Why become a member? ×

Songs You Really Don't Like Playing?

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1431709101' post='2774230']
I refuse to play any 12 bar blues - how many times can you play the same riff over and over (and over again)
[/quote]

😲 I suppose it depends on the song style, but 12 bar blues can be a carte blanch to have a play around the fretboard for a bit.

Anyway, for me the song is 'How Long' by Ace. To be fair, the bassline is well suited to the song. ie very very dull

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1431717365' post='2774386']
Jewish wedding tunes. Mind numbingly tedious root fifthing.
[/quote]

Ha, Ha...yep.
On the up side, the high society gigs do pay really well.
The down side is getting a good busking dep, very few seem to know the tunes these days.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1431717365' post='2774386']
Jewish wedding tunes. Mind numbingly tedious root fifthing.
[/quote]

I've only done 1 traditional Jewish wedding and they hired a Klezmer band for the usual stuff and we did our regular covers set. They did ask us to play the Dick Dale version of Hava Nagila, which was a shame. I preferred the Klezmer version.

Went down a storm.

I'm more convinced by a song I don't fancy if we play it particularly well..
but with most set lists, I'm looking for anything bar the standard fare,
which you see pop up in so many band's sets..
Basically, I'm looking for a band with something to say, rather than a set of
'choons'..

Edited by JTUK

looking at some of the songs mentioned here, some of you guys must be in pretty strange covers bands.
I don't think I could ever play in a function band, I'd have to play songs I wouldn't normally listen too, which is a good yardstick to use I reckon, we once played a wedding gig where we were asked to play stand by me, but at least it has a great bassline

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1431768753' post='2774727']
I don't think I could ever play in a function band, I'd have to play songs I wouldn't normally listen to...
[/quote]

I had fun in a function band and believe that no previous knowledge of the material is a definite advantage!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1431768753' post='2774727']
I don't think I could ever play in a function band, I'd have to play songs I wouldn't normally listen too,
[/quote]

Whoa... take those blinkers off!!

Playing new and different stuff is a very good thing. Over the years I have played thousands of numbers that I wouldn't have normally listened to. That experience has enabled me to appreciate more music in general and many singers, songwriters and bands in particular. It's all been good, even if I never listened to that artist again.

When most people join a band they're into a world of give-and-take, and as soon as that band starts gigging seriously they're into whole new level of compromises.

If you are only prepared to play songs you like or listen to (which I'm assuming is the same thing), the only way I can see anyone doing that is to play on their own.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1431782418' post='2774943']
Whoa... take those blinkers off!!

Playing new and different stuff is a very good thing. Over the years I have played thousands of numbers that I wouldn't have normally listened to. That experience has enabled me to appreciate more music in general and many singers, songwriters and bands in particular. It's all been good, even if I never listened to that artist again.

When most people join a band they're into a world of give-and-take, and as soon as that band starts gigging seriously they're into whole new level of compromises.

If you are only prepared to play songs you like or listen to (which I'm assuming is the same thing), the only way I can see anyone doing that is to play on their own.
[/quote]or get in a band with like minded players, which I am, for instance I have no interest in doing Level 42 covers

In 9 years of playing covers, this is the song I absolutely loathed playing:

Jamiroquai: 'Love Foolosophy'

Not even a good Bernard Edwards style bass-line could redeem that song for me. Utterly horrible plastic, soul-less, funk-less rubbish in every aspect....

I was listening to Me First and the Gimme Gimme's the other day and realised - if you dont like a song play it in a different way.

For those who were posting about Jewish weddings - have a listen to MF&GG "Ruin Little Jonny's Bah Mitzvah". I even like some of the stuff on "Like Their Country" Not to everyones taste for sure, but it proves you can take anything and do it in your own style.

Brown Eyed Girl! HATE that song. Hate Van Morrison! Reasoning is as follows. In the early days of Late Night TV they stuck old concerts on to fill in the time, and usually you're too drunk to find the remote and change the channel anyway. So, this night was a Van Morrison gig. I ASSUME it was a gig, anyway: It LOOKED more like a rehearsal from the way he was performing! No eye contact with the audience, all the band standing facing him, and no movement! THIS WAS THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL!!!! People PAY to watch you play FOR THEM! If you want to play to yourself don't bother booking the RHA, just get a rehearsal room and stop insulting your fans, you stuck up bell-end!!!!!!! *wipes foam and dribble from beard*

Rant over.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1431683017' post='2773882']
We currently have Are You Gonna Go My Way (Lenny Kravitz) which I dont mind as a song but really dont like playing.
[/quote]

Love the song and love playing it.

The current band does "Shape of Things" in a Badlands Style, which I don't enjoy playing at all.

I love these "I hate XYZ song" threads.

I haven't heard of most of the numbers posted so I look, them up with interest. Some have even made it into our set list, and audiences love them.

Thank you. Keep em coming.