Why become a member? ×

Aftermarket Jazz necks- any advice welcomed

oh...it's_a_squier

Hi everyone,
I'm currently putting together a p/j bitsa and have everything I need either in hand or on order except the neck, which is where it's all starting to cause a bit of a headache.
I've seen that Fender now sell mexican made necks for around £200, which doesn't seem too bad considering it's a finished neck from Fender themselves. I could probably import something basic and unfinished from Warmoth for a similar price but I'm not too sure if I want those blasted heavy and unnecessary steel stiffening rods as I'm aiming for a lightweight bass and I fear neck dive. Allparts will sell me a rosewood-board neck for £206 (unfinished) or £320 (finished) which seems like a lot of money.
Has anyone any thoughts on my best option of the three/ anything I haven't considered?
Is an Allparts neck better than a MIM Fender?
Am I an idiot to dismiss Warmoth because of those rods?
Should I just buy a Squier and part the rest out?
Any input would be really appreciated.

Mighty mite neck are pretty good and can get one for about £100. The internet suggests they may need a bit of fret work etc to be ok, but I imported one from the states and it was fine. I wouldn't buy a Fender neck if I were you, most of the cost is going on the name.

Had a couple of Warmoths back in the day. They may be very slightly heavier than 'normal', but th custom options and quality make them superb IMO. You can also get them with graphite rods and slimmer options which will help with weight.

Check out the for sale threads here too...something will come up pretty quickly and you'll get a good deal :)

How about a Status neck? They are lightweight and extremely stable and with an action to die for. Don't know the price, though, but I'm sure it's on their Web page.
Mighty mite necks are reasonable quality and not too expensive either.
And then there are these guys:
www.guitarbuild.co.uk/
Haven't tried their necks, but their bodies are great.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1428074443' post='2737827']
I'd just buy a used Fender neck.
[/quote]

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1428074448' post='2737828']
Check out the for sale threads here too...something will come up pretty quickly and you'll get a good deal :)
[/quote]

I have been looking the last couple of months, I just haven't seen anything yet. I was beginning to think they don't come up very often.

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1428074448' post='2737828']
Mighty mite neck are pretty good and can get one for about £100. The internet suggests they may need a bit of fret work etc to be ok, but I imported one from the states and it was fine. I wouldn't buy a Fender neck if I were you, most of the cost is going on the name.
[/quote]

I did actually buy one of these, great quality but it was REALLY thin so ended up exchanging it for a precision neck, which is also lovely but I've decided I do want a Jazz neck after all. Maybe if I put that precision neck up as a potential trade I could find someone with a spare Jazz neck...

[quote name='MrWalker' timestamp='1428074618' post='2737831']
How about a Status neck? They are lightweight and extremely stable and with an action to die for. Don't know the price, though, but I'm sure it's on their Web page.
[/quote]

Around £300. Which doesn't actually seem bad for what it is... might research this a little more, despite it being more than I was hoping to spend. No idea what the profile is like though.

£395 for a USA Fender neck.

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/bodies-necks-c5/necks-c585/fender-fender-american-medium-jumbo-rosewood-jazz-bass-neck-099-3700-921-p3827

Not that I'm going to be buying one, but I wonder if it's possible to buy Modern Player Chinese made Fender necks. When I tried one, it played find as far as I can see.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1428077275' post='2737883']
£395 for a USA Fender neck.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/bodies-necks-c5/necks-c585/fender-fender-american-medium-jumbo-rosewood-jazz-bass-neck-099-3700-921-p3827"]http://www.stringsdi...-3700-921-p3827[/url]

Not that I'm going to be buying one, but I wonder if it's possible to buy Modern Player Chinese made Fender necks. When I tried one, it played find as far as I can see.
[/quote]

I saw those USA necks, but way out of my price range I'm afraid. Like you, I find those cheaper necks play just fine, but you just can't buy them! :(

These from Custom World Guitars in Holland seem to be well regarded and are decently priced: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-neck-rosewood-with-pearl-block-inlay-vintage-style-38mm-nut-C-shape-/121574156470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4e6268b6 (all maple ones available too)
Nearly got one for my '75 AVRI, but found a '70's Fender one on US eBay

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1428079081' post='2737904']
These from Custom World Guitars in Holland seem to be well regarded and are decently priced: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-neck-rosewood-with-pearl-block-inlay-vintage-style-38mm-nut-C-shape-/121574156470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4e6268b6"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c4e6268b6[/url] (all maple ones available too)
[/quote]

I have heard good things about these as well.

