Why become a member? ×

Carol Kaye: my 10 greatest recordings of all time

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1433690635' post='2793119']
Witchita Lineman?????? ewww!
[/quote]
[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1433695736' post='2793160']
It's an absolutely fantastic song and performance by all concerned - in my opinion (and Carol's)
[/quote]
+1!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1433695736' post='2793160']
It's an absolutely fantastic song and performance by all concerned - in my opinion (and Carol's)
[/quote]

Nope. Just listened to it again and (in my opinion) it's absolute pants. Not a single redeeming feature.... and deserves an entry into the 'crap lyrics' thread for the bit about needing a small vacation - but it sure looks like rain - and if it snows the line down south will never stand the strain. Turgid.

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1433699939' post='2793207']

Nope. Just listened to it again and (in my opinion) it's absolute pants. Not a single redeeming feature.... and deserves an entry into the 'crap lyrics' thread for the bit about needing a small vacation - but it sure looks like rain - and if it snows the line down south will never stand the strain. Turgid.
[/quote]

No redeeming feature? String arrangement (Morse code motif at the turnaround, and the sweeping lines at the end are both glorious. The songwriting, ok, you didn't like a line, but the scanning of "but I need you more than want you, & I want you for all time" is, IMO, near to songwriting perfection. But, of course, each to their own :-)

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1433699939' post='2793207']
[/quote]
I don't know what sort of lyrics you would expect from a song about a lineman who was in Witchita, but they seem perfectly reasonable to me, they even rhyme! Gotta love the twangy (baritone?) guitar that sounds like it was played through a transistor radio, and a nice drum groove in the playout.

The only song on CK's list that I like (and own) is Feelin Alright. A fantastic record and I was surprised to find out it was CK on bass.

The rest are not to my taste at all, but that doesn't stop them being excellent songs and recordings and great performances.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1433700827' post='2793220']
No redeeming feature? String arrangement (Morse code motif at the turnaround, and the sweeping lines at the end are both glorious.
[/quote]

Agreed.
The arranging is top notch.
Lush string themes, subtle low horn lines. It's all there.
I think it's a great tune.

Great article,thanks for posting.
Wichita Lineman is still one of my favourites songs. We do it occasionally in my band and
the audience love it too. IMO Jiimmy Webb wrote some killer tunes. He toured here recently
but unfortunately I couldn't get to see him. Like Burt Bacharach he's not considered a great singer but
nevertheless can just make his songs 'happen' in concert. Jimmy's songs and Glen Campbell's voice
for me remains a classic combination.

Edited by casapete