Why become a member? ×

Nice comment for the bass player for a change!

barneyg42

So usually it's all comments about our girls voice or how the guitarist is better than Hendrix and usually the comments to me are about my sparkly LEDs. Guy came up last night, a guitarist, and said I was the most confident bassist he had seen, so in control and at one with the bass! He said I made it look so easy. At 54 years old I've finally made it, I can put my gear in storage and retire!!
Actually it was a very nice compliment and I had never thought of my playing like that, I'll probably play like a twat tonight to prove him wrong!!

was once told after a gig with a classic heavy rock band that i had a weird sound ?
when quizzed the guy said i sounded like a pick player but i use my fingers.

Secret is grow your fingernails enough to catch the string and give it that edge.

Nice tho and i took it as a compliment.
Dave

I had a guy come up to me after a gig a few weeks ago to say I had the best bass sound he'd ever heard.
I was quietly glowing inside.

Chatted for a few minutes then he said it was the first gig he'd ever been to.......

Doh!

Over the years there have been loads of "no one cares about the bass player" threads, which I think just isn't true.

In the last 4 gigs I've had 3 guys come up to me and compliment me on my sound and playing and 4 ladies who told me that they were dancing to the sound of the bass.

We [i]are[/i] appreciated, [i]what[/i] we play and [i]how[/i] we sound is important. My dep is a very, very good player, but the band tells me they prefer my playing. It took them about 3 years to bother to tell me.

So don't assume silence means that people aren't listening and appreciating.

Since I`ve been playing with a trebly/driven sound I`ve had a fair few people come up to me and say how awesome they thought the bass was. Never ever happened when I had a deep, rich, warm tone. Moral of the story, try to be a guitarist and people will like you :lol:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1427759508' post='2734049']
Compliments are nice however I take them with a grain of salt. I know when I'm having a good night and I know when I have a bad one too.

Blue
[/quote]

This is also true , in the covers band world the enjoyment or lack of by the punters isn't always inline with the quality of the band. I remember offending a singer after a really good function by saying they'd have danced to anything that lot

Edited by lojo

I always thought we were like football referees (soccer for you Blue), in that you don't notice a good one.

That's what I've convinced myself anyway. I've played gigs where I've gone to the toilet at the break and stood next to people discussing the band without them recognising me. Thankfully it was fairly complimentary.

We done a gig where we was the first band on on. The bassist of the next band came up to me and commented that there was some nice bass playing going on and I was a good player. This embarrassed me somewhat and I muttered something about the onstage sound being terrible and I couldnt hear a thing up there.
He must have thought to himself: "What an arsehole"
:(

Edited by Hobbayne

I'm always very gracious to anyone that takes the time to tell me that they enjoyed my playing or the band but I always hold on to one venue during my formative playing years where after a storming gig with a band that I knew were good (loads of technical playing mixed with comedy and showmanship). A punter staggers over and with wide eyes and told me that we were the best band they had ever seen in the venue. Awesome!! Weeks later I depped with a mates band. They weren't a patch on us and quite ropey......same venue...... Same punter....... Lo and behold staggers over and tells me that we are the best band they'd ever had.......
Compliments are nice but I don't validate my ability by opinions of the local rummy.

Of course you judge yourself and the band on more than the audience reaction, but the main objective is that the punters always come away thinking they had a great time and we were the reason. Promoters like that as well.

My cover band usually goes down well which, over the years, has caused some complacency. Now we're in a process of rebuilding the set and focusing on how we play it. We got sloppy and now we're tightening everything up. Some of the band members are not comfortable being analyzed, but it's working and I think were playing better than ever and the reaction to us is improving.

Compliments are the litmus test for a band. Whether we deserve them or not, I'll take as many as I can get. But there's no rose coloured specs here.