Your best bet is to keep your eye on the for sale items here. You'll be able to pick up a used Allparts or Warmoth neck for less than half the cost of a new one. I've got a Status Graphite Jazz neck on a Warmoth body, and it is lovely, but be prepared to pay around 360 incl VAT and delivery. I've managed to pick up an unused Allparts J body and used J neck (with blocks and binding), combined for a lot less on here than the price of a graphite neck.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1428091564' post='2738079']
Aye, I've just picked up (not on here) a US Fender neck for not much over £100.

There are necks about.
[/quote]

Wow, what a bargain. If there's anyone around who can sell me a good condition 5 string USA Jazz or Precision neck, fretted or fretless, whatever the fretboard wood species, for £100, then I'd buy it immediately.

I'm going to be keeping a bit more of an eye out for bargains.

I bought a Warmoth Jazz neck from their shop stock (so not a custom build). Not quite rosewood, but Pau Ferro fingerboard & the steel stiffening rods.
It is on the chunky side for a Jazz, but I like it as I usually play a Precision, and they do offer a slim option if necessary.
I haven't really noticed the weight of the rods, but I do have Ultralite tuners on it, so that probably offsets the weight.
Remember they do the graphite rod option too, much lighter but more money.

I must say that it's a lovely neck! Plays beautifully.

Si

For mine, I knew which neck I wanted - an American Special Jazz neck. One trip to ebay store The Stratosphere later, it was on its way. But it probably cost as much as an American Standard by the time it got to me...
However, it's one of my two dream basses, and the other is a Squier bitsa!

I recently bought a P bass body from this ebay seller in Italy. Quality was pretty amazing, with very precise and clean routing. Price was amazing as well.

He currently doesn't have a neck listed, but through various ebay messages, he will make you anything.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/nrdbass/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

cheers

D.

I've used Mighty Mite necks on both the bitsa Precision and Jazz basses I built many moons ago. I bought the pair of them for around £70 each at the time, so prices will have inflated a bit since. As the Precision body I bought was also Mighty Mite, I had no issues fitting it with either the P or J neck. Luckily, the first Jazz body I bought (a cheap non-branded one) also accommodated the Mighty Mite without issue and I eventually bought a Mighty Mite Jazz body also, having been impressed with the body on the P.

I bought a Mighty Mite neck for my 62 RI precision from bluebass320 on eBay about 4 years ago. It has been superb. It hasn't even needed a single truss rod adjustment since I had it fitted. It didn't need fret dressing or anything. My luthier just bolted it to the body, sorted the nut out, attached the tuners and set the action. He has a jazz neck for sale at the moment with rosewood fretboard. The decal is already on the headstock too. I'm not affiliated with bluebass320 in anyway, just a previous happy customer.

Brought loads of necks. They can't really be lighter in any real terms.

Warmoth - I have an unfinished ebony boarded jazz neck. the second best aftermarket neck I've touched, no need for any finish it's smooth as silk and so easy to play, finished excellently. Against the cost this is the best option.

All parts neck - I had a rosewood bound and block neck from them. I hated it and it cost more than the warmoth neck. Sounded fine but it just wasn't finished to the same standard as the warmoth neck.

Fender necks - says on the tin really decent enough for the price, finished reasonably well, IMO a bit over priced.

MM aftermarket necks - for the price these are excellen, had an all maple one on a jazz and it was excellent. Nice and smooth frets weren't rough, and for the price nothing can really beat it.

Status neck - brilliant amazing, my favourite neck. Weighs the same as any other neck though. Excellent quality sounds the dogs danglies and has the most consistent sound over the fingerboard. Worth it if you can afford it, but they are expensive.

Perceived neck weight will come from headstock choice, a shorter headstock will be a little lightwe and help counter neck dive. The rest of the weight will be down to your choice of tuners.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1429056265' post='2747605']
Looking to build myself a p/j bass but really gassing for a block and bound jazz neck on a rosewood board, anyone have any joy with any aftermarket necks of this type?
[/quote]

I bought one of these from Custom World Guitar parts - about £115. Not bad but the frets definitely need some work - action isnt that low and the thing buzzes like crazy.