Why become a member? ×

the one we sold and now regret

greyparrot

[quote name='greyparrot' post='265083' date='Aug 18 2008, 11:33 PM']a 75 jazz bass[/quote]

Eeek! that had to hurt!

Ive only sold a squire mb5 i had, i do miss it every now and then. I need to get rid of another bass, but its so hard to decide which one needs to go, so watch this space.

I had various Fenders in the early 80's that were just 'old Fenders' at the time (mainly 70's models but I'm sure I had a mid 60's one... at the time it was just a tatty old bass :huh: ) and we swapped/traded them for the latest new fangled bass (Washburn/Ibanez/Warwick) as they (the old Fenders) were just old hat with dodgy necks and noisy pups :)

However of all of the basses I still miss one of the earliest JV Squier basses with the big Fender logo, small Squier... at the time I was chuffed with the £125 I got for it. Not ars*d that it would be worth x5/6/7/8/9/10 that amount but it was just a cracking bass :huh:

Oh and I ALWAYS regret selling any Warwick :huh:

[quote name='greyparrot' post='265083' date='Aug 18 2008, 11:33 PM']Well mine was a 75 jazz bass (ouch) and a salmon pink 82 squire p bass with tortoise shell pick guard. They are the first to my mind!

Ouch!![/quote]
Oh, don't start! It's all too painful thinking about them... I miss some of my old basses more than I miss some of the women who've had the misfortune to know me over the years.. if you know what I mean :)

[quote name='Jase' post='265131' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:37 AM']Nah, don't mind me mate.....I was just fooling around myself. :)[/quote]

Phew ! I managed to pull it off !

OK - I'll stop now - unless me & you Jase turn it into a double ententre thread & see if anyone notices or joins in.

[quote name='brummie' post='265135' date='Aug 18 2008, 11:42 PM']Phew ! I managed to pull it off !

OK - I'll stop now - unless me & you Jase turn it into a double ententre thread & see if anyone notices or joins in.[/quote]

There are a few guys here that would beat me hands down in that dept...legends they are...legends I tell ya!

I kinda wish I'd kept my first ever bass (a 3/4 scale Encore P Bass copy) just for sentimental reasons. It sounded absolutely brutal, and looked like something you'd buy out of a toy shop, but if it weren't for that little piece of wood I wouldn't be where I am today!

My life is littered with 'em...

'73 J:

'83 Walnut Elite P:

'81 Walnut P Special (Currently owned by a BC member!)

Duck Dunn P (The lightest P in existence):

'72 Tele (Sounded like crap plugged in, but a dream to play. I should have put a Dark Star in it):

But, right now, I'm really missing the Tony Franklin I had for about 5 days and sold by accident:

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='265179' date='Aug 19 2008, 07:50 AM']A Travis Bean 2000 series bass #222.

I lost interest in the bass and part-exchanged it for an Ibanez Roadster. Read that last sentence again. Part-exchanged. I gave up my TB and gave cash to acquire an Ibanez Roadster!

I still think about that TB once or twice a day.

P[/quote]

Damn, feel your pain on that one – I’ve been looking for a fretless one (in fact any one) for around twenty years!
Only one lost bass love really – a mid-‘80’s Gordon Crook custom fretless (know nothing about him except he was Somerset based), very similar to a Wal Mk 1 in shape and feel, other than being neck-through. Sold her for virtually sod all at some low point when I’d given up on bass, still miss it.
Also a nice original ‘70’s Orange valve head , traded for some nasty Laney thing ages ago before I understood you actually had to change the valves now and again.

I've not sold anything I really regret but I am trying to decide whether to part with my Warwick Streamer Std as I've not played it since I got my (now modified with Wizards and BadAss2) VM Jazz. The Warwick is a great playing and sounding bass but it isn't getting played, so maybe it's time to let go?

My Jazz is easily the best sounding bass I've had, mainly thanks to the choice mods I think. I'm now wondering what a Corvette Std with a set of Wizards would sound like....

[quote name='Shaggy' post='265202' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:34 AM']Damn, feel your pain on that one – I’ve been looking for a fretless one (in fact any one) for around twenty years![/quote]

Not trying to hijack the thread, but this [i]was [/i]fretless for a while. The original board hadn't adhered properly to the aluminium in a couple of spots, so I had an ebony board put on (and a BadAss bridge) by a luthier based in Kingston (he was a British Airways engineer and made baroque instruments in his spare time. Let's just say he knew glue!). It was later refretted by Dick Knight.

It was a beauty, would be worth a small fortune now.
P

I regret parting with almost all of the basse I've sold, but the ones I lament the most are: F Bass BN4 (I thought I had to sell it due to a pending move aborad which hasn't happened :) ), S/B Fender 76 P Bass (this was immaculate with all the original guards etc - the amount of times I've wished I had a P Bass since, and that one was a corker) and finally my Warwick Thumb BO 4 (sounded simply brilliant in a band setting, couldn't coax a bad sound out of it. Played wonderfully as well).

There are others, but those are my biggest regrets.