Why become a member? ×

Lifting your bass cab off the floor

FuNkShUi

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1432734630' post='2784390']
Generally it's a bad idea.
[/quote]

Saying that I've played at rehearsals with my super compact raised onto an 8x10 and found it hadn't made a blind bit of difference, except having it at a lower volume. I still bumped the low EQ up a bit, but when it was on the floor I would turn it up more.

Although I have two now and its so huge A sound.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1432805862' post='2785089']
Saying that I've played at rehearsals with my super compact raised onto an 8x10 and found it hadn't made a blind bit of difference, except having it at a lower volume. I still bumped the low EQ up a bit, but when it was on the floor I would turn it up more.
[/quote]

Err. . . . doesn't that count as a difference?

Anyway, now you have 2 so everything that went before is erased.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1432764927' post='2784861']
I am aware that this flies in the face of everything that we are told is correct but it gives me a sound that I really like so that's all that matters to me.
[/quote]

Tsk. And you stole my bass! (Assuming it's a 425 and not 1025.)

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1432811830' post='2785177'] It is indeed a 425 - do you have one? Would still be rediculously good at twice the price. Anyway that's for another thread [/quote]

Yep, and it's white too! </hijack>

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1432736215' post='2784412']
The same applies to the distance to the wall behind the cab. Placing the front of the cab more than 2 feet from the wall will not only reduce boundary reinforcement off the wall, it will cause a response dip. [/quote]

Is this a useful rule for front-ported cabs as well or more so for rear-ports?

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1432816905' post='2785245']
Is this a useful rule for front-ported cabs as well or more so for rear-ports?
[/quote]The port location doesn't matter. The boom frequencies tend to be centered in the 100-160Hz range, port output tends to be centered around 50-60Hz. From the standpoint of boundary loading off the wall that requires the source be less than 1/4 wavelength distant. 1/4 wavelength at 60Hz is 4.7 feet. Wnen it's exactly 1/4 wavelength theres a cancellation notch. For instance, having the cab front 2.3 feet from the rear wall would notch the response around 120Hz, while below that would be unaffected, be it front or rear ported.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1432822193' post='2785304']
The port location doesn't matter. The boom frequencies tend to be centered in the 100-160Hz range, port output tends to be centered around 50-60Hz. From the standpoint of boundary loading off the wall that requires the source be less than 1/4 wavelength distant. 1/4 wavelength at 60Hz is 4.7 feet. Wnen it's exactly 1/4 wavelength theres a cancellation notch. For instance, having the cab front 2.3 feet from the rear wall would notch the response around 120Hz, while below that would be unaffected, be it front or rear ported.
[/quote]

Thanks Bill - interesting info. Will be interesting tonight, small stage cab hard up against the back wall... Will see if the new barefaced cab works better than the old Markbass cabs I've used there previously!

I allways lift my cab/combo off the floor and avoid any kind of coupling in corners or back walls when possible. I know a lot would disagree but for me this gives me a tighter bass sound without any boominess, i can play at lower volumes because i'm hearing more of my bass and i can also hear the rest of the band a lot better (they also are thankfull for not having a wall of low-end filling their ears).

The point is, for the OP and everyone else, try it! Then choose the best setup for you. ;)

I've experimented a lot with this, trying to avoid feedback from the double bass. Lifting the BF Midget to chest height on a keyboard stand lost a lot of low end oomph. To compensate I found myself cranking up the volume to the point of distortion. Incidentally, the keyboard stand was perfectly stable, although i did use a bungee to secure it and the amp, just in case.

The problem was certainly caused by the loss of boundary reinforcement. If i was going through the PA for FOH and just using the cab to monitor, the result was acceptable, but not for full blast backline.

The alternatives of tilting the cab up with wedges of sound insulating foam or raising it less than two foot on a low table or stool, worked well. No noticeable loss of volume or tone.

Edited by fatback

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1432736215' post='2784412']
You'll start losing floor coupling at about 2.5 feet off the floor, so don't go higher than that. If it's still hard to hear tilt it back. A keyboard stand is a bit too high.
The same applies to the distance to the wall behind the cab. Placing the front of the cab more than 2 feet from the wall will not only reduce boundary reinforcement off the wall, it will cause a response dip. That can be of use on boomy stages. The correct distance from the wall can put the dip at the boom frequency, cancelling out the boom.
[/quote]
well said. I prefer keeping them on the ground but I will stack vertically when using 2 small cabs.
Bill, I would like to create a dip around 200hZ but 1/4 wave is closer than the 2 feet mentioned? Or is 200 too high to be affected by the cab/ wall relationship? Thanks!

Edited by vailbass

[quote name='tonewheels' timestamp='1433117120' post='2788061']
This is all very well but it's very subjective. Objectively, a beer crate is the ideal solution. You can't argue with science.
[/quote] does the tone change if you leave the beer in the crate? How about just empty bottles? :-)

• 5 months later...

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1432737043' post='2784421']
I am intending to stand my Big Baby 2 on top of another Big Baby 2 to get it up to a decent height :)
[/quote]

very good! :lol:

I have done that too, actually: using two cabs when the bottom one is pretty much just a glorified stand for the other.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1449052526' post='2920316']
very good! :lol:

I have done that too, actually: using two cabs when the bottom one is pretty much just a glorified stand for the other.
[/quote]

I have discovered that the best stand in the world for my little guitar combo is a 4x12" cab, as there's often one around as part of the house backline at venues. I never plug into them, but they're great amp stands!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1449053760' post='2920327']
I have discovered that the best stand in the world for my little guitar combo is a 4x12" cab, as there's often one around as part of the house backline at venues. I never plug into them, but they're great amp stands!
[/quote]

So you're getting one of those stands for the gigs where there isn't one? It'll be worth it just to see the face of the sound guys when you show up. :lol: