Why become a member? ×

THE G&L THREAD

dub_junkie

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

ped, i think you should add to your decapitated collection and fill the 2 vacant positions,

can i suggest 2 very worthy candidates that should go very well with the two you already have.

1, Boris Johnson.

2, Rishi Sunak.

if your up for that, al get the wilkinson's freshly stropped and

al have a parcel to you by the end of the week 🙂

Edited by funkgod
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

1459747308_Simon_CL2000.thumb.JPG.ffe11a10505a01876fff105dfd046067.JPG

Here is my L2000 Tribute.  I've had it since April 2021 - bought on the day the shops were allowed to re-open in the UK following covid.  It's my number 1 bass - or maybe it's the 1st among equals of the 3 of them.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Simon C said:

Here is my L2000 Tribute.  I've had it since April 2021 - bought on the day the shops were allowed to re-open in the UK following covid.  It's my number 1 bass - or maybe it's the 1st among equals of the 3 of them.

Have they still got the chonkster, half baseball bat necks?  Looks good and wide in that photo.

6 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Have they still got the chonkster, half baseball bat necks?  Looks good and wide in that photo.

Yes they are wide.  It is quite thick too.  The bass I had before it was a P though, so it felt normal to me in the shop.  But I suspect I'm not overly sensitive to the width or thickness of the neck.  I have a Sire V7 fretless Jazz and an Ibanez short scale headless which both have less wide and less chunky necks then the L2000.  If I pick one of the basses off the wall or (in the case of the headless) off the stand, I never think about the thickness or width of the neck when deciding which one I want to play.  My L2000 is one of the nicest instruments that I've ever played - maybe the nicest (and I'm including some pianos that would set you back tens of thousands of pounds). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Simon C said:

I was concerned about the neck too but was happy out in my L2000.

Felt more playable than any P I played (haven't played many to be fair :) )

• Like 1

I’ve had my G&L Fallout USA for a 3 or 4 months now and I just love it. I have a set of Labella DTFs on it which gives me just the right combination of warm and mellow enough when played gently but also just enough attack when played with a plectrum.  

I’ve always had a soft spot for G&Ls but sometimes found that MFD too much, but with these strings, and being on a short scale, it’s just perfect. I especially love how rich and full the D and G strings sound. I think also, with the neck it has and the position of the bridge, although it is a short scale, it doesn’t feel TOO different compared to a 34”, which is cool.  (As an aside, I wish G&L would put their 1 5/8” neck on more of their basses). 

Interestingly, finding how much I was enjoying playing a short scale, I went off and tried the JMJ Mustang everyone raves about last week. It was fine, but the G&L is SO much better, I think. 

I bought it new (£1149 from GuitarGuitar) and out the factory, the fret edges needed a bit of attention (which is disappointing, especially for a USA instrument) but with that fixed, it’s all grand now. I don’t see much chat for the Fallout but def recommended. I’d quite like a fretless one too. 😃

IMG_0095.jpeg

Edited by dmckee
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, dmckee said:

I’ve had my G&L Fallout USA for a 3 or 4 months now and I just love it. I have a set of Labella DTFs on it which gives me just the right combination of warm and mellow enough when played gently but also just enough attack when played with a plectrum.  

I’ve always had a soft spot for G&Ls but sometimes found that MFD too much, but with these strings, and being on a short scale, it’s just perfect. I especially love how rich and full the D and G strings sound. I think also, with the neck it has and the position of the bridge, although it is a short scale, it doesn’t feel TOO different compared to a 34”, which is cool.  (As an aside, I wish G&L put their 1 5/8” neck on more of their basses). 

Interestingly, finding how much I was enjoying playing a short scale, I went off and tried the JMJ Mustang everyone raves about last week. It was fine, but the G&L is SO much better, I think. 

I bought it new (£1149 from GuitarGuitar) and out the factory, the fret edges needed a bit of attention (which is disappointing, especially for a USA instrument) but with that fixed, it’s all grand now. I don’t see much chat for the Fallout but def recommended. I’d quite like a fretless one too. 😃

IMG_0095.jpeg

Love my US Fallout, as you say the pickup can be on the hot side, I tend to use the parallel setting mostly but the omg is awesome in moderation. Picked mine up from Adee a while back and it gets used a fair bit on gigs. What’s the tension like on the labellas, I’d like to give em a go but I’m not keen if the tension is on the high side?54E84BA2-47FB-4331-96FB-010CF14D191F.thumb.jpeg.39254e268db809335b2d443fae5c775d.jpeg

• Like 4

Yeah, I’ve been sticking with parallel too. String tension - I have mostly EB Cobalt flats on my other basses but I think the Labella’s slightly higher tension works well actually, as it compensates for the slightly floppier feel you’d normally get on a short scale.  It generally adds to that making it not TOO different from a 34” feel too, I think. The sustain is surprisingly good also. I got the 760FS-S (45-105). You could always try the slightly lighter 760FL-S. But hey, if they’re good enough for Ed Friedland…. 

I’d quite like to try the Fallout with something slightly livelier at some point - like Chromes maybe - but it’s all just so nice just now I don’t want to mess with it. We did some recording recently and our regular engineer said “that’s the best sounding bass you’ve ever had”. #shamelessplugalert

• Like 4

The Fallout, since getting a tribute a year ago and then getting a USA ( yellow with stripe!) one from Ash on BC, is all I want to play now. Great balanced sound and no dead spots. I use the OMG mode but dialled back, the parallel setting can sound great with an octave pedal also.

Has anybody found a gig bag that fits one well enough?  I'm just using a standard full scale one but shorter would be better.

Thanks 

• Like 4