Why become a member? ×

What bass can you not be without.

jonnythenotes

The bass I could not be without would be the one that I am currently using and I don't mean the Yamaha BB1025, literally whatever bass I am using at the time. I've had well over 100 and used to buy and sell just cos I fancied changing and trying something else.

I happened to need a 5 string with the current band so bought a nice cheap Yamaha BB425 but it was so good it became my main instrument to the extent that I bought a BB1025. I won't get to use it until next weekend though which is a pain but it means that I have time to modify my Boss AB-2 to run on mains power so that I can pick up the BB425 in an emergency

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1434029633' post='2796090']
A bit of fun here... I bought my Trace Elliot T bass in 1996, and its still with me now. I have had so much gear come and go over the years, basses, amps, cabs, pedals, you name it, and at some stage I have had it, but this bass is still with me. It's not the best, or most expensive I have ever had, but it is the one that means the most to me, has been all over the country with me, and has got a sound to it that none of my others has, or is capable of reproducing. Sometimes in doesn't see the light of day for months on end, but when it does come out, it's like seeing an old buddy again. It weighs a ton, has got a few clunks on it, it's pretty old school now after 20 years compared to what's out there now.. But with that age comes its own unique voice.... Anyway what's your old faithful, and why.... ( Selling a bass and buying it back again gets you extra points..)
[/quote]
I was reading a review of those T-basses over on the statii site... nothing remarkable in a review of what is a well regarded bass.... at the end it's got the pull out box showing the other things available at similar prices - typical stingray, a fender jazz and then a Wal 4 string for £1400.... even allowing for inflation Wals are more expensive secondhand now than they were new then!!
Anyway I digress....

My Warwick Streamer Stage 1
i got it for a silly low price. And played it lots - didn't like the sound... stuck barts in, .. played it loads - went through a phase where I think I had it up for sale more than I didn't. Was still playing it a lot...
I'm particularly grateful for Flanker for telling me I was daft and to keep it when I offered it to him in exchange for a Nash jazz bass. :)

moved to leeds and had the boys and Alpher do an absolutely beasting fret job on it (they know what they are doing) and stuck ACG preamp in....

and it sounds and plays great now. And... I could spend hundreds on a bass, go the full custom route or whatever - but I don't think I could improve on my Streamer. It's well played and sounds great.
(might try some different pups sometime)

My sadly departed brothers old bass. Its strung left handed, I'm a righty, it's battered to hell. Is a no name (possibly custom) and obviously home upgraded. So its utterly unplayable, but I'll always treasure it. Its only when he got ill that I started playing bas again.

My 2004 MIM Precision. In reality, all that is left of the original is the body, bridge, and the pickguard screws. It wears an American Special Jazz neck and a USA 1994 pickup, mounted on a BWB guard. Plays so easily, sounds amazing!

I keep a detailed list of all the basses I've owned over the last 40 years of playing (jeez, is it really [i]that[/i] long??) and I'm amazed/ashamed to admit it's just hit triple figures... not showing off, as I clearly have a bit of an issue with buying instruments, but despite being a complete bass tart, one that's stuck with me is an early Lakland DJ5 I picked up second hand about 5 years ago. It was comfy, played beautifully, and everything was in the right place, so I fitted a John East J-Retro and Delano pickups, and it's just fabulous. I still continue to buy basses and move them on, but keeping and going back to one bass for this long is exceptional, for me anyway!

The one I wish I still had is this - I sold to a guy called Phil Winter in 1985. If anyone knows him or its whereabouts, please do let me know! :)

[URL=http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/lowwregisterhead/media/WhitePEBStingray2_zpsfdx9ybah.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n588/lowwregisterhead/WhitePEBStingray2_zpsfdx9ybah.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434186325' post='2797380']
I'd want that back, too. Is that a Wal pickup?
[/quote]

No, it's the original MM pickup, only I had the scratchplate removed and a surrounding ring made out of mirror arylic fitted when it was refinished from its original sunburst.

When I found the bass in a run down music shop in Edinburgh in 1981, the original bridge was way out of alignment and it was virtually unplayable. To this day I don't know how it found its way out of the Musicman factory and over here in that condition - the neck, body and pocket were all fine, just the bridge was about 5mm south of where it should have been. The shop owner wanted rid of it, so he let me have it for £250 IIRC. As part of the refinish, I had a Schaller bridge and a brass nut fitted. It was an amazing bass, but I couldn't pay the rent one month, and I had to let it go. I regret it to this day! :(

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1434189387' post='2797425']
No, it's the original MM pickup, only I had the scratchplate removed and a surrounding ring made out of mirror acrylic fitted when it was refinished from its original sunburst.
[/quote]

Ahh... it looks fantastic!

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1434189387' post='2797425']
It was an amazing bass, but I couldn't pay the rent one month, and I had to let it go. I regret it to this day! :(
[/quote]

Choices, choices... some are inconsequential, yet others resonate through the years...

Just thinking, a Ray with a Wal pickup?? That would be something. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434189630' post='2797431']
Ahh... it looks fantastic!

Choices, choices... some are inconsequential, yet others resonate through the years...

Just thinking, a Ray with a Wal pickup?? That would be something. :)
[/quote]

It could well be, if you could find a Wal pickup. Wal certainly won't sell them separately!

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1434189949' post='2797436']
It could well be, if you could find a Wal pickup. Wal certainly won't sell them separately!
[/quote]

Yes I know... only yesterday I was reading a thread somewhere about the possibility of making a clone... very interesting. I'm sure I've got a link to it somewhere... *rummages around* ...er, I think this is it...

[url="http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15437/"]http://music-electro...rum.com/t15437/[/url]

Looks like each string has two single-coil pickups contra-wound on separate bobbins to essentially create a humbucker for each string. No wonder Wal basses sound good. Though I think it has a lot to do with the tone circuit, too.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434190344' post='2797446']
Yes I know... only yesterday I was reading a thread somewhere about the possibility of making a clone... very interesting. I'm sure I've got a link to it somewhere... *rummages around* ...er, I think this is it...

[url="http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15437/"]http://music-electro...rum.com/t15437/[/url]

Looks like each string has two single-coil pickups contra-wound on separate bobbins to essentially create a humbucker for each string. No wonder Wal basses sound good. Though I think it has a lot to do with the tone circuit, too.
[/quote]

Looks complicated, but that's one way to preserve the electronics from being copied wholesale, I suppose. There was a Wal on eBay a while back that had been butchered and the pickups and circuitry and pickups replaced. If you're going to do that, why buy a Wal??

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1434184828' post='2797369']
I keep a detailed list of all the basses I've owned over the last 40 years of playing[/quote]
I've done similar (well what is an Excel spreadsheet actually for?!) and it numbers 32 basses since 1977.

Mine would be my 1973/74 Fender Jazz that I had from the original owner in the very early 80s. Obviously, with it being the early 80s, the first thing I did was remove the original (perfectly fine) p/ups and get EMGs fitted.

Good job I didn't just throw the original p/ups away.

Oh..

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1434233092' post='2797900']
I think I remember that bass Mr Riva..... Was it a sunburst with a dark wood fretboard..?
[/quote]
It was/is.. block inlays and all the chrome covers... until my mum threw them away a few years ago along with the original thumb rest!

Still not a patch on that red Fender you had - one of my all time favourite basses, that, Mr Notes.