Why become a member? ×

Drum Machines?

operative451

Hi!I'm thinking of getting a drum machine for practicing along to. Silly thing is, i have two laptops, one for work, and a teeny netbook, both of which have FL studio and a bunch of other stuff on. The drum sounds are nice but i find the sequencing a faff, and would much prefer to be able to bash some drum pads to set up a rhythm. I don't want to spend loads though - would i be better off just knuckling down and learning to program FL studio properly, or can anyone recommend a not-expensive beat box with a nice mix of natural and old skool analog noises on?

Thanks! :)

There are loads of places on the interwebz where you can download various drum loops and patterns in every conceivable genre. Having said that I have been using FL Studio for years and generally speaking it's always worth getting to know. Like every DAW, it's quite a steep learning curve, but there is always a way to do what you want quickly and easily... once you get over the difficult bits. ;)

If you want a hardware unit, then the Alesis SR-16 is an excellent bet. It was in production for an astonishing 13 years, and is readily available second hand. Cheaper still is the little Boss DR-550, which is slightly less featured than the Alesis but even simpler to program (I personally prefer the sounds on the Boss as well).

Guest bassman7755

Yet another option is a multi effects unit or preamp with built in drum patterns, some the zoom and digitech units have these, has the advantage of having just one thing to plug in and set up, and you get a great little practice and recording preamp for "free".

Something like this maybe ...

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/digitech-bp90/67631?gclid=CjwKEAjw8e2sBRCYte6U3suRjFESJAB4gn_g4bGxzbO3Ssesn7Nrmia9XzeakFyHGlKEfjg4Vu-MJBoCUL7w_wcB"]http://www.gak.co.uk...u-MJBoCUL7w_wcB[/url]

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1436287047' post='2816768']
If you want a hardware unit, then the Alesis SR-16 is an excellent bet. It was in production for an astonishing 13 years, and is readily available second hand. Cheaper still is the little Boss DR-550, which is slightly less featured than the Alesis but even simpler to program (I personally prefer the sounds on the Boss as well).
[/quote]

+1 more for these units - had both at one time or another. The Boss had better sound samples IMHO but the SR16 was a great bit of kit and a doddle to use.

Edited by leftybassman392

I used to be in a goth band that used a Zoom Rt123 - unfortunately it left with the other bits of the band! :D Shame as its a nice machine. I am being somewhat disgruntled about buying a zoom just because of that, which is silly, but hey..

Currently i am fiddling with loading loops from looperman into Mixx, which is still driving me nuts, but is less irritating than trying to make my own 'beats'! I'm seriously considering a Korg beatboy, but am also trying not to spend money!

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1436772564' post='2820506']
I've got an sr16 and I find programming it a lot of pain (i'm actually a programmer by day)
I'd recommend hydrogen
[/quote]

Back when I used my SR-16 a lot I used graph paper to write out the patterns, if I was using step programming.

Maybe a bit overkill/ pricey for what you want, but incase you see one cheap
The Roland boss dr880 is da bomb.
here is about as much as i know on it, maybe helpfull...
I have been through ez drummer and other software drums although a while ago now,
i will have to have a look at some now as i know they have got alot better, but IMHO in terms of sound quality, then, they were not a patch on the dr880, you just got so much more with it
The sound samples in the dr880 are huge and are real studio quality with nothing added these samples are as good and the same as the later Roland td kits, I have the td12 updated kit and the sounds in the Dr 880 are as good. You really can't tell the difference between this and a real kit,
Usability and programming is very good, songs don't feel like loops, loads of options here.
You can also put your bass through it or guitar for some great preamps and effects, I use the power bass patch on every track, if you like funk it ads punch to the track with out it being muddy,
Of all the 500 preset loops there is also a bass track with different styles and sounds you can play as well,
so if say your Latin is not upto scratch this then is a great learning tool,
You can also add these bass sounds and styles in your drum tracks in different keys to suit your song,
In the end it becomes so intuative that you can't be with out it, I would be lost with out mine and if it broke I would replace tomorow, Some may say a tad expensive at 450ish but it still selling like hot cakes tells you a lot, and I think it's worth every penny, you can check them out on YouTube and I know dawsons have them in, worth a look at least,

quick demo...
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJWfNxImK08"]https://www.youtube....h?v=vJWfNxImK08[/url]

review...
[url="http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DR880"]http://www.sweetwate...re/detail/DR880[/url]

manual and info..
[url="http://roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=DR-880"]http://roland.com/su...anuals&p=DR-880[/url]

[u]Down sides and poss future upgrades.....[/u]

While you can separate the the drums to 4 individual outputs say bass drum master L, snare master R , hihat + congas and othes to individual A+B outs, and even then your guitar or bass to headphones out, i would like to see 8 individual outs to save all the drums on seperate tracks on my recorder.like what they did on the TD20 drum kit brain. This is one area where software drums win, and roland for the future i think should address this to keep up.

[u]memory[/u] ,,,
I have done 15 songs stored in the memory all ranging from 4 to 6 mins long, now it will store loads of songs but what sucks the memory up is you taking 1 of the 500 preset loops for say a verse and if you adapt it and save it as a user patch ( you can save up to 500 of these,,,,, the manual will tell you !!!) im up to 200 and i am now out of memory,
so i would like to see a larger memory.

Now thinking i have to save the songs, you can but the songs are not what is sucking the memory, its the adapted patches ( the songs are construced from a mixture of these adapted patches and whats in the pre set ones) so if you save the song but then get rid of a load of your user adapted patches, then when you play the song it will have holes in it where you have deleted parts to save memory, ,, if all that makes sence.
when you do a midi memory bulk dump or back up it does not save the adapted patches.

the only way you can save the songs is play them as midi out and save them in you seq on say cubase as midi,
at least when played back through the dr880 its still the same patterns but may not be in cubase because of differing midi drum maps
so..
a flash memory card here would be perfect to save all the user patches to sets of say 200 with the songs as well, as a connected job lot then at least i could save songs in banks of say 15 with the right patches,then just delete the memory on 880 and start again.

I know you can use any software drum map and score say from cubase to control it, but i would like to see its own dedicated software to make editing even easier, and also with a drum score option to print out the drum score
which is standard in the pro market now and also very handy as part of saving your songs history, and great to give drummers who can read to play live, or for studio time pre send them the score, it saves so much time,

if the next version had these options as well as say downloadable drum samples update, it would be the perfect drum machine forever,

Edited by funkgod