Why become a member? ×

Barefaced and a Valve amp. But which one??

FuNkShUi

Playing through my retro 210 in a recording session with my Aguilar TH as normal.
Sound is great. Really really happy with it.
It's our friends studio and he hadn't heard a barefaced before and he loved it, but suggested I tried one of his amps, just to see how it sounded.
It was a Trace Elliot valve amp of some kind. I think it was the hexavalve. The sound was something else. Incredible.
Now I won't have enough to buy one of these. I think he said he paid £800 second hand.
But what options are there for around £500? Are there any??
Anyone here play their barefaced with a valve amp?

Try an e-Bay search for '100W valve amp'. Any decent valve amp will be suitable for bass, even something that looks like a PA amp. Don't be concerned that 100W won't be enough power - 100 valve watts is WAY louder than 100 solid state watts and will very easily keep up in a loud rock band with power to spare. I reckon you can pick up something very usable indeed for around £350-£400.

Or you may consider a Peavey Valveking II or one of the Bugera models if you want to buy new.

Be aware that valve amps need maintaining. They also need transporting and are generally heavy. But as you have discovered, the downsides can be well worth it if you haven't already had a hernia! ;) There's nothing like the 'All-Valve Bounce'.

Edited by discreet

Yeh I'm happy to buy second hand, I know I'll get more for my money that way.
I hopefully will find something I can try out before buying, but that's not a necessity (?)
Never even seen a Burman other than on here, but I'd take a look for sure!
Yeh I did think about the Ashdowns.
Any other Barefaced with valve users out there?

I've been scouting all the big name hitters in the "valve world", and I think if money was no object I like the look of the matamp stuff.

Discreet, is it this the Burman you mean? :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burman-SL100-slave-power-amplifier-and-MPA-PA-pre-amp-with-added-guitar-channel-/201351375464?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ee17a2a68

I'm in south Wales so I could potentially visit this gent and have a play

I didn't know sadowsky did valve amps. Bet they're a bit rare!

Yes, that's the one. I believe the seller is one Mr Foxen, late of this parish, so you'll be getting a properly-serviced and maintained rig. Here's my original NAD on BC - it's not 70kg's worth, by the way - weighing error - more like 35kg. Which is still more than enough, imo! :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227325-nad-burman-mpa-sl100-powerpak/"]http://basschat.co.u...sl100-powerpak/[/url]

His price is pretty strong, but it's worth it to get one you don't have to spend money on - some of them turn up in less-than great condition, which is understandable given their age. But they're hand-wired by Greg Burman himself and you won't get better quality. He was going to use Partridge transformers (considered to be the best) but rejected them and had new ones wound to his own specification. That's the level of quality you're looking at. If I had a spare £550 knocking around right now I'd be on that like a fatty on a Gregg's Steak Bake at a WeightWatcher's meeting. :)

For a slightly easier haul, I'm thinking about maybe sourcing just the power amp part of the deal (the PowerPak) and using something like a VT Bass on the front of it - some of the 'All-Valve Bounce' has to do with the valve power section. But if you're OK with carrying what essentially amounts to two amps, I think it is very worth getting the Burman pre-amp box too. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1434282517' post='2798249']
I don't think I'll be able to get the money before the auction ends. I will look into it!!
[/quote]

Would be worth making the effort for. They don't come up that often and you won't get better quality.
Burman make Ampeg SVTs look like they're made in the far east! ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1434828488' post='2803192']
Valve pre and solid state power amp? Cheaper/lighter. Pre is mostly responsible for the tone.
[/quote]

I would respectfully challenge that statement... I believe you need a valve pre and a valve power stage to get the 'all-valve bounce'. I've tried various valve-pre/SS power options over the years and they don't cut it. IMHO, of course. :)

You'll not go far wrong with a Trace Elliot Twin Valve head. Same flavour as a quattra / hexa but in a smaller, lighter, cheaper and less powerful package. The power issue is moot really as these have plenty of 'go' in them despite their modest rating. Through a BF cab, it'll be even less of an issue I'd expect. My combo version is more than loud enough for every situation I've ever used it and that houses an 'normal' spec 20 year old Celestion speaker.

They come up in the classifieds every now and then for around £300, well within your budget and the same mojo as it's larger siblings. :lol:

• 1 year later...

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1434270956' post='2798104']
Yeh I'm happy to buy second hand, I know I'll get more for my money that way.
I hopefully will find something I can try out before buying, but that's not a necessity (?)
Never even seen a Burman other than on here, but I'd take a look for sure!
Yeh I did think about the Ashdowns.
Any other Barefaced with valve users out there?
[/quote]

BF Super 12 and Trace Hexavalve user here. The sound is all I've ever wished for, oodles of power and rich tones. I do ocassionaly use one of my 250 SMX heads instead, but the BF is a constant. To be fair the SMX also sounds great but I am a little biased :-)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434271933' post='2798113']
If you can find a Burman then buy it. I had the same gear as Bigwan and I deeply regret selling it. I believe there is currently one on eBay. Hand-wired, top components, uncompromising build quality and reliability.
[/quote]

You'll have to outbid Mr Foxen on Burman's. He's currently stockpiling them for when they become collectable. :lol: