Why become a member? ×

THE G&L THREAD

dub_junkie

On 17/10/2023 at 15:48, horrorshowbass said:

Oooh thats cool

Where and how much?

Just don`t order them yourself from G&L. They might charge you £50 postage! I would ask one of our US members to get you them and send them across.

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Ah - sorry missed that, I thought it was for a full bass!

I got 3 big knobs and 6 sliders plus postage from ashdown including postage for £2.50 :D

Definitely - a bass over here from the states for £50, tae me!

• 2 months later...

G&L body shapes:

I tried an LB100 recently and discovered that the body was a bit bigger than the L2000, when I’d assumed they were the same. How does the CLF Research L1000 body shape compare? Is it the same as the L2000, or bigger?  How many different body shapes do G&L actually have anyway? Just curious……

(I actually bought a Fullerton LB100 and sent it back because it was a bit neck heavy, which I was surprised and disappointed by). 

1 hour ago, dmckee said:

G&L body shapes:

I tried an LB100 recently and discovered that the body was a bit bigger than the L2000, when I’d assumed they were the same. How does the CLF Research L1000 body shape compare? Is it the same as the L2000, or bigger?  How many different body shapes do G&L actually have anyway? Just curious……

(I actually bought a Fullerton LB100 and sent it back because it was a bit neck heavy, which I was surprised and disappointed by). 

If the L-1000 and L-2000 aren't exactly the same body I'd be very surprised.

The LB-100 is G&L's P bass - it's actually slightly smaller than a regular P bass, but as you've found, larger than/different to an L-series.  The SB-1/2 is smaller/different - has a much more cinched waist.  I think the Kiloton shares this body shape.  Then there's the ASAT (no top horn like a Telecaster).  And of course their J bass-a-like.

I think that's it.  Off for a lie down now after ogling G&Ls when I'm aff it this year ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is my LB-100, I think I've had it about a year now. It's on its third pickup and second pickguard 

Ruby Red Metallic turns out to be quite dark in a sunless northern domestic environment, and the vintage tint neck turned out to be still quite a light tone. That combination with the original pearloid pg didn't hang together well. The replacement black pg brings the life out of the dark red finish, its a much more coherent look now, especially with the cream covers.

20230721_173102-01-01.thumb.jpeg.587b04830142a663cfad4a2cacc68395.jpeg

I bought the bass to put a Dimarzio Model P and steel rounds on. It sounded exactly as hoped, and the very low action made it very easy to play. Unfortunately, it felt a bit soulless.

During a period of experimentation I discovered that the bass comes to life with flats. I also came across a demo of Chromes with a Fralin pickup and thought: that's exactly the sound I'm after. So off came the Dimarzio, and in came this stock-wind Fralin. The Chromes are 45-65-85-105, about the same tension and feel as 50-70-90-110 Rotosounds, but that low action means they're still comfortable to play.

I've another G&L, which is spending the winter in California, getting a new neck — the truss rod wasn't doing the job, so the neck was gradually getting more bent.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I wrote to Andertons and GuitarGuitar today, asking if/when they were anticipating getting any L1000s in. 

Andertons says they weren’t going to stock that bass again (although they could do a custom order that’d take 4-6 months), and GG says they no longer stock G&Ls at all. 

SO, the current dearth of G&Ls in the UK doesn’t look like changing anytime soon. 

2 minutes ago, dmckee said:

I wrote to Andertons and GuitarGuitar today, asking if/when they were anticipating getting any L1000s in. 

Andertons says they weren’t going to stock that bass again (although they could do a custom order that’d take 4-6 months), and GG says they no longer stock G&Ls at all. 

SO, the current dearth of G&Ls in the UK doesn’t look like changing anytime soon. 

I wonder why both retailers are giving them a body-swerve? They're generally excellent basses and those two outfits are big players in guitar retail. Hope this isn't a sign of anything 'terminal' fir G&L? 🙁

I hope it’s nothing bad too. I really like my G&L! It is tricky getting them though. In addition to my L-1000 having to be a special order, the JB-2 Tribute I ordered from Thomann in December is still yet to arrive (originally expected 1-2 weeks and quickly updated to April).

9 minutes ago, dmckee said:

Did Andertons say they weren’t going to stock L-1000s or just that particular colour? Mine is match green, so a bit odd and I wasn’t surprised that I needed to specially order that. The more standard core colours were in stock at the time though.

I’ve only ever heard people say good things about the Tributes too.

17 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

I wonder why both retailers are giving them a body-swerve? They're generally excellent basses and those two outfits are big players in guitar retail. Hope this isn't a sign of anything 'terminal' fir G&L? 🙁

wasnt there a thing a few years back where guitarguitar andertons and PMT teamed up to act as defecto UK distributers for G&L ? It really wouldn't have surprised me if that turned out to be not as profitable as expected - and that meant that relationship stopping... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dmckee said:

I did same last weekend, got same "you can custom order" type response.  I told them it wasn't a good look and they should at least display them and say they can be ordered on request or sommat.

Availablity has been crap for months - USA and Tribute :(

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

Did Andertons say they weren’t going to stock L-1000s or just that particular colour? Mine is match green, so a bit odd and I wasn’t surprised that I needed to specially order that. The more standard core colours were in stock at the time though.

I’ve only ever heard people say good things about the Tributes too.

I didn’t specify a colour and they said: “These basses will be special order items only, I am afraid. We will not get them for regular stock,”

GG said “I'm afraid we no longer stock G&L so we will not be getting these ones back in stock.

Sorry we cannot help on this occasion.”

Edited by dmckee

11 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

wasnt there a thing a few years back where guitarguitar andertons and PMT teamed up to act as defecto UK distributers for G&L ? It really wouldn't have surprised me if that turned out to be not as profitable as expected - and that meant that relationship stopping... 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/139216/dealer-buying-consortium-guitarguitar-andertons-pmt

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...