Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jazz with P neck - and P with Jazz neck?

discreet

Here's a thing - I have GAS for that Jazz bass sound, but I don't want to make my oft-repeated mistake of buying a Jazz only to move it on because I don't get on with the neck.

So... As an experiment I'm thinking of buying a Squier P and a Squier J and swapping the necks to see if I get on with a Jazz with a P neck.

If successful, do you think anyone would be interested in the remaining P with a Jazz neck? And can you see any problems or pitfalls with this ruse? Has anyone tried it? :)

For some while my main gigging bass was a 90s MIJ Fender Precision with a Mighty Mite Jazz neck on it. Most lovely and, for me, the best combination.

If your Precision neck donor bass happened to be a Matt Freeman in black and the Jazz neck so happened to be maple (and the whole thing came in under 9lbs...) I know someone who might be interested... :ph34r:

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1435930291' post='2813738']
If your Precision neck donor bass happened to be a Matt Freeman in black and the Jazz neck so happened to be maple (and the whole thing came in under 9lbs...) I know someone who might be interested... :ph34r:
[/quote]

I'll certainly bear that in mind. ;)

As an avid P-bass player who likes the Jazz sound, this makes perfect sense to me. I`m pretty sure I`d bond better withn a Jazz that had a Precision neck on it. Not that I find a Jazz neck too difficult to play mind, it just feels like a bit of a toy after a solid chunky bat-sized Precision.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1435936205' post='2813817']
Quite a few different Jazz neck profiles over the years and even on the current models. What is it that's so different about the Jazz versus P neck?
[/quote]
Width of the nut.
I'm the opposite, I prefer the Jazz neck. I have a P-body with a Squier VM Jazz neck already though :)

I too prefer Jazz necks. Ive used my Squier CV jazz neck on almost all my 4 string basses since i got it. Its a neck i wouldn't part with. I even have a maple Lakland JO neck on my CV Jazz so i can use the Jazz neck on my CV P (everybody keeping up lol).

What i love about the CV necks is the fret size. I love those small frets (the JO neck also has them).

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1435938320' post='2813848']
But would you be happy with the Jazz shape body? What about a P neck and P body with Jazz pups?
[/quote]

Well that's it, I don't particularly like the offset body, either! :) I've been trying to find a Precision body with routing for Jazz pups, but I can't find one in the UK and am reluctant to buy a US one, what with the delivery cost and customs duty shenanigans. I suppose I could get someone here to rout a P body for me. In which case I'd probably go for no pickguard and rear-routed control cavity.

I also have a Michalik BP-4 active circuit (TonePump) from when I was involved in Spector Shenanigans, that would be very interesting... I could get my twin-pickup and active-bass GAS sorted in a P-Bass-shaped solution! :)

I'd also like twin-coil J pickups, which I suppose begs the question, 'why don't you just buy an active G&L M2000 with twin humbuckers - it's got a P-type neck, you don't have to mess about, and it'll be cheaper..?' It's a very good question.

Edited by discreet

Tim Commerford from RATM played a jazz with a P neck to great effect after he ditched the 1st albums Stingray.
I had one myself once too. I put a MIJ 62ri P neck on an American standard Jazz which was ace. (Fender original P pup added too btw).
It's here on this vid of me and a couple of mates having a jam (if your interested that is!)
http://youtu.be/f-DFf1jH7zQ

My mate's got a Westfield J bass that came stock with a P width neck that is actually a really nice sounding bass.
There's a used one here for 80 quid if you fancy a look-see:
http://www.musicalcircus.co.uk/stock/bassguitars/othermakes/westfield_jazz.html

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1435940555' post='2813871']
There's a used one here for 80 quid if you fancy a look-see:
http://www.musicalcircus.co.uk/stock/bassguitars/othermakes/westfield_jazz.html
[/quote]

That's interesting, thanks. :) But psychologically I can only cope with owning one black bass at a time... ;)

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1435941665' post='2813884']
I bet the tort-on-black didn't help much either! :D ;)
[/quote]

Haha! :D No, it did not... I'll listen to that vid later, I'm on my crappy tablet atm.

Edited by discreet

Im currently in the process of sorting out a jazz necked P as I dont get on with P necks :D i bought a Jap Squier P for £54 with the bentest neck known to mankind, i reckon i could chuck it and it would come back its that bad! unfortunately the jazz neck i already had is too small in the heel department :( so ive just bought another neck off fleabay.

Edited by DarkHeart

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1435945159' post='2813919']
Mark, my Squier CV P neck is sitting in a cupboard at the moment. You are welcome to borrow the neck for a bit if you can find a body for it.
[/quote]

That's very kind of you Dave, I may well take you up on that - thanks very much. :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1435945159' post='2813919']
Mark, my Squier CV P neck is sitting in a cupboard at the moment. You are welcome to borrow the neck for a bit if you can find a body for it.
[/quote] You could buy my jazz fretless at £140, sell the neck...use the nice body, body has fender pick ups in too....what's not to like :)

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1435949701' post='2813988']
You could buy my jazz fretless at £140, sell the neck...use the nice body, body has fender pick ups in too....what's not to like :)
[/quote]

Thanks very much for the heads-up, but I think I'm going to have to insist on a white (or white-ish) bass! I've already done the sunburst Jazz thing and I didn't like it too much to be honest. Yes, I'm shallow. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435939146' post='2813853']
'why don't you just buy an active G&L M2000 with twin humbuckers - it's got a P-type neck, you don't have to mess about, and it'll be cheaper..?' It's a very good question.
[/quote]

Because it's got bumhuckers and not jazzers. Thought you was wanting pups jazz-wise?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1435951430' post='2814002']
Because it's got bumhuckers and not jazzers. Thought you was wanting pups jazz-wise?
[/quote]

The important thing is that it's a twin-pup with a P-width neck. But yes, I do like the J-pup sound. But I believe you can get J-type pups that are twin coils.

An active eq isn't absolutely essential, though I did find the sweepable mid on my V7 Jazz very useful.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1435952151' post='2814006']
See if I can find a pic. [url="https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2674/3701704693_afb149ab04_o_d.jpg."]https://farm3.static...49ab04_o_d.jpg.[/url]
[/quote]

I can't seem to see this pic for some reason? :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435930083' post='2813731']
Here's a thing - I have GAS for that Jazz bass sound, but I don't want to make my oft-repeated mistake of buying a Jazz only to move it on because I don't get on with the neck.

So... As an experiment I'm thinking of buying a Squier P and a Squier J and swapping the necks to see if I get on with a Jazz with a P neck.

If successful, do you think anyone would be interested in the remaining P with a Jazz neck? And can you see any problems or pitfalls with this ruse? Has anyone tried it? :)
[/quote]

I have the same affliction! I have owned more Jazz basses than any other type because I love the sound and the look, but I *hate* that thin neck.

Fortunately, it seems that there are a LOT of people who prefer slim necks, so a P with a Jazz neck should be quite attractive for those who don't buy a P because of the neck (I heard a few people claiming not to own a Precision because of the thick neck).