Why become a member? ×

THE G&L THREAD

dub_junkie

28 minutes ago, The fasting showman said:

The Fallout, since getting a tribute a year ago and then getting a USA ( yellow with stripe!) one from Ash on BC, is all I want to play now. Great balanced sound and no dead spots. I use the OMG mode but dialled back, the parallel setting can sound great with an octave pedal also.

Has anybody found a gig bag that fits one well enough?  I'm just using a standard full scale one but shorter would be better.

Thanks 

The fallout launch edition came with a short scale G&L gigbag as standard. Don’t know if you can get them separately?

• Like 1

My two G&L's, I've had the 2500 for about 12 years, bought second hand and the only bass I had gigged with in that time, until I got the LB a couple of months ago. I had an L1505 many years ago and have always regretted selling it, this is the only picture I have of it.IMG_0656.thumb.jpg.44c1e5f4ab287b9e4a9b479c2c88138e.jpgIMG_2662.thumb.jpeg.6425e1b0878ae3170d05ddb078fbe7a6.jpeg2004_0807Image0019-1.thumb.JPG.3a83af2fa19d056312f6b5483fc4a86a.JPG

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Steve1250 said:

My two G&L's, I've had the 2500 for about 12 years, bought second hand and the only bass I had gigged with in that time, until I got the LB a couple of months ago. I had an L1505 many years ago and have always regretted selling it, this is the only picture I have of it.IMG_0656.thumb.jpg.44c1e5f4ab287b9e4a9b479c2c88138e.jpgIMG_2662.thumb.jpeg.6425e1b0878ae3170d05ddb078fbe7a6.jpeg2004_0807Image0019-1.thumb.JPG.3a83af2fa19d056312f6b5483fc4a86a.JPG

Lovely basses. Are you in the SAS by any chance?

On 09/04/2023 at 09:48, The fasting showman said:

Has anybody found a gig bag that fits one well enough?  I'm just using a standard full scale one but shorter would be better.

Thanks 

Just took delivery of a Fender FS610 Short Scale Bass Gig bag and it fits my G&L Fallout Tribute bass and my Epiphone Newport bass perfectly. It also is a cosy fit for my 32ins scale SpectaRayVibe Bitsa bass.

Happy Days☺️

• Thanks 1

On 11/04/2023 at 18:22, Steve1250 said:

My two G&L's, I've had the 2500 for about 12 years, bought second hand and the only bass I had gigged with in that time, until I got the LB a couple of months ago. I had an L1505 many years ago and have always regretted selling it, this is the only picture I have of it.

IMG_0656.thumb.jpg.44c1e5f4ab287b9e4a9b479c2c88138e.jpgIMG_2662.thumb.jpeg.6425e1b0878ae3170d05ddb078fbe7a6.jpeg2004_0807Image0019-1.thumb.JPG.3a83af2fa19d056312f6b5483fc4a86a.JPG

Didn't have an L-1505 but I did own the same  L-1500 twice.  That was one sharp toned, almost nasal sounding bass. The treble could be made to induce the same reaction as hearing nails being drawn down a blackboard. But it had a ton of character and never could not be heard. I miss it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, martthebass said:

Loving the fretless!

Thanks Mart. Is in all probability the best fretless I've owned and that includes the '94 Stingray fretless I just sold. Reason being I think I like an ebony board and bridge J single coil tone most of all on a fretless. 

• Like 2

Sorry if this is not appropriate for the thread, but could anyone give me any info on what the neck profile is like on a SB-2? I seem to remember playing a tribute one a while ago and it was very narrow but a bit more of a U shape.

what are the US built ones like, as there are a few around secondhand at the moment.

30 minutes ago, NJE said:

Sorry if this is not appropriate for the thread, but could anyone give me any info on what the neck profile is like on a SB-2? I seem to remember playing a tribute one a while ago and it was very narrow but a bit more of a U shape.

what are the US built ones like, as there are a few around secondhand at the moment.

Can only comment on Tribute SB-2 from a few years back but can confirm what you're thinking - Jazz nut width (38mm) but a generous thickness back to front.

For everything else - I'd go take a look at the G&L website. Trouble with USA G&Ls is that the neck could be any of a number of profiles on the built to order models. The Fullerton Deluxe models are more rigidly defined. Again, the G&L website will explain all, including all the neck options.

13 hours ago, admiralchew said:

I recently took delivery of my CLF L-1000. I’ve been waiting a while for it and I’m thrilled with it. I expect the colour won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but I fell in love with it.

80DD9033-A470-46ED-A6D9-918589CADF7C.thumb.jpeg.0ca719457aec1fffbaaab2a9cf691e0d.jpeg

I must confess that I wasn't a fan of the Matcha Green finish when I saw it on the G&L website, but it looks lighter in your photo and somehow better - almost military.  I do wish G&L would offer the CLF models in more colours - they only ever seem to do 4 at a time per model and 2 of them (Natural and Old School Tobacco Sunburst) never change on the wunkay.  They stopped the Pharoah Gold, and they stopped the Royal Purple (that's my one - love it).

Enjoy your wunkay!

