Why become a member? ×

Wanted - Your Opinions on Laklands

bassfan

Guys,

Not sure this is in the right forum.

Having never owned a Lakland or played one I would like some opinions.

I am interested specifically in a Lakland 4-94.

Does anyone own one? if so is the sound very unique or very similar to a Jazz? Would it replace a Jazz or compliament it (60's/70's popish type stuff....) ?

I have never seen one for sale on here...

I have 2 cracking basses but could always have room for one more.

Talk to me people!

:)

Great basses they are - have only owned the Skyline versions myself, a Daryl Jones and a Bob Glaug and they are both excellent. The US models are particulary highly rated - no doubt there will be a few owners along soon to give you more info

P

I've just acquired a 55-02 (same pickups/preamp as the 55-94) and have been giving it a good thrashing the last few days.

I would say it can sound quite similar to a Jazz, more in a Marcus Miller type sound than your typical Jazz sound though. The coil tap allows you to select single coil mode in the humbucker which makes it sound extremely convincing. To replace a Jazz ? No, but to compliment it ? Certainly.

The Lakland can do a reasonable impression of a Stingray too, albeit less aggressive and a little more polite.

I have a 44-02 which is the Skyline version of the 4-94 - same pickups and pre-amp.

This youtube link gives you a fair idea of the sound and versatility. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd7r0PdVnU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd7r0PdVnU[/url]

As far as quality, all Laklands are superb.

Overall, Laklands ROCK!

I've a Joe Osborne Skyline 4 that keeps gravitating to 1st bass status no matter what else arrives in my possession! I've played all the Lakland models except the DJs. They all ROCK in equal measure. I will own more some day, but I'm slowly coming to the realisation that I'm a Jazz bass guy, so it'll be a JO5 or maybe DJ5 for me...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='270759' date='Aug 27 2008, 08:57 AM']go on the website, they have a fantastic range of sound samples for their basses[/quote]

Have to agree with that - It's the most useful bass manufacturers site I’ve seen....

P

I have two Laklands. A 55-01 and a Duck Dunn.
I hadn't heard of Lakland until i went shopping for a 5 string a couple of years ago but once i played a few i was hooked.
As others have said, these basses are very well made, be it the Skylines or the USA ones. I dont think i have read anything bad about them (other than something i wrote a few months ago ;-) but even that wasn't really a big deal.
Best necks ive ever played FWIW.
I actually find my 55-01 to be the lightest Bass i have played (ok, thats not many but its still lighter than my DD and even my Jazz)

If you look over on TalkBass there are at least 5 1000 post threads about Laklands (and a few smaller ones)
This is the first
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310869"]Lakland Owners Group, thread 1.[/url]

This is now my main Bass.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='ste_m3' post='270768' date='Aug 27 2008, 09:11 AM']I had a 55-01 DLX and really loved it but it was just so damned HEAVY! definately something to watch out for![/quote]

Just to even out this thread a bit. Regarding Skylines:
The weight is definately something to watch for, the DJ5 I had was ok at ~10lbs and nicely balanced. The Bob Glaub on the other hand was a bit over 9.5lbs and not balanced so well - I I only kept for about a week and was glad to go back to my MIA P bass.

The positives for me on Lakkys were mainly the sound but for build quality, I prefer the MM's I've had (and Ironically the MIA P bass I currently have) tho TBH this only was with respect to minor paint imperfections and (against the MM) hardware - this is just a personal opinion tho. As with anything try them out and see what you think.

Gotta be honest tho, I would love a go on a US JO4.

Edited by martthebass

I've got a Lakland 44-02 Deluxe (Skyline)

I know that it's an awesome bass, very easy to play, but it hasn't really got a place in my stable at the moment, so I'm thinking about moving it on (if anyone is interested). I'm just waiting for my Jazz build to be finished!

Eye Candy:
[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url]

Si

Edited by Sibob

Some of you may have seen this bass before - its a US JO underneath with an East Retro pre, and its absolutely brilliant! I gig with it all the time, it has neck leds, and with the Sims paint job a la Clapton it never fails to get noticed and praised. I havent touched my Pedullas since I got it.

[attachment=12756:My_babies__003.jpg]

[quote name='bobpalt' post='272831' date='Aug 29 2008, 09:06 PM']Some of you may have seen this bass before - its a US JO underneath with an East Retro pre, and its absolutely brilliant! I gig with it all the time, it has neck leds, and with the Sims paint job a la Clapton it never fails to get noticed and praised. I havent touched my Pedullas since I got it.[/quote]

Looks awesome.

My 2 penith on Lakland I think they are amazing unfortanatly out of my price range.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='270796' date='Aug 27 2008, 09:50 AM']I have two Laklands. A 55-01 and a Duck Dunn.
I hadn't heard of Lakland until i went shopping for a 5 string a couple of years ago but once i played a few i was hooked.
As others have said, these basses are very well made, be it the Skylines or the USA ones. I dont think i have read anything bad about them (other than something i wrote a few months ago ;-) but even that wasn't really a big deal.
Best necks ive ever played FWIW.
I actually find my 55-01 to be the lightest Bass i have played (ok, thats not many but its still lighter than my DD and even my Jazz)

If you look over on TalkBass there are at least 5 1000 post threads about Laklands (and a few smaller ones)
This is the first
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310869"]Lakland Owners Group, thread 1.[/url]

This is now my main Bass.

[/quote]

Crikey, you've got a big house ;0)