Why become a member? ×

ASHDOWN EXPERTS. NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE?

Greg.Bassman

I've come to love my ashdown for it's incredible low end, sadly, I'm having trouble getting clarity of the notes. Anything played on the E and A strings sound ace (cause I FEEL them! lol), but anything on the D and G strings never seem to cut through enough.

I've tried dialling in more Mids and Treble, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is this just the nature of the amp or is there anything I can do to bring them higher notes back into the mix, ie EQ adjustment? (setting recommendations please)

What do you reckon? Is there anything I can do to my current head, or am I looking at buying into another brand here?

All feedback appreciated! Cheers.

P.S- I use the ABM 500 EVO III. Here are my current setting (please see attached)

Edited by Greg.Bassman

Well, you could adjust the amp so the D string and G string are loud enough and have the right amount of bass and treble. Then play the A string. If it (and the E) is extra loud,lower the pickup to make them less-loud, Or reduce your lowEQ (50-100HZ). Or raise your high-bass EQ (100-200HZ).

Isn't that a characteristic of the Ashdown sound?

You say what your amp is, but which cab do you have?
If the cab's designed to sound like that, you're not going to get what you're looking for from it (like trying to get tea out a coffee bean).

Edited by xgsjx

You need [i]that[/i] much bass boost on an Ashdown ? They're naturally bass-heavy IMHO.

Every Ashdown I've played has benefited from cutting the bass - try starting off with the rotary at ~9 o'clock and go from there.

I'd say cut that bass and turn up, you really are boosting a [i]huge[/i] amount of bass there, especially if you're using the shape control as well.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1428044761' post='2737304']
You need [i]that[/i] much bass boost on an Ashdown ? The'rey naturally bass-heavy IMHO.

Every Ashdown I've played has benefited from cutting the bass - the rotary's at ~9 o'clock.

I'd say cut that bass and turn up !
[/quote]
I have to agree, I used an ABM500 EVO RC for a few years and I never had the bass knob past noon, cutting it had a much more positive impact. The bottom end must be absolutely thunderous with it wound that high, which is probably the reason you're struggling to get any definition from the higher strings. Give it a try next time you rehearse.

My ABM 500 sounds much better through my current cab (Barefaced Super Twin) than it ever did through the Ashdown 410 I used to use. I would also suggest experimenting with string gauges, some of my basses sound more balanced strung 105-45, others 105-50.

Thank you all for your feedback. I've taken all of it on board and will give it a go next time I'm in rehearsal! Cheers :)

I forgot to mention that I used to play a lot of reggae lol, so have always been used to a very thick, sub driven tone- old habit s'pose lol. Recently, I find myself playing a lot of funk/disco- so I s'pose its time to adapt my tone! ;)

P.S - I use the ABM 410 cab with it.

Turn back that bass dial, dude! I've found that turning the bass knob down and slightly boosting the low-mid sliders gives me a nice tight, round bottom with plenty of definition in the context of the band. I tend to shape my sound primarily with the sliders and the mid knob and then adjust the bass and treble according to the room.

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1428182429' post='2738967']
Turn back that bass dial, dude! I've found that turning the bass knob down and slightly boosting the low-mid sliders [b]gives me a nice tight, round bottom[/b] with plenty of definition in the context of the band.
[/quote]

And I thought it was just the jeans you were wearing!