Why become a member? ×

5 String - not flavour of the month?

Bobthedog

Perhaps it is just because I have just bought one, but am I seeing more 5s for sale than usual at the moment?

Are they really that hard to switch too? I am slowly getting into mine and yes it tough due to string spacing but it does not seem too hard.

I have read some technical bumph about why studios do not like the B string, but why are there so many for sale? Thoughts anyone (humorous ones too are acceptable)?

I find the six string a very different animal, while the fiver required minimal adaptation from fur strings.
It is true that they are not fashionable nowadays, at least you would get that impression watching tv: old, beat up four string is the required accessory this minute :D

[quote name='Shedua511' timestamp='1427913263' post='2735860']It is true that they are not fashionable nowadays, at least you would get that impression watching tv: old, beat up four string is the required accessory this minute :D
[/quote]

+1

You don't need a 5 string to be in Mumford & Son.

I bought my first 5 string about 20 years ago after watching Nathan East playing a Yamaha TRB6 and making it look so easy. After a trip up to a 6 string I went back to a 4 string and used a 4 string exclusively for about the last 7-8 years until I bought my Yamaha BB425 at the beginning of the year.

Personally I think a lot of it depends on what you play. The 4 with a D-tuner was all I needed at the time but I now need a 5. I don't see myself ever needing a 6 but I don't think I ever did. I may go back to a 4 in the future if my band changes, who knows?

I think what I'm trying to say is that things change and you may no longer need what you used to have. I remember seeing Guy Pratt playing a Status 5 string with Pink Floyd but nowadays I've mainly seen him either playing his Burgundy Jazz, a Precision of some description or his Status thingy that he helped design.

I struggled with a 5er but I think this was because I was constantly changing back to a 4 string and couldn't get used to the change in string spacings. I'm commited to 4 strings now, I won't be buying another 5er (or a fretless which look so cool without frets).

Wasn't there a stage a few weeks ago where there were several fretlesses for sale and a few months ago several MM Rays??

A 5 is a 4.

For guys looking for short scale basses but liking the sound of long scale, then get a 5 and play everything from the 5th fret upwards. You've also got the extra low notes if you want them.

I went 4 to 5 to 6 back to 5 then back to 6 and I've stayed with a 6, a 5 or a 6 just seems to make sense to me, a 4 doesn't.

I cannot find the article I read only yesterday from a studio sound engineer going all scientific on me and saying special kit was needed etc etc, but I did read it, honest. :-)

My question really arose out of the fact some of the sellers on here appear to be going back to 4s as they are struggling.

My only complaint with mine is the low tension strings so I may put flat wounds on it. I am used to those on my P bass, my main player at the moment.

Well, the guy Mark who owns Bass Direct said in Guitar and Bass magazine last month, "The reality is that, if you are playing contemporary pop/party music from the 70`s onwards, you really benefit from using a 5 string bass."

He also says he can see the 4 string, e-g bass becoming obsolete. A bit of a sweeping statement in my view but everyone has their own opinions.

The five string seems to have a bright future but not for me.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1427919588' post='2735964']
I cannot find the article I read only yesterday from a studio sound engineer going all scientific on me and saying special kit was needed etc etc, but I did read it, honest. :-)

My question really arose out of the fact some of the sellers on here appear to be going back to 4s as they are struggling.

My only complaint with mine is the low tension strings so I may put flat wounds on it. I am used to those on my P bass, my main player at the moment.
[/quote]

If you go to off topic there's a thread about how good/bad is your memory hehehe ;)

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1427919935' post='2735970']
Well, the guy Mark who owns Bass Direct said in Guitar and Bass magazine last month, "The reality is that, if you are playing contemporary pop/party music from the 70`s onwards, you really benefit from using a 5 string bass."

He also says he can see the 4 string, e-g bass becoming obsolete. A bit of a sweeping statement in my view but everyone has their own opinions.

[/quote]

I don't think the 4 string will become obsolete, there are far too many people comfortable with them. The 5 has been here since the early 1980s, so it's not going to go away :)

I doubt the 5 string will ever completely replace the 4. A common thing I seem to read is that the P Bass is still the most favoured bass by studio engineers because it sits in the mix so well. The 5 still has it's place too, but only when the music demands a low Eb (or lower).

Switched to using a 5 in 1996, have rarely picked up a 4 since then, although I would be tempted to get a nice Jazz or P 4 string just to see how I'd get on without low B.... :o.

[quote name='Qlank' timestamp='1427922010' post='2736003']
The only 5er I heard live that sounded any good was a 5 string Fender Jazz. Mind you, the chap doing the mix was a professor of acoustic engineering.
Not knocking 5ers, but.......not for me.
[/quote]

The two 5 string Fenders I've owned were probably the worst 5 string basses I've played :), everyone's different though.

[/quote]

Had an interesting chat with Mark (I think - terrible at remembering names) on the merits of 4 v 5 v 6 when I bought my Dingwall from them. He made some very good points about a 5 giving you more vertical options without the need to move along the neck so much.

When I moved from 4 to 5 I still played it like a 4 - only really used the B string for the extra 5 notes which was to miss the real point of the thing.

Didn't take me too long to retrain myself and it's still not totally fluid but getting better. When I pick up my old 4-string now I find I miss the flexibilty. It did take me a while to find the right neck profile though - really didn't get on with the thick D of the Warwick I had but the thin flattened C on the Dingwall is sublime.

I can see the point about a 4 becoming less common than 5 eventually - it already is for much metal genres and dance/pop.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1427922733' post='2736018']
He made some very good points about a 5 giving you more vertical options without the need to move along the neck so much.

When I moved from 4 to 5 I still played it like a 4 - only really used the B string for the extra 5 notes which was to miss the real point of the thing.

[/quote]

That's the mistake an awful lot of people make, and the reason why they sell them on. In their mind they're still playing a 4, and they have some lower notes.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1427919588' post='2735964']
I cannot find the article I read only yesterday from a studio sound engineer
[/quote]

Hey Bob..... not that I don't believe you read it..... I don't believe him.

There are 5ers in Blues, Rock, Metal, Soul, Pop, Country, Jazz, Fusion, Hip Hop; I can't think of a genre where 5ers aren't being played.

People can play as many or few strings as they are comfortable with. IMO 5's have never been a fashion, but are a serious addition to the world of bass playing and they bring unique advantages. I can play any number that was recorded on a 4 string bass without exception, but I don't think 5's will replace 4 string basses. Those two designs will live together, as will fretted and fretless, because there will always be guys who will chose to play those instruments.

I've been told that the old songs should be played on 4's because that's what they were recorded on. I don't buy any of that nonsense. If a number was recorded on a 4 it will sound just as good when I play it on a 5. IMO the only limitation is in how you play a number, not the instrument.

[/quote]

I'm in this camp, my precision is unbelievable; the best ive owned and played...

But, the five string is what I need for the band. The P sits on a stand looking cool.

I'm just about to take delivery of another 5, my acoustic bass is a 5, and I have a passive backup 5 to my active 5.

God knows 2 years ago I was a 4 string fender type player for 10+ years.

Funny how it all changes.