Why become a member? ×

Barefaced and a Valve amp. But which one??

FuNkShUi

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1434828488' post='2803192']
Valve pre and solid state power amp? Cheaper/lighter. Pre is mostly responsible for the tone.
[/quote]

Valve preamp characteristics are easy to emulate with solid state circuitry. The valve power amp OTOH has nuances that are hard to replicate exactly.

I doubt that most people could pick out a real valve preamp from the best rated SS drive pedals such as darkglass and sansamp in a blind test. TBH these days a real valve preamp in hybrid amp is nothing more than a fashion choice, and indeed the SS drive circuits have the advantage that they can replicate at least some of the power amp characteristics so are actually likely to sound better than a valve preamp alone.

Edited by bassman7755

[size=4][font="Calibri"][color="#000000"]Markbass TTE range sound great and combine old style tones with new technology. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font="Calibri"][color="#000000"]Being lightweight too is an added bonus. [/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1434828488' post='2803192']
Valve pre and solid state power amp? Cheaper/lighter. Pre is mostly responsible for the tone.
[/quote]

Oh no it's not. The valve power stage is what makes all the difference.

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1468236717' post='3089415']
Marshall VBA400 in the sale section. Worth a look I think.
[/quote]

Another vote for this, these are great amps:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/280897-marshall-vba-slight-price-drop-now-l535/

Ladies and Gentlemen, choose your weapons:

Amps: Marshall VBA 400, Sound City 120, Peavey Firebass 700, Peavey Tour 700.
Cabs : Barefaced Big One, Barefaced Dubster, BFM Omni 15 and Shermann Audio 15/6/1 (think Fearful 15/6/1) (common denominator Eminence 3015LF) and finally an old school Marshall 2x15 DBS7215

[b] [color=#222222]What was your choice? Having had all the above in my possession nearly all at once (don't ask), the Tour 700 is my first choice with all the above cabs. The VBA 400 was loudest by a long way, immense amounts of bass, The Sound City a closest second (these are obviously subjective). The key deciding factor for me was the 'tightness' / 'control' / 'woolliness' of the bass. With all the cabs above the solid state amps were much more to my taste. [/color][/b]

I am not saying solid state is better than valves, far from it, what I would say is you must comprehensively try before you buy. Most valve amps are not cheap these days (unless you get lucky - my Sound City was and I still haveit ) and the market is harsh.

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1468394925' post='3090581']
Out of the above id go either Marshall or SC120 amps, cabwise it would have to be the marshall. Barefaced just don't do anything for me, never tried a BFM or Shermann
[/quote]

The marshall cab was built like the proverbial outhouse, the weight of them is something else. It would survive heavy touring :)