• Like 1

On 19/04/2023 at 15:30, neepheid said:

I must confess that I wasn't a fan of the Matcha Green finish when I saw it on the G&L website, but it looks lighter in your photo and somehow better - almost military.  I do wish G&L would offer the CLF models in more colours - they only ever seem to do 4 at a time per model and 2 of them (Natural and Old School Tobacco Sunburst) never change on the wunkay.  They stopped the Pharoah Gold, and they stopped the Royal Purple (that's my one - love it).

Enjoy your wunkay!

Thanks very much; I'm already enjoying it!

I actually liked the finish on the website and was initially a bit disappointed when it arrived darker and with a more creamy finish. I don't know what I was initially thinking though as it grew on me almost immediately, and I'm not sure a lighter shade would work well.

• 3 weeks later...

So, having never tried a JB-2, and seeing that crazy deal at Anderton’s, I thought I’d give one a go. But I’m picky about weight so I emailed and asked. “The pink one we have on the shop floor weighs 7.35lbs” I was told. I said “I’m thinking about a sunburst one”, and he said “they won’t vary by much”, so I go ahead and order. 

It arrived today. It weighs 10lbs 4oz. It is already back in the box. I have a very strong suspicion that the pink one does not weigh 7.35lbs. They are going to try to find a lighter one for me. We shall see…..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dmckee said:

So, having never tried a JB-2, and seeing that crazy deal at Anderton’s, I thought I’d give one a go. But I’m picky about weight so I emailed and asked. “The pink one we have on the shop floor weighs 7.35lbs” I was told. I said “I’m thinking about a sunburst one”, and he said “they won’t vary by much”, so I go ahead and order. 

It arrived today. It weighs 10lbs 4oz. It is already back in the box. I have a very strong suspicion that the pink one does not weigh 7.35lbs. They are going to try to find a lighter one for me. We shall see…..

That's pure incompetence, coupled with laziness - "they won't vary by much" - uhh, wood be woody.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m having a major G&L GAS problem (as a result of enjoying my Fallout so much) and I need help…. 

First, I thought I might buy a cheap JB-2. Ordered one from Andertons but it was really heavy and I was underwhelmed by the tone. So, the current rabbit hole is the L-2000, which I have had and liked before….

SO, Anderton’s have L2000 Tributes at  £449, but I’m worried they’ll be at least as heavy as the JB-2 was. (I had them weigh some SB-2 and they were over 11 lbs apparently!). 

OR, being a little silly, I could buy the Fallout’s big brother, the pearl grey L-2000 that’s in GG in Glasgow, at £1399. They weighed that one for me and it’s a decent 8.4lbs. BUT, that’s a lot of money and oddly it doesn’t seem the have the usual hard case you normally get with USA G&Ls. And I’d prefer a different colour this time, I think. 

OR, I wait and see if a CLF Research L-2000 pops up, as they seemed to be selling at reasonable prices when they were around. Just doesn’t seem to be any anywhere right now.

OR, I put my wallet away, stick with what I’ve already got and try and stop this madness. 😃

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dmckee said:

I’m having a major G&L GAS problem (as a result of enjoying my Fallout so much) and I need help…. 

First, I thought I might buy a cheap JB-2. Ordered one from Andertons but it was really heavy and I was underwhelmed by the tone. So, the current rabbit hole is the L-2000, which I have had and liked before….

SO, Anderton’s have L2000 Tributes at  £449, but I’m worried they’ll be at least as heavy as the JB-2 was. (I had them weigh some SB-2 and they were over 11 lbs apparently!). 

OR, being a little silly, I could buy the Fallout’s big brother, the pearl grey L-2000 that’s in GG in Glasgow, at £1399. They weighed that one for me and it’s a decent 8.4lbs. BUT, that’s a lot of money and oddly it doesn’t seem the have the usual hard case you normally get with USA G&Ls. And I’d prefer a different colour this time, I think. 

OR, I wait and see if a CLF Research L-2000 pops up, as they seemed to be selling at reasonable prices when they were around. Just doesn’t seem to be any anywhere right now.

OR, I put my wallet away, stick with what I’ve already got and try and stop this madness. 😃

I’ve had a few G&Ls, L2000, L2500 and a JB2 (trib) but the Fallout has been the first one I’ve bonded with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dmckee said:

The pearl grey L2000 is a Fullerton Deluxe model which is a full fat USA L2K that comes with a gig bag instead of a case. 

Grey/maple or Ruby red/rosewood are the only two choices.  

• Like 1

Anyone here have a Kiloton and an L2500? I want something four string with a jazz type neck but the sound of the L2500, is the Kiloton going to sound anywhere close? I've got a four string Jazz which I like but it doesn't cut it against the sound of the L2500 which I've grown accustomed to over the years.

The other problem is getting hold of a Kiloton at the moment!

Kiloton Tribute, my 2500 is a USA model. I considered the l2000 tribute but there doesn't seem to be much difference in the neck width between that and the 2500

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

You don't mention if it's Tribute or USA you're talking.

Edited by Steve1250

Just to follow up on my rambling GAS problem, for anyone vaguely interested….. I resolved it - by buying the Fullerton Deluxe L-2000. 😀

Had it out at a rehearsal tonight.  Very happy with it. Sounds and feels fantastic. I’d forgotten how much I love the body shape and the neck is beautiful. 

So, here it is with its wee brother. Turns out they came out the factory about 3 weeks apart. 

IMG_0627.jpeg

Edited by dmckee
  • Like 16