Why become a member? ×

Yamaha best bass on the market

[quote name='Bassistclem' timestamp='1431432965' post='2771244']
Still use a BB1100s myself. The actives no longer work but I use the bass as my 'foam dampened flat wounded thump' bass. Sounds as good as any P bass I've used for the job...
[/quote] and your old BB400 was good - which ended up with me finding my BB1200 :D (what's wrong with the actives?)
[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1433417572' post='2790870']
This is all very encouraging. I just bought a early 90s Japanese TRB5 from ebay for £460. It [b]appears[/b] to be in really good nick but won't get my hands on it until it arrives in next few days. If it's anything like as good as other Yamaha's I've owned then I'm sure I'm going to love it.
[/quote] Lucky thing - a TRB would be my choice to try as a first 5er - actually thats not the worst idea in the world....

I posted this thread 4,weeks ago when I was just getting used to my BB2024X. In that 4 weeks, I have absolutely fallen head over heels for this bass. Yes it's expensive, and for that kind of cash, you really can start being picky about a lot of super quality basses. But this is a the top of my heap at the moment. To put it in context, my 'heap' consists of a Trace Elliot 5 string T bass, Mike Lull 5 string, Wood and Tronics J4. First run Music Man Sabre...and the Yamaha, and it's the only one that's passive, yet at the moment it's getting much more use than the others..... It really is an incredible piece of kit....

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1433443776' post='2791190']
I posted this thread 4,weeks ago when I was just getting used to my BB2024X. In that 4 weeks, I have absolutely fallen head over heels for this bass. Yes it's expensive, and for that kind of cash, you really can start being picky about a lot of super quality basses. But this is a the top of my heap at the moment. To put it in context, my 'heap' consists of a Trace Elliot 5 string T bass, Mike Lull 5 string, Wood and Tronics J4. First run Music Man Sabre...and the Yamaha, and it's the only one that's passive, yet at the moment it's getting much more use than the others..... It really is an incredible piece of kit....
[/quote]

Cool. I can't stop looking at these... Did you buy it new, if so, where from?

I bought it new last year from PMT in Birmingham..... I paid £980 for it. It had been hanging around in the shop for two years... They had forgotten to put it on there web site and never noticed... Know one new it was there, and over time, as the lack of perceived interest continued, they kept lowering the price on it, thinking they had a lemon on their hands..when I first realised it was there, and what it was, the deal was done in 2 minutes..... The original price they had it up for when they got it was £2300. It was literally pushed to the back of the shop, believe it or not with a BB2025X (again not on the web site) which was marked up £1200... (negotiable) I went back a couple of weeks later and the 2025X was sold, awaiting collection. Luckiest bass buy of my life...

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1433446447' post='2791211']
I bought it new last year from PMT in Birmingham..... I paid £980 for it. It had been hanging around in the shop for two years... They had forgotten to put it on there web site and never noticed... Know one new it was there, and over time, as the lack of perceived interest continued, they kept lowering the price on it, thinking they had a lemon on their hands..when I first realised it was there, and what it was, the deal was done in 2 minutes..... The original price they had it up for when they got it was £2300. It was literally pushed to the back of the shop, believe it or not with a BB2025X (again not on the web site) which was marked up £1200... (negotiable) I went back a couple of weeks later and the 2025X was sold, awaiting collection. Luckiest bass buy of my life...
[/quote]

I've just turned green reading that! Cracking find. I might give them a bell and ask them to check the back of the stock room again!

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1433441690' post='2791159']

I think Yamaha started making basses in 1961 and the Samurai series were certainly not copies of anything that ever came out of Fullerton.
[/quote]

You're quite right. I got the date wrong. If you look at the history of their motorcycles, Yamaha launched their first, a copy of a German motorcycle, in 1961.

And you're right about the basses. There are no similarities at all between a Yamaha an a Fender

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com//images/features/bass-week/cool-classic/cool-and-classic-basses/yamaha-ab-cutout-460-85.jpg

[/quote]

Wow, what a stroke of luck. A 2024x is still on my hit list, but for now my early 80s BB3000 fills that void perfectly. In fact, I havent used my Warwick Thumb for nearly a year.

I bought this brand new in 1999 (not my photo, but identical) and it's a cracking bass. A mate of mine who runs a studio was very impressed with it, and I managed to find one on eBay in January the other year for £116, which I would happily have kept, but he wanted it for the studio, so, owing him a favour as I did, I let him have it for my cost.

