built, came very well set up straight out the box. I've fitted a better bridge, upgraded it with the EMG J set, and it is now the main bass I use for practice sessions, and my main back up bass. I have several basses that cost £1K PLUS.

I still have change out of the price of a Mex Jazz, and in terms of sounds, and build quality, it just makes the USA models look a complete rip off :)

Being a "real" Fender is only a headstock decal away........ :rolleyes:[/quote]

I have a Std Squier Jazz and I'm going to fit a 62 Fender decal on the headstock. After I've refinished it and changed out the pickups. It is after all a Fender, and it's not like I'm going to sell it.

And like you said, it'll still have cost me less than a Mex Std, and I agree that MIA prices are outrageous. But then if I had paid someone to do all the work on it for me, to get it up to a standard where it'll be about as good as a good Mex Std, it would have cost me more than the price of a Mex Std.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='657663' date='Nov 17 2009, 11:42 PM']It's a little more than just a decal and a bridge. Tell me to stfu if I'm wrong but ain't the Squiers plywood bodied? I'm not implying that it is a bad thing just significantly different.[/quote]

Some are. Don't think any of the current ones are, except maybe the starter pack ones.