Why become a member? ×

THE G&L THREAD

dub_junkie

23 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

So I took delivery of a US Kiloton today in a gorgeous metallic Tangerine colour. It's built beautifully and the colour is even more striking in the flesh. 

Unfortunately though it was pretty unplayable as the open A string was buzzing something chronic and the action was really high (certainly for my liking). I contacted the retailer and it is due to be picked up tomorrow and hopefully given a decent set up (if it's nothing structural). To say it was a disappointment is an understatement. I'd actually cleared my collection down a bit to get hold of this. 

My other G&L's have been great straight out of the box, so I was very surprised that this one had "issues" but can't imagine the retailer had taken a look it it before it was sent out. There's no way they would have sent it playing like it is currently. I've found G&L's to be a cut above in terms of fit and finish in general, so I'm hoping they maintain their standards with newer instruments too. 

Fingers crossed that it gets it sorted. It was a bit beyond me and I really didn't want to do anything as it's under a distance Selling Regulations. Here's hoping I hear back soon and it's nothing too bad. 

ECA82975-78C0-4130-82DF-582596C67834.jpeg

0887730F-DD28-4DBE-9FD6-5933123A1E09.jpeg

Sparkly Organge. I can see the attraction.

So having been let down by DPD picking tue bass up on Tuesday I decided to take a look at the Kiloton to see if I could work out what on earth was going on and whether it was a quick fix. Turns out it was a very poorly cut nut, which in a new bass that cost a lot is frankly unacceptable. 

Anyway, a bit of superglue/baking soda mix and all is well. The retailer was kind enough to pay for the cost of a new nut and all is well. It plays beautifully but I'm annoyed that a US G&L shouldn't be anything other than perfect. 

On that subject, compared to my recently purchased SB-1, there's a marked difference in feeling of overall quality and this one came with polishing powder marks on the fingerboard (soon resolved) and but the overall finish of the chrome definitely feels diminished. Not sure if it's just a one-off or whether G&L is experiencing production issues. 

All that said, it's still a fine bass but disappointing nonetheless. 

E85B1E01-E787-4E0E-AFCF-3683758C9946.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2022 at 14:41, Old Horse Murphy said:

Not sure if it's just a one-off or whether G&L is experiencing production issues. 

I hope not, I am waiting for the first new bass I have ever bought in my life.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ped said:

Old style SB2 for sale in the UK. Good price too

https://reverb.com/uk/item/54767175-g-l-sb-2-black-83-84

Bloody hell, did someone get hungry during a gig and try to eat the neck?

image.thumb.png.9f15a690f2dc2f32372b381c0114525e.png

Haggling ammo?

Additional - barftastic seller hyperbole - "I bet Leo himself breathed the thin nitro coating on to it."  Did Leo die from huffing nitro? :S

Edited by neepheid
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Bloody hell, did someone get hungry during a gig and try to eat the neck?

image.thumb.png.9f15a690f2dc2f32372b381c0114525e.png

Haggling ammo?

Additional - barftastic seller hyperbole - "I bet Leo himself breathed the thin nitro coating on to it."  Did Leo die from huffing nitro? :S

I rarely bother even reading descriptions. Plus I'm sure it's not nitro anyway.

6 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

That`s not a SB 2, it`s an El Torro. Pretty rare on this side of the pond.

It's the first style SB-2, not an El Toro.  The El Toro had mini humbucker MFDs (so many pole pieces!), not single coils, and it had L-2000 style controls.

image.png.89ab72498e4e42f62fe0b767305b7255.png

I used to own the above El Toro.

• Like 3

On 09/05/2022 at 22:12, Owen said:

I miss Muzz.

yea, me too, as much as i like dougs playing and his dont give a fu@k attitude, his playing sometimes seems over the top with fx

and some how detract at times to whats going on, but in terms of pushing bass boundaries doug no doubt is right up there, there is something

allot cooler going on with muzz, very laid back and an altogether more gentle approach to things.

• 2 weeks later...

G&L Tribute LB-100 in white/maple/blocks - £299 at guitarguitar - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210305367331025--gl-tribute-lb-100-olympic-white-maple-fingerboard - 2 left

People in the US are paying > $500 for these at the moment so I think this is a pretty good price.  It's also cheaper than a Squier Classic Vibe in the same shop.

Have at it if you fancy a P bass that's just a little bit better than a P bass ;)

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

G&L Tribute LB-100 in white/maple/blocks - £299 at guitarguitar - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210305367331025--gl-tribute-lb-100-olympic-white-maple-fingerboard - 2 left

People in the US are paying > $500 for these at the moment so I think this is a pretty good price.  It's also cheaper than a Squier Classic Vibe in the same shop.

Have at it if you fancy a P bass that's just a little bit better than a P bass ;)

Sadly the 1.75" nut width kills it for me......tempted by the shell JB2 though.....must stay strong!

Edited by martthebass