It's now apparently the 'go to' bass, and if he ever has problems getting a good sound from a client, he offers this. This is usually met with a rather reluctant acceptance of 'giving it ago', wherein, within 5 minutes, people are raving about it. BBG4A - Active circuitry, does the P and J stuff real well, and they were about £320 new back in 1999. Someone on here was selling agreen one at about the time I bought the second one on eBay, but I don't remember whom : I wonder if he kept it. I recollect it had been bought for an eighties band project which fell through.

Edited by The Admiral

[quote]What they do have an impressive skill in is copying[/quote]

I'd say it's more engineering they have impressive skill in, far more than their aesthetic design skills. It's kind of like Japanese cars, they're superb, beautifully made, but miss the target visually - there was a feature a while ago that said European and American cars used compound radius curves and Japanese contestant radius ones to explain one of the differences in fundamental design outlook. Don't know if that's true but Yamaha basses look more "clunky" and less beautiful to my eye than, say, a fender.
Anyway I still want a 2024 :)

Edited by BobVbass

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1433482729' post='2791381']far more than their aesthetic design skills. It's kind of like Japanese cars, they're superb, beautifully made, but miss the target visually - there was a feature a while ago that said European and American cars used compound radius curves and Japanese contestant radius ones to explain one of the differences in fundamental design outlook.
[/quote]

But is that a Western outlook though? I see Japanese design in a different light, and it appeals to me greatly on a lot of levels.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1433443029' post='2791175']
and your old BB400 was good - which ended up with me finding my BB1200 :D (what's wrong with the actives?)
Lucky thing - a TRB would be my choice to try as a first 5er - actually thats not the worst idea in the world....
[/quote]
Yes the BB200 and BB300 were good basses too. New budget basses aren't quite the same in today's market!
Not sure what's wrong with the actives in the 1100s. Replaced the dead battery just after buying it and after a fizzle and a pop never worked again...blown capacitor?... who knows? That said I've been using it as a passive bass with flats and a damper on it, sounds amazing!

Edited by Bassistclem

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1431105497' post='2767895']
I suspect that personal taste will come in to play when it comes to that decision! My personal tastes had me very impressed with the Nathan East BBNE2 model.
[/quote]
I agree. I'm not sure its worth the £2400 or so being asked by retailers (especially considering they sell for £1400 in Japan) but its a very good bass none the less. Some of the version 1 (through necked) TRB5 basses are very good, particularly if you like wide string spacing. But they rarely come up for sale these days.

I never liked the look of the BB basses until I stopped thinking of it as a Precision clone, and saw it more as a blend of a P bass and a Gibson SG style body, then it made sense. Shallow, but true. And once you hear one....wow!!!

[/quote]

Think I remember seeing that one & commenting here about it!

Sunburst?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1433418487' post='2790880']
Yamaha have their fingers in an incredible number of pies. What they do have an impressive skill in is copying.
[/quote]
I'm having trouble working out which basses the TRBs and RBXs are copies of.

[attachment=193990:DSCF0960.JPG]

[attachment=193991:DSCF0939.JPG]

Hundreds of gigs done with these... all have flat wounds and give me any tone i want, consistently... i have tried everything from Alembic, Wal and Ric to every Fender you can buy and most things inbetween... my Yamahas just feel and sound great....... the right tool for the right job as far as i am concerned.

For me, Yamaha put as much into their cheaper (money wise) basses as they do their higher priced ones.

I don't need anything else....

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1433930762' post='2795112']
Love that blue one Smudge---is it a custom paintjob?
[/quote]

Thank you!... not to everyone's taste i'm sure.

Both are... i had always promised myself that i would have one or two custom painted basses, these were done by a guy in Plymouth called "the Big Nosed Dragon"... Chris when he isn't at work :-)

I like them...

• 1 year later...

[url="https://www.bax-shop.nl/rechtshandige-bas/yamaha-trbx504-translucent-brown-elektrische-basgitaar/product-details.html?gclid=CjsKDwjw6qnJBRDpoonDwLSeZhIkAIpTR8ICc6trVDn0WtBXJyjUJk8NbrPojcHehiq30eBww-M8GgLgufD_BwE"]https://www.bax-shop...w-M8GgLgufD_BwE[/url]

The Yamaha TRBX504 and 505 are amazing basses. I have the idea this bass sounds like the Yamaha with two humbuckers produced for Louis Johnson.

Edited by Muziekschuur